Asus RT-N56U released and available!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
felixXJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N56U Reply with quote
http://www.eggers-club.de/

pklaus wrote:
SecurityFreak wrote:
Deesnt Asus products usually fail fast ?!
I never had an Asus product to last more than 3 months Smile

My ASUS wl-500g p v1 router is doing fine for more than 2 1/2 years now. But this is not the right thread to discuss quality issues of ASUS mainboards etc.

If anyone has a hint for alternative (DD-WRT / Linux) Firmware for the ASUS RT-N56U: I'm interested to know.
Sponsor
vinnie97
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
SecurityFreak wrote:

Well, my WL-500W lasted 5 years and just today became nonconnectable and nonpingable. The product was actually known for bursting capacitors (and I, in fact, ended up replacing my AC adapter in 2009 after such a capacitor failure) like many others with a rash of faulty capacitors (see Samsung's LCD television lineup from 2007), so I have a sneaking suspicion that is what happened this time. If I had the tools/spare capacitors and was more handy with electronics (and didn't have tendinitis-ridden arms), I might investigate further.

In spite of that, I definitely have my sights set on this router now.

EDIT: Must've been a fluke, the WL-500W is still operational and simply needed to be booted without network connections to any other devices (new odd development but the router is behaving normally again otherwise).

Last edited by vinnie97 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 23:40; edited 1 time in total
surrealchemist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Archimago wrote:
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-guide/view/95851/review/96489

Check out the review. Conclusion page seems upbeat on 3rd party firmwares as they "confirm" it's an open platform?

The source code is on the CD that comes with the device. Includes tar.gz with cross compiler and tool to build the firmware file, so I think that is pretty promising.

The stock admin area isn't that bad. I was expecting a lot worse from some comments, but still would like an alternative. The UPnP works fine, but the way it manages the drives is strange (but they do provide their own dynamic DNS hosting to access your files outside your network). Would be nice to have shell access and more control though.
newprof
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
surrealchemist wrote:

The stock admin area isn't that bad. I was expecting a lot worse from some comments, but still would like an alternative. The UPnP works fine, but the way it manages the drives is strange (but they do provide their own dynamic DNS hosting to access your files outside your network). Would be nice to have shell access and more control though.

http://www.eggers-club.de

Firmwares before 1.0.1.2 had telnet enabled by default, it seems as if with the new 1.0.1.3 one can enable telnet again via Web GUI. UPnP AV is now provided by minidlna rather than the ushare before.
surrealchemist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
newprof wrote:
surrealchemist wrote:

Firmwares before 1.0.1.2 had telnet enabled by default, it seems as if with the new 1.0.1.3 one can enable telnet again via Web GUI. UPnP AV is now provided by minidlna rather than the ushare before.

Telnet listening on the regular interfaces or do you have to crack the thing open to get a serial connections like that page outlines? I ran nmap on the router but I don't remember if that was before or after I updated the firmware to the latest version. I just got it Friday.

The usb sharing weirdness I mentioned was that the FTP and SMB shares are chrooted to a particular directory and I didn't see any option to change that. If you load up a UPnP device (I used my ps3) it is able to see outside the directory.
newprof
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
surrealchemist wrote:
newprof wrote:

Telnet listening on the regular interfaces or do you have to crack the thing open to get a serial connections like that page outlines? I ran nmap on the router but I don't remember if that was before or after I updated the firmware to the latest version. I just got it Friday.

If it works with 1.0.1.3 (which I only can assume because I didn't dare to flash to the new version just yet Wink) then it is regular telnet access that can be enabled via Web GUI. User and Password are "admin" IIRC.

surrealchemist wrote:

The usb sharing weirdness I mentioned was that the FTP and SMB shares are chrooted to a particular directory and I didn't see any option to change that. If you load up a UPnP device (I used my ps3) it is able to see outside the directory.

Hm, don't know. I don't do UPnP AV. But they changed the whole implementation to minidlna so it is very likely that this one will behave differently in this aspec.
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
SecurityFreak wrote:

I have had ASUS motherboards since 2002 with 0 failures ... all but one motherboard in my house are ASUS boards.

All ASUS hardware work as they should ... yes, every manufacturer do have problems but not like the experience you describe... guess depends on the model and how lucky you are...

What I have:

1x ASUS VW193TR monitor
1x ASUS Bluetooth dongle
1x ASUS RT-N16
1x ASUS M3A
1x ASUS M3A78-EM
1x ASUS K8S-LA
1x ASUS P4B533-VM (since 2002)

deltatux
icex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33    Post subject: telnetd solution Reply with quote
If you guys are interested, I found a way to enable "telnetd" without a serial port or anything that requires opening it up.

You can hack the GUI to do this. Firmware 1.0.1.2&1.0.1.3 do not have any telnet checkbox at the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_LAN_Content.asp page, but you can edit that page using Firebug(in Firefox of course) to add a input field named "telnetd" with value="1" in the same "LAN - LAN IP" form. After this you just submit the settings and wait for the router to reboot.

Code:

<input type="text" name="telnetd" value="1">

Edit: your username and password are the same as the GUI(admin and your password).

Last edited by icex on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:10; edited 1 time in total
felixXJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 16:03    Post subject: nice easy hack Reply with quote
I would like to find a way to enable detailed traffic logs to a syslog server. The only thing you can enable is the kernel messages.
irishguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 14:57    Post subject: Re: telnetd solution Reply with quote
icex wrote:
If you guys are interested, I found a way to enable "telnetd" without a serial port or anything that requires opening it up.

You can hack the the GUI to do this. Firmware 1.0.1.2&1.0.1.3 do not have any telnet checkbox at the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_LAN_Content.asp page, but you can edit that page using Firebug(in Firefox of course) to add a input field named "telnetd" with value="1" in the same "LAN - LAN IP" form. After this you just submit the settings and wait for the router to reboot.

Code:

Thanks for the tip...

However I can't in logon.. do you know the default logon.. password...

Thanks..
surrealchemist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:16    Post subject: Re: telnetd solution Reply with quote
irishguy wrote:
icex wrote:

You can hack the the GUI to do this. Firmware 1.0.1.2&1.0.1.3 do not have any telnet checkbox at the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_LAN_Content.asp page, but you can edit that page using Firebug(in Firefox of course) to add a input field named "telnetd" with value="1" in the same "LAN - LAN IP" form. After this you just submit the settings and wait for the router to reboot.

Code:

Thanks for the tip...

However I can't in logon.. do you know the default logon.. password...

Thanks..

It should be the same as whatever you use to log into the web interface. Username admin, password whatever you set it to (if you were smart and changed it to secure it).
felixXJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 15:41    Post subject: dd-wrt on this Asus Reply with quote
I wonder if Sash has received the donated hardware from Darryl for this yet...
Darryl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27    Post subject: Re: dd-wrt on this Asus Reply with quote
felixXJ wrote:
I wonder if Sash has received the donated hardware from Darryl for this yet...

Yes, the RT-N56U was received on March 18th. I would imagine there's a blacklog of donated routers being worked on.

Good things come to those that wait though Smile
felixXJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 15:42    Post subject: Yay Reply with quote
Yay! Good job Darryl.
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
@icex, wow, code injections work with the ASUS firmware ... that's a huge security hole ... does SSH work with that as well?

deltatux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 14
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: