ASUS N12 wireless slower with dd-wrt/tomato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dipsal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:05    Post subject: ASUS N12 wireless slower with dd-wrt/tomato Reply with quote
Hiya DD-WRTians!

Before I start I must say I am very much impressed by the DD-WRT firmware and the community that runs alongside it.

Yesterday I became the happy owner of an ASUS RT-N12 along with a brand new cable modem (Cisco 2203c). I flashed the special initial image (dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx) through the ASUS web GUI. I then upgraded to the recommended image v14929

My main use of this router is to allow all my devices to connect wirelessly. There are no wired clients. With this first install I was getting a constant ~100-120mbps (mixed g/n channel 1 20mhz)

However, I wanted to see what Tomato was like (sorry Smile) so I reverted to factory default via DD-wrt gui and installed TomatoUSB (k26 via DD-WRT firmware upgrade page). I found an immediate difference in the wireless speeds (max 78mbps at wireless auto mode, channel 1, 20mhz and 40mhz). So I reverted back to DD-WRT v14929 (nokaidd std small) using tomato upgrade screen (while factory resetting).

I was surprised to find that the wireless speed had remained the same @ 78mbps with the same settings as I had before. I then tried to reset to factory settings and then clear out the nvram using telnet but it is still at 78mbps compared to the constant 100mbps+ with the first install.

It would be highly appreciated if you could assist me with this and point out any problems if you think there are any. Do you think my mistake is not doing a hard 30/30/30 reset?

Thanking you,
Dipsal
Sponsor
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not seen any difference between the stock firmware wireless throughput versus DD-WRT or Tomato.

I personally use Tomato on my RT-N12 due to the fact that the wireless is much more reliable. Try doing a site survey, find an uncrowded channel on either 1,6,or 11 and set the control channel to 40MHz..Also make sure you are using WPA2 + AES for wireless encryption as wireless N speeds will only operate on that form of encryption..

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 20:49    Post subject: Re: ASUS N12 wireless slower with dd-wrt/tomato Reply with quote
dipsal wrote:
Do you think my mistake is not doing a hard 30/30/30 reset?

Yes, and No. Yes you need to do a hard reset, but not 30-30-30. While the router is on and running you need to push the reset button for 8 or 10 seconds, no power cycle. That is it. Please report back with the results ! Do you have the power level the same on both firmware ? Did you know not to exceed 17 on the power setting ?

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Red WPS button is used for resetting NVRAM. Simply hold it down for 10 seconds as soon as you plug the power into it..
Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
dipsal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the replies guys.

I first of all performed a 30/30/30 reset and started all over again. That didn't seem to do it either. Then I cleared the nvram via telnet but still very low wireless speeds.

As for the controls:
-Tx power has always been default (17)
- It is at 20mhz always
- Channel 1 always (not congested at all)
- WPA2+AES (which shows up as RSNA-CCMP in inSSIDer for some reason)

It still seems like after flashing to tomato I might have screwed something up inside...

By the way before that tomato flash Wireless N only mode in DD-WRT showed up as 300mbps in inSSIDer but now it's 144mbps regardless.

I think there are two possibilities now:

- My wireless client is what is screwed up (Intel Wifi Link 5100 latest drivers)

OR

- Somehow after the tomato flash my router went bonkers and is somehow faulty.

Once again thank you for your replies. I shall try the hard reset by pressing reset button/WPS button for 8 seconds...

[Image below in GeeTek's post]

By the way the wireless client with MAC address ending in AA is my laptop on the same floor a few meters away...

Last edited by dipsal on Sat Jan 29, 2011 23:45; edited 1 time in total
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have NG mix mode but a rate of 11 Mbps. 11 Mbps is not a valid N or G connection rate.

Edit - Your post seems to have lost the link to imageshack. If I quote your post the link still shows up in the text. Anyway, when I copied the link from the quoted text and pulled it up in my browser I got a scareware pop-up. Please don't post links to imageshack. You or a mod should delete them. Here is your image. How did you fix it with an 11 Mbps connection rate ?

dipsal wrote:
- It is at 20mhz always
By the way before that tomato flash Wireless N only mode in DD-WRT showed up as 300mbps in inSSIDer but now it's 144mbps regardless.

I might stand some correction, but 300 Mbps connection rate requires a 40 Mhz channel width. Did you by chance show up here to jerk the forum around and try to make Tomato look bad ?

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.03 KB
 Viewed:  15137 Time(s)

2.jpg

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Tweener
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
those devices with the crappy snr might be pulling down the system. What are they?
dipsal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
How did you fix it with an 11 Mbps connection rate ?

I didn't. That's the thing. It just varies too much. Sometimes it's 72-78mbps, for the first few seconds of boot up it's 104mbps and later on it just drops...

GeeTek wrote:

Did you by chance show up here to jerk the forum around and try to make Tomato look bad ?

Of course not GeeTek. Never, ever my intention. I'm just trying to piece together what has happened. I'm saying the truth when I say that I noticed wireless signals dropping after flashing to TomatoUSB from DD-WRT. I'm not saying that it is Tomato's fault. It could as well as be my fault. I just want to know why wireless jumped like that's all.

Tweener wrote:
those devices with the crappy snr might be pulling down the system. What are they?

The one ending in 14 is my laptop in the direct next room to the router.

The one ending in AA is my wireless printer in the same room as the laptop

The other are the XBOX360 (wireless N adaoter official) and WD TV Live connected with a D-link Nano Wireless N adapter downstairs.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The rate changes depending on signal conditions and it is normal for it to fluctuate slightly when there's suboptimal signal. As best as I can tell you're trying to fix a non-existent problem. If you want the client to have a higher link rate then get it better signal.
dipsal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n I think you may be right. I guess I was convinced there was something more to this that I could learn. I'm going to be happy with what I've got Smile
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dipsal wrote:
GeeTek wrote:

Did you by chance show up here to jerk the forum around and try to make Tomato look bad ?

Of course not GeeTek. Never, ever my intention. I'm just trying to piece together what has happened.

My apologies, I was out of place with the insinuation. I have chronic psychological issues, but I try to improve a little bit every day. Sad

phuzi0n wrote:
As best as I can tell you're trying to fix a non-existent problem.

But the whole question was "why is tomato slow and dd-wrt fast ?"

I still think it is related to a slip up or misunderstanding in the 20 versus 40 Mhz channel width.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: