wrt300n repeater bridge woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
plusgforce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48    Post subject: wrt300n repeater bridge woes Reply with quote
I am trying to set up a repeater bridge. When I practised by first setting up a client bridge I was successful. I was able to access the wireless DLink router through my dd-wrt (client) router using a lan connection to my client router by following the instructions in http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridge . However, I was unsuccessful when I tried setting up a repeater bridge using http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge and haven't been able to successfully setup a client bridge either. My goal is to setup a repeater bridge. My cable modem and main router is upstairs and my client router is downstairs. I would like my downstairs router boost the signal so I can connect to PS/2's and a laptop and possibly other wireless devices. Upstairs in my house there are 2 laptops and sometimes other wireless devices are used.

My primary router is a D-Link DIR-655
Hardware Version: B1
Firmware Version: 2.00NA
Wireless Radio : Enabled
802.11 Mode : 11bgn
Channel Width : 20/40 MHz
Channel : 9
WISH : Inactive
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled/Configured
SSID List :
Network Name (SSID) Guest MAC Address Security Mode
pearl2 No xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx wpa2_psk
=====================================================================================
My client router is Linksys WRT300N v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) mini - build 12874
Radio is On
Mode: Client Bridge
Network Mixed (b/g/n)
SSID pearl2
Channel 7
Encryption - Interface wl0
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Any suggestions or requests for more info? Thanks in advance.

Currently: I can access both primary (DLink) and client (DD-WRT) routers with a wireless
connection to pearl2. If I disable wireless on my linux laptop and plug in a lan cable to
my DD-WRT router, I can access the DD-WRT router's home page but cannot access the primary
DLink router's home page or google or any other website on the internet.

I know that it says channel 9 on the primary router and channel 7 on the other router. I
haven't found the location where you would change the channel to auto or channel 9.
Sponsor
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do a 30-30-30 and follow the instructions for a repeater bridge. You don't set the channel when you have set it up rite. It connects automatically. Make the setting match. 20 for the channel width on both.
mk378
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set your client bridge to the same SSID as your access point. You don't need to select a channel, as the client bridge will scan all the channels until it finds an AP with matching SSID.

Repeater bridge is the same except that it opens up another virtual interface which acts as an access point. The access point side should have a different SSID. It accepts incoming connections to the repeater bridge.

Only channels 1, 6, and 11 should be used for G or N networks. That is because the channel numbers are based on the old B standard, which uses narrower bandwidth. The G signals are actually 6 channels wide-- so if you use channel 9 for example, your signal will get interference from (and interfere with) other networks on both channels 6 and 11.
plusgforce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 0:03    Post subject: wrt300n repeater bridge woes Reply with quote
I am making progress. I swear that I followed all the instruction for the Linksys Repeater Bridge. I was able to access both router's default pages from a wired LAN connection to the dd-wrt router but can't access google or yahoo although I think I'm on the right track. The only thing that I can think of is that the security settings don't match exactly. Is WPA-Personal with wpa mode (wpa2 Only) the same as wpa2 personal? They both use AES encryption algorithm.

DLink:
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: WPA2 Only
Cipher Type: AES
Group Key Update Interval: 3600 seconds
wireless network name: pearl2
802.11 Mode Mixed 802.11n, g, b
Wireless Channel: CH 6
Transmission Rate: automatic
Channel Width: 20 MHz

DD-WRT:
Physical Interface wl0 SSID [pearl2]
Wireless Mode: Repeater Bridge
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (bgn)
Wireless Network Name (SSID): pearl2
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) 2000 (Default 2000 meters)
Network Configuration Bridged
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES
Key Renewal Interval: 3600 seconds

Virtual Interfaces wl0.1 SSID [pearl-vn]
Wireless Network Name (SSID) pearl-vn
Wireless SSID Broadcast: enable
AP Isolation: Disable
Network Configuration: Bridged
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES
Key Renewal Interval: 3600 seconds

Thanks for your help and let me know if you need more information.
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use any encryption to start.
plusgforce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I disabled wireless security on both routers and that didn't work either. Any other ideas? Thanks.
plusgforce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 19:43    Post subject: wrt300n repeater bridge woes Reply with quote
I thought that I followed the instructions exactly but decided that I may not have properly turned the dir-655 into an access point. When I tried the following I couldn't access my router or the internet. I thought that the 2 links below would give a clue as to how to make the repeater bridge work. What settings do I need to set dlink dir_655 to a wireless AP while incorporating them into the instructions for setting up a repeater bridge? (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge)

http://blogs.oracle.com/simonthorpe/2009/06/configuring_a_dlink_dir_655_as.html

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=452855

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: