DHCP-WAN not obtaining IP on WRT-54GL DD-WRT SP2 V23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tragedy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 18:41    Post subject: DHCP-WAN not obtaining IP on WRT-54GL DD-WRT SP2 V23 Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

New here and been reading up on alot in the forums and through the wiki, a lot of great information in here if you take the time to look for it. However, this one problem I had was puzzling me and I didn't have any luck finding out any sort of fix or explaination so I thought I would try to post it up here to see if maybe anyone could shed some light on things, or at least maybe confirm it hasn't just happened to me.

I have a WRT54GL v1.1 brand new recently flashed to DD-WRT v23 sp2 generic. Flash was 100% successful, no problems there. Here's a detailed step by step of my problem.

The first problem I had was router and browsing slowdown. I read the forums and went to the IP Filter Settings and adjusted accordingly for P2P (bittorrents) and set max ports to 4096, TCP timeout to 600, and UDP timeout to 90 and confirmed both settings through telnet. Speed issue resolved.

Second thing that happened was I was getting tons of TX broadcasting errors, I was able to fix this by adjusting Beacon interval to 75. I left ACK timing at 2000. Magically no more TX errors, so the wireless is good now.

This is the problem I was having. I have a house sharing a 10m/1m cable connection that runs through Charter Communications (which is an affiliate to Comcast, which led me to also disable STP from what the settings recommended). Public IP is obtained through DHCP and authentication is upon MAC address of the cable modem. We have 6 computers, 5 wired, 1 wireless. Arranged like this:

Cable Modem >> WRT54GL DD-WRT v23 sp2>> 4 port switch>> 3 computers, 1 more switch
second switch >> 2 more computers
and the 1 wireless

Well all of the sudden I was trying to set up QoS for Counterstrike Source (it is pre-built in as a setting) and then suddenly the router slows down ALOT. I did a softreboot. When the router came back and I renewed my IP address, router was responding fine to ping and I could log into the GUI just fine. However, I went to my WAN connection and noticed I had lost the connection from the cable modem. All IPs the 0.0.0.0.

Cycled modem and router, still not getting IP. Took out router and cycled modem again and straight to 1 computer, got IP. Put router back into mix, still not resolving public IP. I was confused as heck, so then I backed up my router settings to a BIN file and did a hard reset back to factory. When router came back online, I could then resolve a public IP. I loaded my saved settiings again and now everything is fine.

I don't understand? It seems the router was to blame, as it could not get an IP automatically from the WAN. However, this doesn't explain why it is working now because I had to factory reset it, but then I just loaded the saved settings as soon as it was tested working again and its still working.

Oh well, any thoughts anyone?
Sponsor
ev1te
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem, it seems to be random somehow...

check my post:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9385&highlight=

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, seems to be a fluke. I been up about a day so far no problems, taxing my connection as much as possible TRYING to make this thing break rofl. So far, I think I'm out of the woods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: