Fan Mod. Where do I solder the fan wires on WRT54G V3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Shandleyman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 0:40    Post subject: Fan Mod. Where do I solder the fan wires on WRT54G V3.0 Reply with quote
Greetings!

I came across some heat sinks and a fan. Now I wish to find 12V on the board so solder to. Where would I find this? Is the polarity correct in the attached photo?

Also, could it be advisable to use thermal paste for conductivity and hot glue gun spots around the heat sinks to keep them secure?

Thanks!
Sponsor
khlae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually on the power connector, the pin is the back solder connection (farther away from the board), and the 'ring' is the front solder connection (closest to the edge). The casing on the router should tell you whether the pin is hot or neutral. Usually, the pin is the hot connection, in which case your wiring is probably correct.

I would not advise using hot glue on your heatsinks; it won't provide much holding force, and if it heats up too much, your heatsinks will be less attached and wont work so well.
Shandleyman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

khlae wrote:

I would not advise using hot glue on your heatsinks; it won't provide much holding force, and if it heats up too much, your heatsinks will be less attached and wont work so well.

So what would work best? The thermal pads are crap in terms of conductivity. People are mentioning superglue but I cant see where I would glue it to. Maybe an epoxy on the corners?
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thermal epoxy is what you want.
khlae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
thermal epoxy is the best choice, but if you wanted to use glue and thermal paste, you would put little glue dabs in the corners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: