make fios, actiontec device on same network as ddwrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bbchucks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09    Post subject: make fios, actiontec device on same network as ddwrt Reply with quote
Hi all,
so i followed redhawk's wiki and configured my dd-wrt router connected to the fios' ONT via eth. The actiontec's WAN port is connected to the LANport of my dd-wrt router.
I ran out of lan ports on my dd-wrt router and would like to use the lan ports on the actiontec router.
how can i achieve this and bridge the actiontec router to the dd-wrt via that WAN->Lan link ?

thanks for your help.
Sponsor
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your dd-wrt is 192.168.0.X, then your Actiontec would be 192.168.1.X under different subnet.

So anything connected to the LAN port of the Actiontec would NOT be 192.168.0.XXX, which I think is what you want.

I don't think what you want is possible. But you will still have internet access if you connect a device to the LAN port on the Actiontec.

Why not just get a cheap switch or router and expand the LAN ports on the dd-wrt?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply! and you are exactly right. i am still getting internet connection when i connect a device on the lanport of the Actiontec.
i was curious if there was a way wanted to explore others opinions on here.
what i was also doing was simply connect the lan port of the actiontec to the lan port of my dd-wrt router. which essentially limits my dd-wrt ports to just 2 after that.

i guess there is no way to bridge that Actiontec/WANport connection since it is on a different subnet. as you suspected my actiontec is on 192.168.1x and my dd-wrt is on 192.168.0.x
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Possible to log into the actiontec and change its config to use same subnet?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Possible to log into the actiontec and change its config to use same subnet?

Then, FIOS TV wouldn't work. I think it is a requirement that the Actiontec be on 192.168.1.1, and you cannot have the dd-wrt in the same subnet.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh, i see, just somehow in all of this i seem to believe this could be done using VLANs, but i am not 100% sure because i have only loosely messed with a FIOS setup.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
There may be a way to do a LAN-LAN connection between the two routers - i.e., to have all the devices under 192.168.1.XXX. I think dslreports has a suggested setup in the FIOS forum.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are connected from WAN to the LAN port of the router, you should be on the same subnet already. DHCP disabled...wireless access point.

What, exactly is the problem? Is it just needing more lan ports? Configure the WAN as a LAN? Why are you not bridging the router or plug into the wan port on a different subnet? I don't have a modem, so perhaps I'm just confused....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
couldn't find the link on dslreports. would u happen to have it handy?

my ddwrt is setup as 192.168.0.x
ddwrt wan port -> fios ONT box to get internet DHCP address.
mac spoof is enabled on ddwrt for 192.168.0.200/mac on fios actiontec.

the actiontec fios router's WAN port ip 192.168.0.200 is connected to a LAN port on the dd-wrt.
the fios router is on the 192.168.1.x network/subnet.

so if i change my ddwrt network to 1.x will i be both subnets be the same?

this is all to save some ports on the dd-wrt router lol.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
If all you want it another lan port, plug the cable into the WAN port of the router and set the router to another subnet. Leave dhcp enabled and you are done.

Otherwise, you should be able to plug it into a LAN port on the same (191.68.1.x) subnet as the fios, and configure the WAN port as a switch turning it into a LAN port.

One puts you on different subnet. One puts you on the same subnet. Both allow you to use all five ethernet ports effectively.

This seems so simple to me that it makes me feel that I am missing something....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:

This seems so simple to me that it makes me feel that I am missing something....

QFT, i been scratching my head over this one, thinking this is some kinda complex setup needed, and its really not.

rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbchucks wrote:
couldn't find the link on dslreports. would u happen to have it handy?

Here you go.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15993

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
If all you want it another lan port, plug the cable into the WAN port of the router and set the router to another subnet. Leave dhcp enabled and you are done.

Otherwise, you should be able to plug it into a LAN port on the same (191.68.1.x) subnet as the fios, and configure the WAN port as a switch turning it into a LAN port.

One puts you on different subnet. One puts you on the same subnet. Both allow you to use all five ethernet ports effectively.

I think the problem becomes complex because the Actiontec is specially configured for TV service.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
rhdcheme wrote:
Peabody wrote:

I think the problem becomes complex because the Actiontec is specially configured for TV service.

No need to touch the actiontec device in either method I suggested...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Peabody:

If I understand you fully,I think the first option you mentioned is what he has right now. The second option you mentioned seems to put the FIOS router as the primary router instead of the dd-wrt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: