Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
mrg666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jorge Silva wrote:
No i haven't.But seems that problem with Virtual Interfaces remains in the same state and some other stuffs that should be working by now.I have flashed 3 Asus Wl-520G and 1 USR-5461 ( both Broadcom based ) and they worked quite well. I guess that the ralink and atheros routers are as second option.Basically DD-WRT is made for broadcom ( correct me if i'm wrong ).

Regards,
Jorge Silva

Actually, some high-end Buffalo routers based on Atheros chipset come with DD-WRT firmware now. I only have some low-end routers to play with Smile Ralink support is also pretty old with DD-WRT and works quite well. Don't forget that we are discussing the bleeding edge DD-WRT beta firmware here. There are always stable and functional older builds that we can go back.

2x E2000 Tomato-Toastman 0501.2 AP (external antennas)
TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
Sponsor
Creature
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.

I will try it with last build tonight. will post feedback here.
Anyone who can get vpn server working in reapeater bridge mode with any build?
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Creature wrote:
mrg666 wrote:
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.

I will try it with last build tonight. will post feedback here.

Very interested in the result here aswell :)

C
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cant say i got it to work.. not that i get it to work with 15578 either tho :(

I have a Dir-600 rev B2, and i't totally unable to get this to work in any other way than "Client" and using routing tables to get any connection at all :(

I guess this hardware cannot run any sort of bridge at all then?
Creature
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
see the green highlated text here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88513&sid=f72cde48d8ab7bd91d71f383c37eb950
Creature
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:

It work! at least on my dir-615 d3! not from the begining but... click the above link, read first green text!
mrg666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Creature wrote:
mrg666 wrote:

It work! at least on my dir-615 d3! not from the begining but... click the above link, read first green text!

Thank you for the feedback!
But you also indicate that (I am quoting from your other thread)
Creature wrote:
Basic Settings: G-only, as probably noticed by everyone testing this build, 40Mhz bandwith save or apply button won't work in any configuration tried.

So you are confirming that it is working for G only. Right? I would rather stay with 15778, if upgrading the firmware to 16214 means downgrading the wireless performance to G for repeater bridge.

TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
Creature
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:
So you are confirming that it is working for G only. Right?

Not quite. I used g only for stability as my target is other then Maximum speed in RB. I will test N later and reporting.

mrg666 wrote:
I would rather stay with 15778, if upgrading the firmware to 16214 means downgrading the wireless performance to G for repeater bridge.

That's wright, even if N works it will only work on 20Mhz bandwith wich is less from what 15778 can.
Pimped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the step by step instructions.

I got my DIR-615 D4 to work by following all but one of the instructions.

The one I didn't follow was the one where I had to add a Virtual Access Point (VAP).

After lots of trial and error I got it to work and I tried different configurations such as:

40mhz
Enable SSID / Disable SSID on pysical wireless interface
Same channel on both routers (auto worked fine when i used 20mhz)
enable and disable mac cloning.

What I want to know is will my wireless devices be able to switch to the D-Link router (the repeater bridge) even though I haven't specified a virtual interface? By not specifying a VAP, am I just saying to the router that "you are a copy of the main router so you don't need a VAP of your own"?

My main router is a Netgear Wireless N from Virgin Media (VMDG280)
madmat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 21:41    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bri Reply with quote
while reading the very extensive guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
I came across this sentence:
"To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT v24 will be configured as the Repeater Bridge."
I was wondering if this condition is necessary with any hardware and any scenario (with repeater bridge) since my current configuration has some limitations.
If I set up ap mode only I must use the ip leased by the isp for all my wan. But my isp lease only 3 ip's so it's useless for me since I want to put in my wan 5-8 devices
Anyone can help?
Thanks
mrg666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bri Reply with quote
madmat wrote:
while reading the very extensive guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
I came across this sentence:
"To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT v24 will be configured as the Repeater Bridge."
I was wondering if this condition is necessary with any hardware and any scenario (with repeater bridge) since my current configuration has some limitations.
If I set up ap mode only I must use the ip leased by the isp for all my wan. But my isp lease only 3 ip's so it's useless for me since I want to put in my wan 5-8 devices
Anyone can help?
Thanks

The IP adress assigned from your ISP is your external IP number. The router with DHCP function (you need only one DHCP server in your network) assigns private IP numbers to the devices in your internal network. The gateway router will be transparently directing IP traffic in and out, while all of your internal devices with separate private IP addresses inside your network will be using the same external IP outside your network. I recommend reading a little more in the Wiki section. Check private networks, network address translation (NAT) topics. To answer your question, the repeater bridge configuration requires one of the routers to be in AP mode. The IP address you will assign to the AP is a private IP address, something like 192.168.1.x or 10.x.x.x, etc. Only the router with the gateway function (this might not be your AP) needs the external IP number assigned to its WAN interface.

Last edited by mrg666 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 14:47; edited 1 time in total
foosean010
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is my current setup:
*Primary Router: D-Link DIR-655N - HW: A3 - FW: 1.33NA
**SSID: Pookie
**802.11 mode: mixed
**Wireless Channel: 3 (auto-scan disabled, but have tried enabled too)
**Channel Width: 20MHz
**SSID Broadcast: Yes
**No WEP/WPA/WPA2 Security setup at this time
**Router IP: 192.168.1.1
**DHCP Range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.199

*Wireless Bridge: D-Link DIR-601N - HW: A1 - FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/17/11) std
**Followed instructions here for setup:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged#V24_builds

Are there any commands I can run on the DIR-601 that will provide a readout of more in-depth information?

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. If there is any additional information needed from me to possibly diagnose the problem, I would be more than happy to provide what I can.

My only other option, if this does not work, would be to swap duties of the routers. Unsure what all the consequences would be, but I assume it would not be recommended.
Pimped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pimped wrote:
Thanks for the step by step instructions.

I got my DIR-615 D4 to work by following all but one of the instructions.

The one I didn't follow was the one where I had to add a Virtual Access Point (VAP).

After lots of trial and error I got it to work and I tried different configurations such as:

40mhz
Enable SSID / Disable SSID on pysical wireless interface
Same channel on both routers (auto worked fine when i used 20mhz)
enable and disable mac cloning.

What I want to know is will my wireless devices be able to switch to the D-Link router (the repeater bridge) even though I haven't specified a virtual interface? By not specifying a VAP, am I just saying to the router that "you are a copy of the main router so you don't need a VAP of your own"?

My main router is a Netgear Wireless N from Virgin Media (VMDG280)

Just to add, I got it working with Auto Channel and 20Mhz. But only the devices wired to the repeater bridge can actually get an IP address and communicate with the main router.

If I try to add a VAP, the repeater bridge no longer works. I've tried different combinations:

1 VAP - Different SSID to main
1 VAP - Same SSID as main
2 VAP - Both SSID different to main
2 VAP - 1 SSID same as main and 1 SSID different to main

I've tried the above with and without any security.

I've also tried MAC address clone in conjuction with the above and also messed with the advanced routing.

Where could I be going wrong?

I've got it working on my Linksys router so I know i've done it right before.
blitter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@foosean010, when you say "Router IP: 192.168.1.1" which router do you mean, the AP or bridge? It sounds like you might want AP at .1 and bridge at .2 with DHCP range starting at .3
Also you might find that channels 1 or 6 will give a better connection than channel 3.

@Pimped, you should try manually setting all devices to the same channel...though dd-wrt will not let you change it once you select "Save" in repeater-bridge mode...being (overly?) cautious I like to set the channel in another mode, then save, then set as repeater-bridge...just in case!
wassy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Blitter and everyone else for contributing to this thread. Finally got my DIR-615 D4 properly acting as a repeater bridge with WPA2-AES.

Tried for about 4 weeks+ to get a client mode setup working (with static routes instead of NATing) as I don't need to connect other clients to the client router (just the ethernet wired server). It worked but multicast/Upnp traffic never passed through the subnets. Finally gave up on this idea and spent the past couple of days wrangling through the repeater bridge settings. It now works with about the same performance as the client mode had.

Great stuff. Cheers!

PS. using latest build (16454) on my DIR-615. Seems to work fine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: