WR941nd as repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sbcverto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58    Post subject: WR941nd as repeater Reply with quote
Can I use a wr941nd as repeater using dd-wrt (or stock firmware) ?

I didnt get 300mbps using dd-wrt on the router (v3.5), the maximum reached was 130mbps. Anyone using it as repeater can confirme if it can get 300mbps?

Noob questions

1) Whats the diff of a WAP and Wireless Repetaer?

2) Is it must be in the same network, right?

3) The router must be in WDS and the "repeater" in client bridge, isnt?

4) Will the repeater keep a roaming signal, without disconnecting me from my network?

To clarify: I need to improve the signal troughout my house, but it will be a simple home network. I dont want to buy an access point (like wa901nd), because in the future I might need to have the wr941nd back as router.

Thx for any tip and sry for the poor english.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you can use your router with dd-wrt as a 'repeater'

WAP links with a wired connection, repeater links with a wireless connection.

It doesn't have to be in the same network.

The router does not have to be in WDS, you can set the main router up as an access point and set up the 'repeater' in a client bridge or client mode.

To set it up with this roaming signal, you would then need to use WDS.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
sbcverto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Yes you can use your router with dd-wrt as a 'repeater'

WAP links with a wired connection, repeater links with a wireless connection.

It doesn't have to be in the same network.

The router does not have to be in WDS, you can set the main router up as an access point and set up the 'repeater' in a client bridge or client mode.

To set it up with this roaming signal, you would then need to use WDS.

Thx for the tips, I really apreciated that.

But I wonder if I will get the 300mbps wireless N signal, because while my router was under dd-wrt, the maximum reached was 130mps.

Since we dont have "universal" as wireless mode in stock fw, do I need to change both firmwares to dd-wrt?
nebbia88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
sbcverto wrote:
But I wonder if I will get the 300mbps wireless N signal, because while my router was under dd-wrt, the maximum reached was 130mps.

lol, if you can't get 300m in the "simple" AP mode, forget decent throughputs in repeater mode!
Also, theorical bandwidth is reduced to HALF every repeater (for obvious reasons).

sbcverto wrote:
Since we dont have "universal" as wireless mode in stock fw, do I need to change both firmwares to dd-wrt?

you didn't say what is your main router.. if it is a similar tp-link you can use WDS function on stock firmware..
sbcverto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It´s the same one. 2 wr941nd.

The stock firmware indeed has the WDS function. I just need go thru dd-wrt on second router (ass repeater) and use Universal Repeater, following wiki instructions?

Will it work with a mix of stock fw and dd-wrt?
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - NEED HELP TO Seamlessly Roam with true repeater in my house
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
WDS can accomplish what you want, also no worries, if you absolutley have to revert back to stock, there is a sticky up top of this forum with the revert files. Most thing here is you need to study the wiki on how to setup WDS.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't be too sure. Accident happens. Be extremely careful while upgrade.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi2000 wrote:
Don't be too sure. Accident happens. Be extremely careful while upgrade.

So very true!

agentsmith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) Whats the diff of a WAP and Wireless Repetaer?
Repeater basically clones the config from another AP router. If you set security in the AP, then the repeater must have the same key so the communication happens.

2) Is it must be in the same network, right?
To get the connection from an AP you need to grab AP`s SSID and let the repeater know. Once established connection, you can give your repeater`s network a different SSID name. If you keep same SSID, maybe the stations have difficulties to find the proper network.

3) The router must be in WDS and the "repeater" in client bridge, isnt?
WDS and repeater work differently. WDS requires the AP router and other sub-routers to have WDS enabled.
Repeater does not require; your AP works normally, the repeater finds the wireless signal and clones it, and broadcast it.

4) Will the repeater keep a roaming signal, without disconnecting me from my network?
The stations connected to the repeater can communicate to the stations connected to the AP.

On the 300mbps issue with DD-WRT firmware, the developers need to work on the Channel Width to make it reach 40MHz, instead of only 20MHz. And also your PC wireless adapter needs to be set to 40MHz or Auto.
sbcverto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just gave 1 wr941nd to my brother and bought a wa901nd, wich works as repeater from stock fw.

Since I have a WDS option on a wr941nd and repeater on a wa901nd, I cannot change the repeater SSID.

My intention is to keep a roaming signal thru SOHO, but in some locations, the signal "overwrite" eachother. Notebook N Wireless card only detects 1 SSID but using Xirrus Monitor, I can check the signal strenght from both AP.

But I noticed that in the "overwrite" signal zones, sometimes the devices gets the weaker signal from root ap. I think this is because both ones are using same SSID, but not so sure.

Encrypt is WPA/WPA2-PSK - AES

Any tips?
H3llh0und
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afaik the same SSID ist needed in order to roam.

check your device driver / Software / OS perhaps you can change some settings in regard to roaming.

Some ralink driver allow to set signal strength to determine when roaming should be done.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: