Is Dual WAN Possable on the Netgear WNDR3700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
verg0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Is Dual WAN Possable on the Netgear WNDR3700 Reply with quote
Hi, I need a dual WAN router for my server setup (for load balance and back up connection for consistency).

Is 'Dual WAN' Possible on the Netgear WNDR3700 ?

If so can anyone give me some pointers on configuration?

If not can anyone recommend a reliable router (preferable with ddwrt and or vpn support)
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't believe it is, for dual wan you would need VLANs which i don't believe right now dd-wrt supports with that unit. With a decent broadcom unit you could do it, a refurbished linksys wrt320n is $40-45 right now. Pretty much any broadcom unit that supports VLANs should work with this...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

These are tested units known to work with VLANs & dd-wrt.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
verg0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, how come it is possable to get Dual WAN working with OpenWRT via the VLAN method?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
verg0 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, how come it is possable to get Dual WAN working with OpenWRT via the VLAN method?

That is something you would have to ask the devs of either firmware, i have seen people say that its possible on openwrt, but when i ask them to post confirmation or pics, they fade away, so really, untill i see it for myself, i don't think it works yet.

Edit: and yes i see you've found that post that claims it, note that in that post, none of what their listing in there shows any functional VLANs. Just output, nothing confirmed or working.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
arokh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLAN works fine with OpenWrt I use it myself to bridge WAN to a switch port on my WNDR3700.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
arokh wrote:
VLAN works fine with OpenWrt I use it myself to bridge WAN to a switch port on my WNDR3700.

Once again, like in the last thread, i asked, can you show output pics of this working or not? Also, aside from moving ports around, does it support 802.1Q?

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700#switch.ports.for.vlans

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Atleast port based for now, no 802.1q

arokh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
arokh wrote:

Once again, like in the last thread, i asked, can you show output pics of this working or not? Also, aside from moving ports around, does it support 802.1Q?

You want me to provide pics of it working?? Seriously?

I suggest you install it and try yourself. It's working, 802.1q trunks as well afaik but I don't use that.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
arokh wrote:
buddee wrote:
arokh wrote:

You want me to provide pics of it working?? Seriously?

I suggest you install it and try yourself. It's working, 802.1q trunks as well afaik but I don't use that.

Already have tried it for myself, can't get 802.1q to work, and maybe i'm missing something, why is asking if you can provide working pics got you so brain bobbled? Either you can or not, its not a complicated thing to ask, seriously.

arokh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because you can take my word for it. I have other things to do with my time. If you need help configuring the switch, the OpenWrt forums is a good place to start.
Silentknyght
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

when i ask them to post confirmation or pics, they fade away, so really, untill i see it for myself, i don't think it works yet.

Lol. With the developments of this thread, it's like you were predicting the future!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL! yea that was good eh?

Well i figured out VLANs on the port lvl are supported, just nothing with 802.1q yet, and yea mostly from what i have seen in the openwrt forum is pretty much same result. Some say working, most say not (802.1q that is, switched ports are fine)

Nothing wrong with confirmation pics, i posted alot of them for the broadcom VLAN testing with dd-wrt.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

I would just like to get more of this types of findings comfirmed with pics for wiki linking, not to mention, i would like Atheros based units to run my whole network, but as is, i need VLAN functionality on 802.1q lvl for my network, so i still have to use some broadcom units that have full VLAN support.

It doesn't really matter to me, be it with dd-wrt or openwrt, i can use either pretty fluently. But i still prefer dd-wrt.

jigglywiggly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any word of this working on dd-wrt now?
chilewillie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 21:58    Post subject: Dual wan on WNDR3700 v2 Reply with quote
I am also trying to set this router up for dual wan. Has anyone been able to do this with dd-wrt, and if so, can you post the solution? I have not been sucessful using the methods shown in the wiki.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: