100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
mimmopoli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all!

...just a simple question, any chances to run successfully a dnla media server (like ushare) on this router with dd-wrt?

Mimmopoli
Sponsor
ELF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT:
I've been a bad boy. I have not read the anouncements...
Seems like I'm not supposed to use 14896 after all Smile Or is it, bad database, bad datase, you've been really bad...
geekgirrl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody you ROCK for starting this thread over.

I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) big - build 15962 and love it for the most part. Once I got it running my printer and portable HD work fine.
I'm still trying to get the scanner on the printer working and be able to read and write to the portable hard drive.
Everything has been Super stable!

mimmopoli - I'm running PS3 media server and it works beautifully. I've tried about 5 others with "OK" results and PS3 has been the best for me. If you dont have a ps3 I would try them all one at a time. I dont remember which worked best for me sorry :(

Has anyone gotten the read & write to work on a portable hard drive without installing a bunch of scripts and reformatting the hard drive? I think my drive is fat32 and it works except for the read and write.

Thanks Smile
vladoh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
After reading really interesting page: http://tomatousb.org/tut:increasing-wrt54g-transmit-power i did some tests and tend to believe N16 really shows mW and not dBm. Actually exactly as described in the page i ended at around value 60 (i use 71) to have best transmit power. Increasing it further didn't increase quality or SNR. Bellow 25 as suggested was not usable at all (signal quality was only around 2% in receiving router (asus 500gP) connected with WDS). Now i have 71 value in N16 and also 500gP however signal quality is different... N16 has signal strength around 20% and SNR around 20-25dB. While 500gP has around 40-50% signal strength and SNR also around 25-30dB (because there is more noise)

Because of signal strength I played also with antennas as i have only 1 8dB and 2 original ones in N16 and actually it doesn't matter where i put 8dB... signal is always same. It seems to me like signal strength is divided into 3 antennas.
ELF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are there any known issues between Windows XP and Asus RT-N16 with or without DD-WRT?

We're still have the same problem with build 14929.

My dad is having some serious connection problems. No connection problems when I checked his computer earlier today, but now it's going from bad to normal or did go from bad to normal. I deleted his computer/IP from the router and ran the commands (ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew) and now it works fine again.
I don't have any problems at all on my Win7 computers. One with WiFi and one with cable.
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
vladoh wrote:
After reading really interesting page: http://tomatousb.org/tut:increasing-wrt54g-transmit-power i did some tests and tend to believe N16 really shows mW and not dBm. Actually exactly as described in the page i ended at around value 60 (i use 71) to have best transmit power. Increasing it further didn't increase quality or SNR. Bellow 25 as suggested was not usable at all (signal quality was only around 2% in receiving router (asus 500gP) connected with WDS). Now i have 71 value in N16 and also 500gP however signal quality is different... N16 has signal strength around 20% and SNR around 20-25dB. While 500gP has around 40-50% signal strength and SNR also around 25-30dB (because there is more noise)

Because of signal strength I played also with antennas as i have only 1 8dB and 2 original ones in N16 and actually it doesn't matter where i put 8dB... signal is always same. It seems to me like signal strength is divided into 3 antennas.

Interesting, however in my situation I would never believe this router was operating in mW. AT 17mW I wouldnt be able to even attempt a connection as far as I am concerned. I am 2 floors above the router in a room that seems to hate me.

At 20, which if dbm would be 100mW I have a nice 42% and have issues. At 23 to 25 which if dbm would be 200mW to 300mW I have slightly higher strength and a much better connection with only maybe a few second drop out once or twice a day.

At 25 in any mode, inSSIDer shows a clear difference in strength over my WRT54G set at 84mW. My laptops card is 35mW and forced to stay at max, I dont see how my router could work at 25mW in this situation

So I tend to agree with the earlier findings of the original thread and users. dbm not mW

Eitherway I am actually switching to tomato right now to give a couple of things a go so i might play with the power a little again.

Last edited by RainMotorsports on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19; edited 1 time in total
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
ELF wrote:
Are there any known issues between Windows XP and Asus RT-N16 with or without DD-WRT?

We're still have the same problem with build 14929.

My dad is having some serious connection problems. No connection problems when I checked his computer earlier today, but now it's going from bad to normal or did go from bad to normal. I deleted his computer/IP from the router and ran the commands (ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew) and now it works fine again.
I don't have any problems at all on my Win7 computers. One with WiFi and one with cable.

More likely a wireless driver issue than a firmware issue. Find the wireless device and do a forum search on it. Update the drivers from the manufacturers website.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using the 16214 BIG build for the RT-N16 and the reason being, I could not figure out how to get NTFS to work on the MEGA. Under the BIG build, I plugged in my 2TB USB Fantom Drive, and it came up and worked perfectly. I did not have to do any optware scripts, or bizarre partitioning. It is just one big NTFS partition.
The only problem I have with 16214 is Logging.
I put a post on the main forum, but no replies.
I cannot get any syslog info after the initial boot
to go to Kiwi or Wallwatcher. I know it is putting info out there because I can do a dmesg and see it.
I know the syslogd is running because I see it in TOP. It also shows messages under the Security tab for Outgoing and Incoming, just nothing gets to Kiwi.

As for TX power "setting", I hesitate to put anything above 17 after reading that it may be DB and not MW. This is scary! Another reason why you should always do a erase nvram I guess. This router runs pretty cool using the 17 setting.

I have an N client that connects properly to this 16214 too, that is about all I can report, I don't have a G to test.

UPDATE:
Did a
erase nvram
reboot
Entered back all my settings, and logging works fine now.

Last edited by muerte33 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06; edited 1 time in total
Asgar13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
How can I open the Router without to destroy the router?

-> I found the solution under the "feets" are the bolts.
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the start to my RT-N16 project. Yes an 80x15 fan will fit inside this router. Along with a HDD :)

Attachment Below:

RTN16Zalman.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.28 KB
 Viewed:  36130 Time(s)

RTN16Zalman.jpg

doell_60
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i have the ASUS RT-N16, can you put here the Patch to get above the 105 Vlans?

If any one could give ne the script to activate the Vlans 100/101/105 i will apreciate.

Thanks.
Ampersand
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you guys have a problem with ftp/samba speed over LAN/WLAN?

Whenever I connect my devices directly together I receive 100mbit speed but with router in between I got only 500kb. Any clue why?

ELF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
More likely a wireless driver issue than a firmware issue. Find the wireless device and do a forum search on it. Update the drivers from the manufacturers website.

Can't be, he's using a cord. We have changed cord and testet it in all four ports. We have also updated The NIC.

Well, I'll have to test the original firmware. If that don't work, I'll send it back and get a new one and if that don't work, then it's my dads computer that don't like other computers in the same network.
BuzzLightyear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing that keeps bothering me is that I can't get my status to show anything higher than 144mbps. My other cruddy router shows 270mbps rate.

What could I be doing wrong? I followed the wiki to a T and I don't see any information on settings to change aside from what's in this thread.

EDIT: It's set to N only and all 3 of my N devices show 144 and 1 shows 130.

EDIT 2: I've connected my 360 up to the router and trying to stream videos from my computer using the media player. My crappy router would get 1 bar below the best in the HDTV. This router is dipping under "Acceptable for TV" and go up to full "Acceptable for TV". I just don't get it...how can this router be performing like SHIT? I have all the ports forwarded and Black Ops saying my NAT is open, so that's not the problem.

Now when I go into status, it shows this despite what I've set in the settings:

I've set the Tx power to 20, 25, and 19 and not once did that number change. And I don't know how to change that 144mbps...that's what seems to be limiting me. I even changed the channel to 4. Ugh...this is making me mad.
ravisurdhar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else having issues with the router's WAN connection crapping out when there's lots of simultaneous connections (ie, BitTorrent)? I was losing my WAN IP address for hours at a time randomly when I ran BT. I had to drop the "Max connections per torrent" to 20 and "max connections globally" to 30 to stop getting dropouts. Now I can use BT continuously, but it's pretty slow.

Using Vuze on OS X. DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) big
(SVN revision 15962)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: