DD-WRT on UBIQUITI UNIFI

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
seminma1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 14:44    Post subject: DD-WRT on UBIQUITI UNIFI Reply with quote
Dear community :
I´m from Argentina, and I´ve been using dd-wrt for many years, also I wrote some tutorials in the wiki.

I´m very proud being part of this wonderful community.

I just bought 2 Ubiquiti UniFI Enterprise, as I can see hardware is :
Architecture: MIPS
Vendor: Atheros
Bootloader: U-boot
System-On-Chip: Atheros (AR7240)
CPU Speed: ??? Mhz
Flash-Chip: MX25L6405D
Flash size: 8 MiB
RAM: 64 MiB DDR
Wireless: AR9287
Switch: none
Ethernet ports: 1 POE capable
USB: No
Serial: Yes 4 PINS
JTAG: Yes 14 PINS

Serial:
Pin 1 3.3V
Pin 2 SIN
Pin 3 SOUT
Pin 3 GND

My question is : Is it possible to install dd-wrt on this hardware ?

Is Any information that can I provide to you to give help in support this device ? serial output, Jtag output, and so forth

Kind Regards and thanks in advance

Marcelo

[img][/img]
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
try to flash the bullet2M build and see what happens
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Sash, any chance to do any kind of "backup" of actual state of device just in case, to make a restore in case of failure or brick ?

I think It only could be done over jtag am I right ?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards.

Marcelo Semino
seminma1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since Ubiquiti Unifi Solution is a "Managed" solution with a centralized server (administration) running on a Windows or linux box, I ´ve tried to ssh and I get the following output (see screenshot below)

Unifi AP itself do not have any GUI to make a backup for CFE or somenthing like that.

Any instructions in how to backup ?

Any Ideas in how to recover just in case the AP gets bricked ?

thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Marcelo semino

[img][/img]
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
the device is flashed by using tftp from the bootloader. in the same way you can also revert to the original firmware. so no backup is neccessary, since you always can flash back to the original firmware.

update:
since i cannot find the pci data details yet for this device, i advise not to use dd-wrt right now. please check first if you can flash the device with tftp using the original ubnt firmware image. so you wont risk anything. dd-wrt might work then as well. but no guarantee yet, since i dont have the details for the pci vendor and device id's which is required for a proper device detection

if dd-wrt is booting and you're able to access it, it would be good if you can send me a full flashbackup using the "fullflash" partition (see /proc/mtd in dd-wrt
if you copy this mtd partition i'm able to retrieve all neccessary data

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thanks BS, but I have a few questions :

Do I run a TFTP on my windows box and start the access point to load the new firmware / image ? Which firmware do you recommend ? Shash reccomendation is bullet2M ? I think He´s right.

As you wrote : "the device is flashed by using tftp from the bootloader. in the same way you can also revert to the original firmware. so no backup is neccessary, since you always can flash back to the original firmware."

Do I assume every time the AP starts it gets the firmware from the "management server" in my windows box ? (what a waste of time and networking bandwidth, just imagine you have 100 AP!! starting after a power failure)

Ok, I will try to find the folder where original firmware is stored by the ubiquiti administration server , stop the administration server , download the bullet2M firmware, rename it to "UBIQUITI Firmware" (or whatever firmware name have) start tftp server on my windows box, put dd-wrt in root folder of tftp, start TFTP server , and start the AP.

If I can get a console of AP after boot I will give you a copy of "fullflash" partition

Do U thinks my steps are correct ?

Kind Regards and thanks in advance.

Marcelo Semino

Marcelo Semino
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
seminma1 wrote:
Do I assume every time the AP starts it gets the firmware from the "management server" in my windows box ?

The "boot loader" and the "management server" are completely different things.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45474

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
seminma1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I Understand

I have set up exactly as seen on sash post , I get ping replies from 192.168.1.20 succesfuly , BUT there is no way to tftp the new firmware to the access point , I have tried TFTP2 , windows TFTP Client with no success at all.

I also tried to reset the UNIFI system (Holding reset button and power up the device 20 seconds and release ) it still responds ping at 192.168.1.20 when comes alive again. but no success in tftp (time out error)

I also tried holding the reset button for 8-10 second just to force the device enter in "recovery mode" Unifi, respond ping at 192.168.1.20, BUT no way to tftp new firmware (TFTP time out error)

I´m lost , any Ideas ?

Thank you !!!

Marcelo Semino
seminma1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks Geetek sash and BS

Well I have found something very interesting :

http://www.ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25524

Is possible to make an AirOS to get a "standalone" UNIFI ..

So I follow the steps in copying the new firmware (it was a dd-wrt firmware for bullet2M)using winSCP, to my UNIFI : Success

When I Execute the command: /sbin/ubntbox fwupdate.real -m /tmp/fwupdate.bin -d

To upgrade the firmware I get the following output: "invalid version" (please see the output below).

Any Ideas ?
Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Marcelo Semino

[img][/img]
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you get ping responses from 192.168.1.20, the device isnt in recovery mode. to get into the tftp recovery mode. plugoff the power. push the reset button and keep it pushed. plugin the power and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds
then send the new image like bs2-dd-wrt.bin with
tftp -i 192.168.1.20 put bs2-dd.wrt.bin

do not ping the device in this recovery mode, the device will not respond. but it accepts the tftp request. but as i said. try first, if the original ubiquiti firmware image works, since this would be required to recovery to original firmware.

for description. all dd-wrt ubiquiti M firmwares are identical. so it doesnt matter if you flash the nanostation M firmware or bullet M firmware. i just copied them in separate folders to show which devices are officially supported. the firmare itself detects the device well and works as expected. if the ubiquiti device cannot be detected, the firmware runs like a standard bullet M firmware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS : I have read a lot about this device , Ubiquiti Unifi is a simple access point, it have no power plug, it only have POE, on 1 ethernet port AND a reset button.

It seems not to have a "TFTP" recovery mode.

I have tried all the options, as seen on sash stiky post , ubiquiti firmware restore and so forth holding reset button for 7-10 seconds is not working at all in this device.

I have read this post in OpenWRT page : https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi

The only way to update firmware is to copy the new one to the UNIFI AP, via SCP , then execute commands to update firmware.

In this case it works , because I have change original firmware for Ubiquiti AirOS, and then go back to the original UNIFI AP Firmware.

Whe I try to flash : bs2-dd.wrt.bin I get the output : "Invalid Version XM.ar7240.dd-wrt

And that´s all, I cant go further, I have tried with several "M" versions of dd-wrt but, as you say before, all are the same.

I also read that maybe could be an issue with firmware size, since original firmware is only 4 MB

OPENWRT works fine on this device, I have not tried it yet, but users on forums are happy with it.

Can you get the info you need to support this device if I install OPENWRT on my UBIQUITY UNIFI AP ?

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Marcelo Semino
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
unifi support is now done and dd-wrt works on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
here the test images + initial installation instructions

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 0:41    Post subject: configurar dd-wrt para antena wifi Reply with quote
BrainSlayer quisiera saber como debo configurar el dd-wrt std ( 14896) en router linksys wrt160nl para conectarle una antena hechiza ( antena wifi jolly rogers)la hice
con el proposito de acceder a internet de forma gratuitamente a travez de esta antena
como debo hacerlo ,configurarlo etc
gracias
emmanuel
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 0:33    Post subject: Re: configurar dd-wrt para antena wifi Reply with quote
95salo wrote:
... quisiera saber como debo configurar el dd-wrt ...

Aqui nadian puede ayudarte, pero hay otro parte del foro donde habla este idioma.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: