Netgear WNDR 3700 & Samba (DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15962)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jason5641
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:39    Post subject: Netgear WNDR 3700 & Samba (DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15962) Reply with quote
Ok peoples, I'm at a loss. I've tried everything I can think of to get Samba up and running via the web-GUI. FTP works great, but there's one program I require that won't allow me to use the FTP shortcut as a 'drive', which means I need Samba.

When enabling Samba/CIFS, it indicates that there are no mounted volumes to be shared...? The Samba documentation is outdated as it doesn't describe or explain how to use it via the GUI.

As an alternative, I've tried Optware installations, but ipkg has done nothing but fail at every attempt, no matter what I try. I've also attempted other known/documented methods of installing Optware, which have failed.

Samba is the last piece of the puzzle for me and my router will be complete.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, and have made the specified changes regarding the network security issue.

Again, I'm at a loss. I could really use some help as the wikis I find for Samba don't appear to be completely up to date with the latest DD-WRT web-GUI interface/feature set.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Last edited by jason5641 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 13:23; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Diehardshorty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also need help too
WNDR3700
alexanderdavice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've a similar problem with a TPLINK WR1043ND..
usingGUI i can set FTP nor Samba USB sharing..
deepbass909
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, ipkg doesn't work well on the WNDR3700. It is possible to get it working, but requires quite some changes in the filesystem. You should stick with optware and opkg, which does work.

For guides about Samba, see this wiki page

With optware up and running, you should be able to get Samba running as both client and server.

note: I haven't tried this for myself, my priorities lie with getting a NFS-server up and running
jason5641
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 13:17    Post subject: Setting up FTP & Samba for use with USB drives Reply with quote
Ok, I figured it out. It's much easier than it looks, the interface/GUI will fool you into thinking it's difficult with all of the options that are available.

USB Drive Setup:
TABS: Services -> USB
In USB Support:
Enable Core USB, USB 2.0, USB Storage and Automatic Drive Mount
Disk Mount Point -> /mnt

If everything is working with your USB drive (whatever type it may be), the information should show in the Disk Info area below after about 5-45 seconds with a final Status of Mounted on /mnt.

FTP Setup:
TABS: Services -> NAS
In FTP Server -> ProFTPD:
Enable ProFTPD and Allow Write
Set the Server Port to your preference (the default in most FTP clients is 21)
Files Directory -> /mnt
In the User Password list, you will list the desired username(s), space, and the password for the username(s) (e.g., username password).
Disable Anonymous Login (Read-Only) unless you're serving files via FTP to people you don't want to allow write access to.

Samba Setup:
In File Sharing -> Samba
Enable Samba and Public Share.
Server String and Workgroup fields should be blank/empty.
Path to Files -> /mnt
Disable Readonly unless you're serving files via FTP to people you don't want to allow write access to.
Disable Use Custom Configuration.

I've not been able to get Samba to work using the Custom Configuration (domain/user setup) as the DD-WRT wiki for Samba is somewhat outdated.

To test/use FTP, use your preferred FTP client (FileZilla?), enter your router IP address, the port number you assigned for FTP and login credentials you set ProFTPD up with.

To test/use Samba, Go to: My Computer -> Map Network Drive.
Choose a Windows drive letter, enter \\ the IP address of your DD-WRT router and \Public (e.g., \\192.168.1.1\Public), click Finish.
jason5641
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
deepbass909 wrote:
First of all, ipkg doesn't work well on the WNDR3700. It is possible to get it working, but requires quite some changes in the filesystem. You should stick with optware and opkg, which does work.

For guides about Samba, see this wiki page

With optware up and running, you should be able to get Samba running as both client and server.

note: I haven't tried this for myself, my priorities lie with getting a NFS-server up and running

As stated in my original post: I've been unable to install Optware using any known/documented method. I also stated that the Samba documentation is outdated based on the fact that it is implemented via the GUI now.
Diehardshorty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh very nice i did get transmission torrent server working i did not try samba.. i had some issues with the DD-wrt and no internet for a while so i reflashed the newest ddwrt firmware ill have to try it again
hareram
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 16:24    Post subject: Thank you jason5641 Reply with quote
Thank you so much jason5641.

Thanks to your easy and very clear steps, I could setup the usb drive accessible via windows 7. Now I have to figure out how to access it via internet from outside home.

Any one who can guide me in that direction ? thanks a ton guys.
psikey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure there are other ways but I just VPN to the router then use SAMBA share.
chorsumguard-ddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:25    Post subject: Re: Setting up FTP & Samba for use with USB drives Reply with quote
Thanks Jason, after searching for hundreds of posts how to access my hard drive attached to my E3000, your 'simple' method works like a charm.

jason5641 wrote:
Ok, I figured it out. It's much easier than it looks, the interface/GUI will fool you into thinking it's difficult with all of the options that are available.

USB Drive Setup:
TABS: Services -> USB
In USB Support:
Enable Core USB, USB 2.0, USB Storage and Automatic Drive Mount
Disk Mount Point -> /mnt

If everything is working with your USB drive (whatever type it may be), the information should show in the Disk Info area below after about 5-45 seconds with a final Status of Mounted on /mnt.

FTP Setup:
In FTP Server -> ProFTPD:
Enable ProFTPD and Allow Write
Set the Server Port to your preference (the default in most FTP clients is 21)
Files Directory -> /mnt
In the User Password list, you will list the desired username(s), space, and the password for the username(s) (e.g., username password).
Disable Anonymous Login (Read-Only) unless you're serving files via FTP to people you don't want to allow write access to.

Samba Setup:
In File Sharing -> Samba
Enable Samba and Public Share.
Server String and Workgroup fields should be blank/empty.
Path to Files -> /mnt
Disable Readonly unless you're serving files via FTP to people you don't want to allow write access to.
Disable Use Custom Configuration.

I've not been able to get Samba to work using the Custom Configuration (domain/user setup) as the DD-WRT wiki for Samba is somewhat outdated.

To test/use FTP, use your preferred FTP client (FileZilla?), enter your router IP address, the port number you assigned for FTP and login credentials you set ProFTPD up with.

To test/use Samba, Go to: My Computer -> Map Network Drive.
Choose a Windows drive letter, enter \\ the IP address of your DD-WRT router and \Public (e.g., \\192.168.1.1\Public), click Finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: