How to activate jumbo frames on E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mkc2lr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02    Post subject: How to activate jumbo frames on E3000 Reply with quote
I tried to activate jumbo frames for my Linksys E3000
with the following command:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000
But I only get an error message:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

I've not found another possibility to enable the jumbo frames support (yet). I tried Tomato. In the misc settings you can enable jumbo frames and it really works. As the chipset seems to support it I wonder why it doesn't work with DD-WRT. I'm using DD-WRT 15962 (dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e3000.bin)
Help appreciated...
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The switch driver dd-wrt uses currently doesn't support jumbo frames.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jumbo frames seems to be the request of the month for some obscure reason.

Many Gigabit Ethernet switches and NIC's support jumbo frames while Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) only support standard size frames.

Jumbo frames are useful for squeezing out the last piece of bandwidth in a Gigabit lan but they have a very small impact on the overall throughput, around 5%.

The theoretical max throughput on a Gigabit lan with normal frame size (1500) is ~940Mbps and increases to ~990Mbps with 9K jumbo frames which is what most ethernet adapters are capable of handling.

Super jumbo frames , 30K as example, would bring the theoretical max throughput up to almost 1000Mbps.

Who needs it? Why?

Last edited by LOM on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56; edited 1 time in total
PetervdM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
who needs it? no one!
who wants it? everyone!
why? because it exists!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your quick answer.

I can explain why I'd like to have jumbo frames. I already read that theoretically there not a big benefit, but accessing my Zyxel NSA210, jumbo frames simpy double the transfer rates (practically). Maybe the reason is the small processor used in a NAS which needs more power interpreting the header than just receiving data....

I hope for an update of DD-WRT with a jumbo capable driver.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mkc2lr wrote:
Thank you for your quick answer.

I can explain why I'd like to have jumbo frames. I already read that theoretically there not a big benefit, but accessing my Zyxel NSA210, jumbo frames simpy double the transfer rates (practically). Maybe the reason is the small processor used in a NAS which needs more power interpreting the header than just receiving data....

Yes there can't be any other reason than the weak cpu being helped by not having to process the same amount of packets.
The NSA210 is a cheap NAS both from cost and hardware point of view and I'm surprised that this single-chip NAS has jumbo frame support.

I don't think you will see jumbo frame support in dd-wrt in the nearest future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I've read about jumbo frames is that it isn't official by IEEE and the reason is it can break some of 802.11 connections..
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
PetervdM wrote:
who needs it? no one!
who wants it? everyone!
why? because it exists!

basically this lol.

deltatux
Apokrif
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
The switch driver dd-wrt uses currently doesn't support jumbo frames.

phuzi0n,
May I assume, jumbo frames fragmentation / defragmentation already "built in" into DD-WRT routing component (i.e. not switching one)
mkc2lr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the answers.

As DD-WRT seems to be more stable and also has a much higher wlan performance on my E3000 than tomato, I solved the issue in this way:

I stay with dd-wrt on my router and added another switch for the NAS and the desktop. The switch is also connected to the E3000. The transition between switch and router seems to be ok. The desktop can access the NAS with 9k and seems to be fine with the internet connection over the E3000. As almost every simple switch supports jumbo frames, this is not a big deal.

Reading all the dd-wrt and tomato posts, there seem to be plenty of people with the same issue (espacially in conjuction with NAS)
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apokrif wrote:

May I assume, jumbo frames fragmentation / defragmentation already "built in" into DD-WRT routing component (i.e. not switching one)

MTU Path Discovery is required for all internet hosts. It's not the router who solves this, but your PC instead.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: