DLNA Media Server on E3000 - is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 16:11    Post subject: DLNA Media Server on E3000 - is it possible? Reply with quote
I am trying to set up a media server on my E3000 (now running Eko's Big build 15508). This has been debated briefly on other threads but I haven't found a working solution.

I have looked at the Optware, The Right Way thread but it states that it doesn't work with 2.6 kernels. I have also followed some advice from other users in the forum but didn't get a working solution (and also apologize hijacking a couple of threads Embarassed). In short, I have done a lot of research but haven't found anyone who was able to get it working.... hence I'm opening this thread.

Does anyone know a way to get any type of Media Server running on the E3000? I am willing to test ideas if anyone is willing to guide me on the way.

TIA!

Last edited by BrazilRoute on Tue Feb 08, 2011 15:47; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
[bump] Smile
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The setup I use is to connect my HDDs to a Gigabit wired PC and then run TVersity on it, which then allows streaming to my wirelessly connected PS3.

It's not the greatest, but it works.

Stock firmware crashes when I run the media server.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another option you might consider is to try some of the experimental tomatousb builds (alpha testing) which has built-in, plug and play Samba (including ntfs), media server and printer server.

I prefer dd-wrt's features overall, though.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can run a media server on my pc, but that defeats the purpose....

I am looking at the tomato build, seems interesting. Would prefer using DD-WRT though...
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an update on this issue:

I ended up going back to the Linksys firmware (ver. 1.0.03 (build 02))even though I knew the stability and transfer speed of the USB HD was horrible - but at least the media server worked. I have to admit I was a little worried about trying the Tomato builds since I had never heard of them before... Recently I updated to ver. 1.0.04 (build 06) but the transfer problems continued. I couldn't transfer large files (over a few 100 MB) that it would stop and hang, dropping the access to the USB HD. The only solution was a reboot.

Needless to say I got pretty pissed off!!

With that I finally tried the Tomato build suggested by rhdcheme. Huge difference!! You need to find your way around the interface because it's organized a bit different than what you usually find (not better or worse - just different). Other than that the system feel really light and very responsive. The transfer speeds aren't that great but I believe that's hardware related. NAS and Media Server running for a couple of days without a glitch (my PS3 recognized the server right away).

I'll try to keep this thread alive with future comments on my experiences. Hopefully it'll help other people with similar problems.
pcanman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://tomatousb.org/start

DLNA server included
pgotze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54    Post subject: RE Reply with quote
Well, what i did, i used Optware, The Right Way and installed this solution on my USB disk, it asks at least 500 MB partition for Optware, rest of my YSB i have as second partition for my data. After installation, i hav eupdated to Samba 3.5, so on this Optware i use Samba, dedicated web server lighttpd. Part of Optware is twonky server (media), or second one possible is ushare (media server). I did not finnish my investigation with these media servers yet. What i run as well, is blocking of advertisements using pixelserv, described here in wiki section. Works pretty well, advertisement from Youtube for example is gone, perfect. What i also found out. USB share pereformance is better now, using Samba 3.5, in comparision with default DD-WRT build NAS possibility. I must say, im quite sutisfied. I was thinking about TomatoUSB as well, but at this moment i thing, there are not so meny possibilities. And Tomato does NOT support Repeater mode, that i need in my configuration. Anyway, if somebody has runing media server on E3000, information is really appreciated.
1 x Linksys E3000 DD-WRT build 25628 NEWD-2 K3.x mega
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23    Post subject: Please help me understand Reply with quote
I amateur new to dd-wrt but have been doing ton of reading.

MyMain purpose is to get a working Media Server using my Cisco Linksys E3000 with external USB hard drive.

I heard that the 2.6 bases Linux kernel doesn't work.???? So do these latest Dec 2010 builds work on the E3000 for the media server functionality?

also what is the difference between the Eko and BrainSlayer Builds??

Do I need to choose an older 2.4 version? Will it work as a media server???
where would I find it?
I just hope the answer is simply that 2.6 will work for the media server.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks.
Guy

PS - I know about doing the two step approach Tailer version first.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
gschlact wrote:
I amateur new to dd-wrt but have been doing ton of reading.

MyMain purpose is to get a working Media Server using my Cisco Linksys E3000 with external USB hard drive.

I heard that the 2.6 bases Linux kernel doesn't work.???? So do these latest Dec 2010 builds work on the E3000 for the media server functionality?

also what is the difference between the Eko and BrainSlayer Builds??

Do I need to choose an older 2.4 version? Will it work as a media server???
where would I find it?
I just hope the answer is simply that 2.6 will work for the media server.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks.
Guy

PS - I know about doing the two step approach Tailer version first.

My advice is to do some research around this forum and anywhere else you can find useful information. My experience is what I stated above - The stock Linksys firmware a piece of crap and I couldn't get dd-wrt to work as a media server. Right now I'm running the Tomato build that rhdcheme sugested. It's working really well so far.

It must be said that I don't have a very demanding setup - a couple computers and smartphones accessing the internet, the PS3 to play online games and play media of the USB HD attached to the router. A couple weeks into it and everything is running fine. No need to reboot yet....
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
BrazilRoute wrote:
... and I couldn't get dd-wrt to work as a media server.

What do you consider a media server?

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
What do you consider a media server?

A device that scans a storage device for media (pictures, music, and movies) and makes it available to a media player. The following is an extract of the DLNA specs from wikipedia:

"
The DLNA Certified Device Classes are separated as follows:
Home Network Devices:
Digital Media Server (DMS): These devices store content and make it available to networked digital media players (DMP) and digital media renderers (DMR). Examples include PCs and network attached storage (NAS) devices.
Digital Media Player (DMP): These devices find content on digital media servers (DMS) and provide playback and rendering capabilities. Examples include TVs, stereos and home theaters, wireless monitors and game consoles.
"

My setup is the following:
- Media is stored on an external HD linked to the E3000 router through USB.
- The router sees the HD and makes the media available.
- PS3 plays the media.

From what I read, this is doable on dd-wrt by enabling Optware and running Twonky media server. However, since the E3000 only runs on 2.6 kernels we can't do that.
gschlact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 16:34    Post subject: which version Tomato? Reply with quote
BrazilRoute -
which version of the Tomato firmware are you using? 2.4 or 2.6 and which date?

Thanks.
Guy
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 17:53    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
BrazilRoute wrote:
A device that scans a storage device for media (pictures, music, and movies) and makes it available to a media player. The following is an extract of the DLNA specs from wikipedia:

"
The DLNA Certified Device Classes are separated as follows:
Home Network Devices:
Digital Media Server (DMS): These devices store content and make it available to networked digital media players (DMP) and digital media renderers (DMR). Examples include PCs and network attached storage (NAS) devices.
Digital Media Player (DMP): These devices find content on digital media servers (DMS) and provide playback and rendering capabilities. Examples include TVs, stereos and home theaters, wireless monitors and game consoles.
"

Do realize that I am just trying to understand what is required for 'your' definition of "media server". From the definition you gave, it would seem that all a DMS would require is samba.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
BrazilRoute
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 19:01    Post subject: Re: Please help me understand Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
Do realize that I am just trying to understand what is required for 'your' definition of "media server". From the definition you gave, it would seem that all a DMS would require is samba.

Oh, I know - sorry if it sounded rude or anything like that. It's just that when speaking of technical issues, someone's interpretation could change depending ot the situation. So it was a good opportunity even for myself to check and see if I was using the correct terms.

Answering your question, just having samba enabled doesn't work. If I had to guess, a true "media server" broadcasts all the files to compatible players while samba just let you have access to it - don't quote me on that since I honestly don't know HOW it works. On windows it would be the same difference as enabling file sharing and enabling media sharing. Or you could do it with a 3rd party if you don't want to use the windows media center - a common solution is the TVersity software.

Thanks for your help =)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: