Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH brick after flashing WHR firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
RBMaurice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22    Post subject: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH brick after flashing WHR firmware Reply with quote
Dear DD-WRT,

I have been using DD-WRT with a lot of pleasure the last couple of years, and as I came home from China after half a year I thought it was a good moment yesterday to upgrade my router(WZR-HP-G300NH) with the latest firmware.

At first I tried the official DD-WRT upgrade for the WZR-HP-G300NH but the old DD-WRT install didn't seem to accept that, so than I went to the DD-WRT website to get the latest unofficial update. Unfortunately (probably because I didn't sleep for 40 hours because of my travel back to Holland) I downloaded the WHR-HP-G300NH firmware and it updated without any notice and even said "succesful", but as I can understand now it bricked the router.

The router is now stuck at the red DIAG led and reboots every 15 seconds, I did 30/30/30 reset, I tried every TFTP method(Linux, Windows 7, Windows XP, with or without switch in between and with multiple router firmwares from the buffalo website) but it never seems to accept the files. I always see notices that it tries to push it to the router but I never saw the router accept anything during boot-up so after a day of trial and error I'm still stuck with a bricked router and I don't see any solution.

What should I pay attention to for a final try or is there any other normal solution next too TFTP? I read some similar stories but I never get it working :(

Hope you can help me, before I need to buy a new router... And what would you suggest if I did(120mbit internet so it needs to be quick Laughing )?
Sponsor
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
WZR-HP-G300NH Router: Firmware flash and brick recovery through TFTP
RBMaurice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi2000 wrote:
Like I didn't try that Laughing The problem is that it didn't work...

Anyone have other good options, I have a Netgear WNDR3700 in the mean time, but I would also like to get my WZR-HP-G300N back to work Smile
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
RBMaurice wrote:
fyi2000 wrote:

Anyone have other good options, I have a Netgear WNDR3700 in the mean time, but I would also like to get my WZR-HP-G300N back to work Smile

Have you tried with a serial connection to the router yet?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
RBMaurice wrote:
fyi2000 wrote:

from my oppinion the guide is wrong.
first you need to assign a mac address for 192.168.11.1 with arp. but the mac address shown in the guide is wrong. you must use 02:AA:BB:CC:DD:1A

so arp -s 192.168.11.1 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-1A

then use tftp -i 192.168.11.1 put ....bin

the bin file must be the factory to dd-wrt flash image and not the dd-wrt webflash image.

ah and by the way. the tftp server will listen for just 4 seconds, but not right up after you plugin the power. no you usually have to wait up to 10 seconds until you can hit enter with tftp. just all about timing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just happened to pick up a WZR-HP-G300H to replace my old WRT54G (w/dd-wrt). It shipped with V24-SP2, I wanted to checked out the Buffalo firmware. I flashed like normal and waited the some 300s, now the diag light continues to flash.

I also tried the linked TFTP recovery.

Trying BrainSlayer's suggestion now.
StealthyC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
That worked! I flashed it using win7x64 with windows tftp using the buffalo version wzrhpg300nh-176.

After flashing dhcp wasn't working. Set my nic to a static 192.168.11.25/255.255.255.0. After trying to figure out why I couldn't connect to 192.168.11.1, I fired up WireShark and watched for traffic from any .11.x IPs, the router showed up as 192.168.11.100.

The web interface loaded right up with root/no password.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
you may flash then later dd-wrt again. this will work from buffalos webinterface as well

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most excellent, thanks Brain! I will edit this info into the wiki for future references.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
yousaf465
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this that file buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin ?

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/12/12) std
(SVN revision 20119)

TP-link 741ND
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std
(SVN revision 15778)

Finding the correct MTU value for your ISP | BrainSlayer Vlan on Atheros
|

debrick Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes. this can be used for tftp recovery as well as for flashing dd-wrt out from the original buffalo firmware

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Most excellent, thanks Brain! I will edit this info into the wiki for future references.

Good to know, I will try soon if this also might work for me! Very Happy

TY in advance BrainSlayer Smile
RBMaurice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot BrainSlayer, it worked perfectly Wink Feel a bit stupid that I didn't find this solution before I bought a new router but at least it's still useable now so that I can put it as an extra switch and wireless access point Laughing

Hope this solution can be added to the documentation/wiki's so that everyone facing compareable problems can fix it before buying a new router Rolling Eyes
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
RBMaurice wrote:
Thanks a lot BrainSlayer, it worked perfectly Wink Feel a bit stupid that I didn't find this solution before I bought a new router but at least it's still useable now so that I can put it as an extra switch and wireless access point Laughing

Hope this solution can be added to the documentation/wiki's so that everyone facing compareable problems can fix it before buying a new router Rolling Eyes

As I said above, added to the wiki :)

If the unit you bought is returnable, you should do so.

ZZaiatSS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why i cant upload firmware with tftp? Here is a log:

Code:
:sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 [/home/copy/Desktop]
:sudo arp -s 192.168.1.1 00:1D:73:B1:0A:B1 [/home/copy/Desktop]
:tftp 192.168.1.1 [/home/copy/Desktop]
tftp> binary
tftp> rexmt 1
tftp> timeout 2
tftp> trace
Packet tracing on.
tftp> put wzrhpg300nh-pro-v24sp2-14998
sent WRQ <file=wzrhpg300nh-pro-v24sp2-14998, mode=octet>
sent WRQ <file=wzrhpg300nh-pro-v24sp2-14998, mode=octet>
Transfer timed out.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: