WRT54GL as Wireless Access Point Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
snpollack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:00    Post subject: WRT54GL as Wireless Access Point Question Reply with quote
Hello. I hope someone might be able to properly advise me.

I have a WRT54GL v1.1 with DD-WRT v23SP2 functioning well as my router, which is connected to the internet via a cable modem. It has IP 192.168.1.1, and acts as DHCP server for my network. I employ Static DHCP in order to give pre-assigned IP's to computers/printers/etc. based on MAC address. All of this works quite well.

I have a second wireless router on my network, which is an Apple AirPort Express. It is connected via a wired backbone which connects to the wired ports on the WRT54GL. I have this device configured to receive its IP using DHCP, and the WRT54GL assigns it properly using Static DHCP based on the AirPort's WAN MAC address. No problems here.

I have acquired a second WRT54GL v1.1 and successfully applied DD-WRT v23SP2. I would like to connect this device to my wired backbone and use the new router as an access point. I have done this so far:
(1) set internet connection type to disabled and STP to disabled (I have Comcast)
(2) given the router an IP address of 192.168.1.2
(3) set the gateway to 192.168.1.1
(4) assigned WAN port to switch, which is the port I have connected to the wired backbone
(5) disabled DHCP Server
(6) set the SSID to the same as the other two devices on my network; the main router is set to channel 11; the Airport Express is set to channel 1; and I set the new WRT54GL to channel 6; I am using WPA-PSK on all

This is what I'd like some help with:
(1) I'm trying to figure out what to do with the Advanced Routing tab settings. What operating mode should the new router be set to? Choices are Gatway, BCP, RIP2 Router, and OSPF Router.
(2) On the same tab are settings for Static Routing, including Set Number (1-20), Route Name, Destination LAN IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Interface (LAN&WLAN or WAN)
(3) The Apple Airport Express will get its IP from the main router using DHCP, but I am not sure how to get the new WRT54GL to do this. It seems that I must manually type in the IP (192.168.1.2). Is there a way to do this using DHCP? I'd like to use the Static DHCP feature as I have done with the Airport Express and as I have done with all of my other computers, printers, etc. If I can't use DHCP to assign an IP to my new router, should I fill in the Local DNS field with something?
(4) Thank you for your assistance!

Stu Pollack
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: