9Mb/s max throughput on DD-WRT54GL (various builds)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rkaid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:11    Post subject: 9Mb/s max throughput on DD-WRT54GL (various builds) Reply with quote
Hi There,

Hoping to pick some of your brains, as I have truly completed the logic table of testing without an answer to my issue, the issue being, I cannot sustain data movement over my wifi network over ~8Mm/s.

History: I setup two WRT54GL’s with DD-WRT in late 2008. One unit was setup as the AP and bridged with a TP-LInk ADSL modem. The second was setup as a wifi bridge.
With around 10 clients inside the LAN, it ran flawlessly and was never rebooted in 14months.
I'm was pretty sure i saw speeds of about 28Mb/s

I then moved house twice and now cannot get more then 9Mb/s

The clients are Android phones, an XP laptop, Vista laptop, Win7 desktop and an Ubuntu laptop. Wiif b g and N adaptors. Measuring speed via NetMeter, LAN Speed Test, as well as using the built in metres in the OS.

| I reset the main unit back to default, re-setup, no difference.
| Flashed to newest recommended 13064 build, no difference.
| Flashed to V24-Sp2 (07/22/09) std build 12548M NEWD Eko build (as listed in Wiki) no difference.
| Thinking the environment could be the issue, have taken the device and two XP clients to two separate locations. I set wifi channel to 4 (as the only other AP was ch 11) ran no security, and still, no difference. Speed always hovers around 7-9 Mb/s

How can it be DD-WRT? - I'm resetting, connecting to AP, and getting the slow speeds.
How can it be a device? - its effecting both units
How can it be a specific client? - I'm using so many machines to test
How can it be my home environment? - I get the same slow speed at a mates place, plus at work.

I think i have done my fair share of research, though most speed issues seem to be attributed to specific builds, clients, noisy environments etc.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions in the matter would be HIGHLY appreciated. 8Mb/s is hugely limiting chokepoint in my network (plus just makes me feel really stupid as I'm an IT geek by day)

Thanks
Michael
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You gave a lot of info but it's not clear how exactly you're connecting all the devices during the tests. If you're doing WIFI <-> AP <-> WIFI anywhere within the end to end topology between hosts then your throughput is quite high. If you're doing WIFI <-> AP <-> Ethernet then it's only about half what you should get in ideal circumstances. You also left out information about your distance/SNR/link rate to tell if you really have an ideal environment or not.
rkaid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Thank you kindly for the response. Sorry about not being as clear as i could have been.

I get the exact same speed issues as i do in my home production network as i do in test, so i have been concentrating on getting the test scenario working, then apply it to my production

(Production setup, see attachment)
Test setup, simply the router with two wifi clients connected to it.

Procedures Iv tried:
1- Take a WRT54GL, reset it, set admin password, connect two XP laptops, run “LAN Speed Test” set file size to 10mb. Read / Write = ~7-9Mbits/s (Confirmed with NetMeter)

2- Take the WRT54GL,, flash with 12548M NEWD, set same as above, same results.

3- Same scenario above, but set WPA2/PSK, change SSID, same result

4 - Same scenario, take to a mates place, use a Win7 machine and a XP machine as wifi clients, same results.

Distance/SNR/link rate,

- Router and clients are within 3m of each other
Client 1 - 35 signal, -91 noise, 59 SNR
Client 2 - 47 signal, -93 noise, 46 SNR
Adaptors always show rates of 54Mb

Network: G Only
Chann: 3
TX Power: 71mW
WPA2 Personal

(Please see attachment for site survey results)

Thanks again! Any suggestions, testing scenario's would be well appreciated. I'm getting well desperate.

Regards
Michael

SS 20-Nov-10 18.39.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.86 KB
 Viewed:  5523 Time(s)

SS 20-Nov-10 18.39.jpg

SS 20-Nov-10 18.35.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.69 KB
 Viewed:  5523 Time(s)

SS 20-Nov-10 18.35.jpg

diesel2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try to connect one of your laptop through a wired cable to the router.

on a G network you should max out around 22-24Megabit/second.

When you are running two wireless clients on the wireless each client uses half the bandwidth. That means you should not see higher speeds than 10-12Megabit/second. Which is what you almost achives.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi diesel2k,

I took the test WRT54GL, 30/30/30 reset it, connected client1 via wire, connected client2 via wifi connection, and indeed got ~17-19Mbs.

I think you have answered my question. Previously when i was seeing 24Mbs (3MBs) one client was on the wire

:(

Are these the type of speeds that others see?

*sigh*

I guess i will need to locate a 300mbs wifi N router capable of a working DD-WRT build.

Thank you kindly those who responded

Regards
Michael
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
You gave a lot of info but it's not clear how exactly you're connecting all the devices during the tests. If you're doing WIFI <-> AP <-> WIFI anywhere within the end to end topology between hosts then your throughput is quite high. If you're doing WIFI <-> AP <-> Ethernet then it's only about half what you should get in ideal circumstances. You also left out information about your distance/SNR/link rate to tell if you really have an ideal environment or not.

Yes, as I said from the start you're getting as much as can be expected out of G spec. It's a shared medium, aka half-duplex, so only one device can transmit at any given moment and all devices have to share the available bandwidth. In this situation between two wifi clients, half the bandwidth is used to tranmist from client 1 to the AP, and the other half is used to transmit from the AP to client 2.

rkaid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi phuzi0n,

Yah, sorry i misunderstood you Embarassed

Thanks for your help!!!

Regards
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: