How to debrick WRT610N v2 after tftped firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
FrancoisC wrote:
barryware wrote:
well I'll be dipped is horse poop.. The stock e3000 firmware does flash from dd-wrt.. It also runs in my brief testing.

Butt Razz here is the dilemma... Now that the linksys e3000 firmware is on the box, it will only accept e3000 firmware whether stock or dd-wrt.

As soon as dd-wrt is flashed, instant brick.

Another thing.. The stock e3000 software running on this V2, the macs are completely wrong.. Not even close. The WPS light is also on and should not be when reset to defaults.

So... Once in this position, you must live with it running stock firmware, or know it is gonna brick as soon as you flash a dd-wrt build.

What to do... Razz

You can go back to ddwrt or the wrt610nv2 firmware by hex editing the header from 610 to 61x, close to what need to be done to convert the unit Smile i know, ibalready tried the stock e3000 firmware on my v2 a while ago.

Yea.. I know.. What I did was just use serial to flash the stock v2 firmware, then started the convert from there. I was just making a bigger deal out of it then it really is Smile All done now.. It's a 3000.

Still can't believe it even ran without bricking..

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, Barryware, I didn't expect anyone going to try the OP non-standard way of flashing.

What does happen when you reboot the router?
Can the settings be changed and survive the reboot? (as per LOM's post?)

Quote:

Seeing isn't necessarily means believing? Smile

TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.4 (RB mode) -> v24-sp2 Std build 22102 (last used build)
^ Reverted to Stock 3.13.33 Build 130506 Rel.48660n

Last edited by WhizzWr on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57; edited 3 times in total
FrancoisC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
there must be something in the firmware the detect the model or the nvram, or something like that...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
WhizzWr wrote:
Cool, Barryware, I didn't expect anyone going to try the OP non-standard way of flashing.

What does happen when you reboot the router?
Can the settings be changed or not as per LOM's post?

Quote:

Seeing isn't necessarily means believing? Smile

Don't think you can do this and turn your router into an e3000. As I said, the macs were completely off. The wps light was lit when it shouldn't have been. I just tested that the radios were working and it got a wan ip. I didn't test any further. i did change the ssid of the radios so I could tell if they were broadcasting with insidder. Change, save, and apply and they were there. I did not power cycle or reboot the router after that change so I don't know if the change will survive a reboot.

I know that dd-wrt does not check headers in the fw bin. I know that the file would load if dd-wrt was on the box. My surprise is that the router ran at all. I figured it would brick.

This was to satisfy my curiosity. The OP was pretty insistent that he flashed stock e3000 firmware which if I didn't see it, I still would not believe it. However, he did end up with a brick in the end.

LOM is right I expect. He usually is. I can't tell what the nvram size is in stock e3000 firmware on this v2 box unless I start dumping the flash chip via serial which I can't do cuz I can't spend anymore time on this. I have other projects I need to get to.

Anybody that wants to carry on with the experiment, feel free.

Navigation

Jump to: