DIR-412 build 14896 missing kernel modules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
zhamza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:55    Post subject: DIR-412 build 14896 missing kernel modules Reply with quote
So, I purchased a DIR-412 and loaded the only DD-WRT version available for it: preSP2 build 14896 built by BS (a.k.a.: BrainSlayer).
This version in fact does NOT have drivers for USB core functionality (while it should have been included -- I would like to know why it was not if possible, I can compile and build it myself, this is not difficult) -- or the ACM module for regular PPP connectivity for 3G based USB modems. The USB and ACM drivers are about 300KB no more, so why not include them in the mini build -- perhaps a hardware conflict? I suppose BS did not have the hardware perhaps... anyways, unimportant. Also, D-Link has a history of not complying with GNU licensing... for this model specifically they do not release ANY source code: <http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/downloads2008detail.asp> and so it is impossible to reverse engineer the modules used for USB or ACM.
The current SVN for DD-WRT is about 6GB and I can't download it at the moment, as I am using a 3G modem for internet NOW so this is why the DIR-412 is somewhat critical. I am willing to put together DD-WRT for this model if the source code will be less than 500MB. I just need the preSP2 build source for 14896 OR pre-compiled usbcore.ko and acm.ko modules (also for the ralink chipset so I can inject them into a binary). I can write scripts for tons of other modems OR provide an interface to add them via the DD-WRT web interface.

In short, if one wants to treat this as a bug report (well its not really a bug, we are just missing very critical features here): a request for USB and ACM functionality is requested in the DD-WRT build for the DIR-412.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is not enough flash for usb support
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, first and foremost, thank you for the reply. I was pretty sure I would be on my own... but then again maybe I still am.

So how did the folks in D-Link manage?
...there has to be some way.
Are there any modules for the basic PCI functions? (i.e.: pci_enable_device, pci_set_master, pci_disable_device) Build 14896 does NOT have them built-in. But how big are these functions anyways? PCI bus handling is complicated, but should fit in 4MB of flash. Also, SOME Ralink/Atheros 4MB routers seem to support USB. And we have mass storage on these routers also as a consequence -- acm isn't the only module we can use and SOME modems actually have built-in storage (i.e.: MF-100, flash support up to 32GB mini-SD). Somehow, perhaps during boot, we can load these modules into the RAM (32MB on this device) by downloading them via wget (JFFS2 works on this router by the way -- just I haven't got USB support yet). Once USB support is enabled, we can load everything to mini-SD.
Also, I can confirm that WAN functionality of this device is not working properly from thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78219 (see Kings method). JTAG pins are probably those 4 pins sticking out next to the USB port. Anyways, that's not useful info.

So in short, my question is this: is there some way I can get hold of a *pci.ko file for MIPS32-R2 kernel version 2.6.23.17? I'll worry about the rest.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
zhamza wrote:

So how did the folks in D-Link manage?

That is quite clear innit?
Their firmware doesn't have all of the functionality of the dd-wrt firmware, why would you else run dd-wrt if it had?

That added functionally takes flash space and there is no magic wand formula to get more into it, it is almost fully used up by stock firmware so something has to be removed for dd-wrt.

It is quite common now that mfgrs make two models of the same router, a 4MB flash model without USB and an 8MB flash version with USB.

They have also found that there is not much you can do with USB if flash is 4MB, printer support maybe, but as soon as you need file system support or 3G dongle support they'll run out of space.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, thanks a lot for all the support.

I see...

So perhaps this thing is a dead horse...

My problem was that (as usual) the D-Link firmware did not in fact support certain Qualcomm chipsets (in particular the ones found in the AnyData series USB modems -- which are in fact, easy to make universal so they can take almost any SIM chip with a simple firmware upgrade by the service provider of said SIM). D-Link is also unwilling to support these chipsets. So I was wanting to somehow change the current scripts (really you only need one) with ones of my making. However, the retailer firmwares are encrypted using something other than what I am familiar with, so I postponed that route for now until I have better tools. The alternative of course was DD-WRT/OpenWRT (others also, but I doubt they have the level of tools these last two have). Now I don't mind dropping some packages from DD-WRT... but you DO have some 4MB routers with USB that are supported... According to this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage#Step_3_-_Enable_USB_support_on_the_Mega_.2F_Mini_USB_version_of_DD-WRT I assumed so... Eko seems to have got some 4MB routers with both ftp and usb functionality.

So in short... about how much space is needed to run USB, and what can I cut off? DD-WRT has tons of functionality I probably will not use in a 3G router...

I can always shove in 8MB of flash actually... but that would be a last resort.
CMPXCHG8B
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Idea

What about using a USB hub (those cost less than $1 and would still allow to use a 3G modem/printer/etc) and split DD-WRT code into a pendrive ? I mean a DD-WRT build that loads basic functions from router flash (including USB drivers) and then jumps to a USB storage for loading the rest of the code/modules (kinda like GRUB). Is this feasible? If so would allow to expand feature set on 4 MB (or even higher) routers with USB port to new level.
zhamza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, I agree, that's a good idea... but you know, the initial problem is loading the USB drivers to talk to the hub. Then again, perhaps I am misunderstanding your idea?
The loading of the USB drivers at boot from the net (since the thing has 32MB of RAM this shouldn't be an issue I would think?) should allow your idea to be possible -- and it's a really good idea (simply because we have very few alternatives). I may give that a shot as I have faster Internet access now...

So...
Where can one get the source for build 14896? svn://svn.dd-wrt.com seems to be down...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
zhamza wrote:
Again, thanks a lot for all the support.

I see...

So perhaps this thing is a dead horse...

My problem was that (as usual) the D-Link firmware did not in fact support certain Qualcomm chipsets (in particular the ones found in the AnyData series USB modems -- which are in fact, easy to make universal so they can take almost any SIM chip with a simple firmware upgrade by the service provider of said SIM). D-Link is also unwilling to support these chipsets. So I was wanting to somehow change the current scripts (really you only need one) with ones of my making. However, the retailer firmwares are encrypted using something other than what I am familiar with, so I postponed that route for now until I have better tools. The alternative of course was DD-WRT/OpenWRT (others also, but I doubt they have the level of tools these last two have). Now I don't mind dropping some packages from DD-WRT... but you DO have some 4MB routers with USB that are supported... According to this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage#Step_3_-_Enable_USB_support_on_the_Mega_.2F_Mini_USB_version_of_DD-WRT I assumed so... Eko seems to have got some 4MB routers with both ftp and usb functionality.

So in short... about how much space is needed to run USB, and what can I cut off? DD-WRT has tons of functionality I probably will not use in a 3G router...

I can always shove in 8MB of flash actually... but that would be a last resort.

I would guess that D-Links problem is that they don't have space enough left for supporting other 3G sticks than the ones they initially support.
You'll also find if you check other router mfgrs that they usually support only a few 3G sticks or only have printer support on their 4MB flash based routers.

Platform support for USB doesn't take much space in itself, printer support is something like 30-40 KBytes and I estimate that 3G support is something similar but will grow for each 3G stick supported.
File system support is around 300 KByte though Sad

Builds for Broadcom based routers (Eko's builds) are smaller than Atheros or Ralink builds so they can have USB support in a 4MB build.

I'd suggest you to take a look into the Asus RT-N13U thread here to see how they have managed to get USB file system support. Not an elegant solution but it works..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, thanks a lot for the direction...

If there are any relevant links or threads you know of, please forward them to me.

I will look into this and get back to report my findings -- if any. It makes sense though that they only have a limited number of modems on that thing... had I known beforehand it only had 4MB of flash, I wouldn't have bought it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: