Best cheap DD-WRT router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
UberB
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25    Post subject: Best cheap DD-WRT router? Reply with quote
I am in the market for a new router and I, along with many others are wondering what would be a cheap router that is well compatible and stable with DD-WRT firmware.


Must Be:

Wireless N
Strong signal and speed
Reliable, even after a few years. i.e. it does not continually lose the signal or require reboots
Well compatible with DD-WRT (i.e. it will probably have to be a Broadcom chip)
No more than $60

Does not need to have:
Dual band
Gigabit
And all the other extremely fancy features.

Right now I am looking at the TP-Link WR941ND which looks very good for its price. The only thing is that it's an Atheros chipset and I have heard of compatibility issues. For Broadcom, there is the E1000 but I have read some bad reviews from Amazon and Newegg.

Of course the best router community is DD-WRT ( Laughing ) so that is why I am eager to hear your opinions!
Sponsor
neo2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just did extensive research on this subject and here are my findings:

Linksys WRT320N
Linksys WRT400N

Both were available recently on amazon and newegg for $60 (new), but I see the prices jumped in the last few days. Maybe they will fall back again.

The differences are:

WRT320N: Broadcom 354MHz (overclock 480MHz), GbE, non-simultaneous dual band
WRT400N: Atheros 680MHz, NO GbE, simultaneous dual band

Both have good DD-WRT support. WRT400N has slightly better wireless performance (although both are very good), simultaneous dual band and faster CPU. WRT320N has Gigabit switch. For me Gigabit switch was important so I ordered WRT320N.
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 2061
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Several options:

Gigabit switch models:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124407



Personally I would go with the RT-N16...You can sometimes find them open box for under $60:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

100MB Switches:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122275

Tried and true, no N, but rock solid:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124408

My personal favorite for the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122273

Ralink based chipset, but very stable from what I've heard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320032


I own one of these and have absolutely no problems:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320039

As well as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124277

_________________
Optware, the Right Way
Asus RT-N66U
Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Asus WL500gPv2 x2
Asus WL500W
D-Link DIR-825B
Engenious ECB3500
Linksys WRT320Nv1
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ210W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ200W
SonicWall TZ190W
SonicWall TZ180W
SonicWall TZ170W
SonicWall TZ105W
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to mention the WRT320N is $40 right now for the refurbished unit, and can be converted to an E2000, hard to beat that for the price.
_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
UberB
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Not to mention the WRT320N is $40 right now for the refurbished unit, and can be converted to an E2000, hard to beat that for the price.


Can you elaborate on this? What exactly are the benefits of converting a WRT320N to an E2000?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
UberB wrote:
buddee wrote:
Not to mention the WRT320N is $40 right now for the refurbished unit, and can be converted to an E2000, hard to beat that for the price.


Can you elaborate on this? What exactly are the benefits of converting a WRT320N to an E2000?


This can elaborate better...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
m00nman
DD-WRT User


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Location: AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus RT-N12 - 35 bucks
-external antennas
-4MB flash, 32 ram
-Wireless N 2.4GHz

_________________

OpenDNS....................................SpeedTest................................PingTest................................ETN.FM..............
Asus RT-N16 - svn15508 K2.6 big MAIN2
Asus RT-N12 with 9dBi antennas - svn16772 mini WDS node
Linksys WRT54G v8 - svn15314 micro AP
Asus RT-N56U - Padavan's custom F/W with my QOS mod
UberB
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
UberB wrote:
buddee wrote:
Not to mention the WRT320N is $40 right now for the refurbished unit, and can be converted to an E2000, hard to beat that for the price.


Can you elaborate on this? What exactly are the benefits of converting a WRT320N to an E2000?


This can elaborate better...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0


Is it really worth it for 32k of NVRAM and a working reset button?
mrg666
DD-WRT User


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 157
Location: North East - USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
m00nman wrote:
Asus RT-N12 - 35 bucks
-external antennas
-4MB flash, 32 ram
-Wireless N 2.4GHz


I can testify for that one Smile

_________________
WNR3500L DD-WRT-18730-Kong Gateway/Firewall/NAS
WRT54G-TM DD-WRT-14929 Mega (heatsink + 250MHz oc)
WHR-G300N DD-WRT-20548(external antennas)
2x E2000 Tomato-Toastman 0501.2 AP (external antennas)
TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
UberB wrote:


Is it really worth it for 32k of NVRAM and a working reset button?


The choice is your's of course. Those other listings are great deals as well, and also, to dispel your disbelief about Atheros units, they work great as well, i have a wrt400n and a wrt160nl, both rock pretty hard with dd-wrt for me.

IMHO the wrt320n for $40, yes its worth it, the wrt320n has 354Mhz CPU (that can be OC'd to 480Mhz) 8Mb flash and 32Mb RAM (can run the mega and big builds) and has 1 dual band radio (2.4 or 5Ghz selectable), gigabit ports, yea to me, thats a great deal.

The conversion of the 320n to e2000 is once again choice, its not required to do in order for the wrt320n to function with dd-wrt, i have 1 320n that i left as is, and it works great.

Edit: also yes if you use alot of VPN certs, big custom firewall scripts etc, yes having the extra nvram is always good to have, makes dd-wrt run more stable.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.


Last edited by buddee on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50; edited 1 time in total
m00nman
DD-WRT User


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Location: AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:
m00nman wrote:
Asus RT-N12 - 35 bucks
-external antennas
-4MB flash, 32 ram
-Wireless N 2.4GHz


I can testify for that one Smile


Why not? Is it a bad router?

_________________

OpenDNS....................................SpeedTest................................PingTest................................ETN.FM..............
Asus RT-N16 - svn15508 K2.6 big MAIN2
Asus RT-N12 with 9dBi antennas - svn16772 mini WDS node
Linksys WRT54G v8 - svn15314 micro AP
Asus RT-N56U - Padavan's custom F/W with my QOS mod
UberB
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
UberB wrote:


Is it really worth it for 32k of NVRAM and a working reset button?


The choice is your's of course. Those other listings are great deals as well, and also, to dispel your disbelief about Atheros units, they work great as well, i have a wrt400n and a wrt160nl, both rock pretty hard with dd-wrt for me.

IMHO the wrt320n for $40, yes its worth it, the wrt320n has 354Mhz CPU (that can be OC'd to 480Mhz) 8Mb flash and 32Mb RAM (can run the mega and big builds) and has 1 dual band radio (2.4 or 5Ghz selectable), gigabit ports, yea to me, thats a great deal.

The conversion of the 320n to e2000 is once again choice, its not required to do in order for the wrt320n to function with dd-wrt, i have 1 320n that i left as is, and it works great.

Edit: also yes if you use alot of VPN certs, big custom firewall scripts etc, yes having the extra nvram is always good to have, makes dd-wrt run more stable.


Hmm you make a great point. I'm really thinking about getting the WRT320N refurb, but I can only find it for $50 on buy.com

Do you have a link for a $40 refurb?

edit: found one here

Also, how safe is it to transform the 320n to a E2000? For what it's worth, I don't know much about DD-WRT but overall I'm a rather tech savvy person. I have no idea what a JTAG or serial cable is, so if I brick my router I would probably be screwed, but I can follow instructions okay Laughing
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The conversion is pretty safe for me, i've done it many times now, but also remember, its not required.

The wrt320n is a pretty good unit as is with dd-wrt on it, so really the conversion is if you really want to expanded nvram and reset button functionality.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum