How do I know if a Repeater is working? Can someone explain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 16:41    Post subject: How do I know if a Repeater is working? Can someone explain? Reply with quote
OK, after an exciting flashing to DD-WRT, I finally did it!

I wanted to use my WRT54G v5 (firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro) as a repeater just to experiment what is it all about.

I live in an apartment and I do not actually need it but like I said I wanted to see it. Is there any disadvantages using a repeater?

My main router is WNR3500L running Tomato. 192.168.1.1

WRT54G is the repeater. 192.168.69.1

Both set to WEP. Both have the same password/key.

In the Tomato Device List, I see the repeater connected.

And the in DD-WRT status page, everything looks fine.

I did not set it as Universal Wireless Repeater meaning did not use nvram set wl_ssid="" command. Do I have to?

How do I know if the repeater is working because I do not notice any speed or quality increase?

Does everything looks normal/correct?

Main router's SSID is puppy (yeah thanks to my wife) Smile
Repeater's SSID is repeater (duh!)

tomato.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.48 KB
 Viewed:  29243 Time(s)

tomato.png

dd-wrt.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.8 KB
 Viewed:  29243 Time(s)

dd-wrt.png

Sponsor
CyberMariano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a very clear and easy-to-do tutorial in the wiki, that explains how to setup a dd-wrt router into repeater mode. Do it, I did it and it works great.
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
CyberMariano wrote:
There's a very clear and easy-to-do tutorial in the wiki, that explains how to setup a dd-wrt router into repeater mode. Do it, I did it and it works great.

I honestly think I am doing it right. I can ping 192.168.1.1 which is my host router. I see the WAN IP 192.168.1.130 up on top right corner. However, the signal strength never changes.

I used this guide which is the same/VERY similar one I used with pictures.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

At first connection, like after I reboot the repeater, the signal quality of the repeater shows 94 out of 100 under my host router. However, in few seconds the quality drops the 26.

What am I doing wrong???
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
celo wrote:

At first connection, like after I reboot the repeater, the signal quality of the repeater shows 94 out of 100 under my host router. However, in few seconds the quality drops the 26.

What am I doing wrong???

The signal strength change is completely normal. When I boot / reboot my router, all the wireless clients show 100% till they either get accessed or transfer data on their own.

I am sure there is a more elegant explanation and I am only guessing but it takes a bit and data needs to transfer so real values can be obtained and calculated.

I have ip cams that will show 100% until either I access it (them), or it decides to access an ntp server to update its internal clock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
celo wrote:

What am I doing wrong???

The signal strength change is completely normal. When I boot / reboot my router, all the wireless clients show 100% till they either get accessed or transfer data on their own.

I am sure there is a more elegant explanation and I am only guessing but it takes a bit and data needs to transfer so real values can be obtained and calculated.

I have ip cams that will show 100% until either I access it (them), or it decides to access an ntp server to update its internal clock.

Hey Barryware,

How are you?

But do you think that 26 quality is normal? It looks like the signal does not increase at all. I have screenshots of the signals before I set it up as a repeater and actually it is few numbers worse now.???
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
26 is fine. Your noise is pretty high. And the build you are using sucks.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
26 is fine. Your noise is pretty high. And the build you are using sucks.

I had such a trouble with upgrading, I was happy to make it work with any firmware! I almost bricked it :)

Which one would you prefer for the version V5? Thanks!
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second link in my sig....

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded it to r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Nothing changed as far as increased signal quality.

When the repeater is connected via ethernet cable to my computer, I can ping my host router, 192.168.1.1, and can surf the web, so I guess it is connected correctly???

Maybe I was thinking all my signals would go up to 60-70 range, that's why I feel something is wrong in my setup...
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like celo didnt setup virtual ssid and only set the mode to repeater. The wrt54g will only connect to main router but it does not repeat. Celo, refer to the wiki how to set up repeater properly, its not as simple as setting the mode to repeater bridge.

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
m00nman wrote:
It looks like celo didnt setup virtual ssid and only set the mode to repeater. The wrt54g will only connect to main router but it does not repeat. Celo, refer to the wiki how to set up repeater properly, its not as simple as setting the mode to repeater bridge.

I did unless I made it wrong???

virtual ssid 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.31 KB
 Viewed:  29103 Time(s)

virtual ssid 2.png

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
celo wrote:

Maybe I was thinking all my signals would go up to 60-70 range, that's why I feel something is wrong in my setup...

You won't get 60-70 even if the devices are close. Your signal strength is fine. Your noise is high. Your repeater is working and you have a good build. Leave it.

celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
celo wrote:

You won't get 60-70 even if the devices are close. Your signal strength is fine. Your noise is high. Your repeater is working and you have a good build. Leave it.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. I do not think I will be able to do more than this. It is just the way it is. I will try to move my router to a better place though. Thanks guys!
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
celo wrote:
m00nman wrote:

I did unless I made it wrong???

Hmm, looks like you indeed set it up properly. Sorry for confusion Embarassed

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I know it is online but I would like a more simple answer if possible. What is Repeater and what is Repeater Bridge?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: