Router Selection Process for Asterisk

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 0:20    Post subject: Router Selection Process for Asterisk Reply with quote
I am interested in Asterisk running on DD-WRT. I envison a fuller (not stripped down) version of Asterix running, so this means using a router with expand memory (USB port for Flash Memeory). I found a list of USB Routers that are supported by DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB

Of the lot, the BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH has 32MB FLASH ROM X 64MB RAM. A good candidate, memorywise, for the Mega Build. It is also agressively priced at $70. If anyone has had success with this router please post your experience. If there is a a better choice for a USB router, please post the model and the reason. Thank you!
Sponsor
sinerasis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went with the Asus RT-N16, which has identical specs to the Buffalo you mentioned except it has an additional USB port, which might be advantageous to you. The antenna are also have regular SMA connectors, so you can put bigger ones on, replace them if they get broken, etc.

It's been a solid router, but I do not use Asterix.
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@SINERASIS: Thank you: the extra USB port is worth the extra cost. My gut said to post the question because there is a lot of experience out there. I wonder if the ASUS suffers from the WIFI dropout problem in the BUFFALO version.
STARDOUSER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I plan on doing much the same: run Asterisk on DD-WRT as a pbx extension (trunk) of Google Voice for my Android phone. To avoid paying retail, I've been watching eBay for good routers. I lucked out and got a Belkin Play for dirt cheap(480mhz, 64mb ram, 8mb flash). People hate these routers because of the stock firmware. But of course that's why we love DD-WRT! I'm spending alot of time on this site and messing around with the firmware (and learning quite a bit about DD-WRT in the process), so I haven't set up Asterisk yet. But it's been stable and solid since I flashed it.

This is my short list of inexpensive (<$100) routers I was watching for:
Quote:
Asus RT-N16 (broadcom)
Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300NH, WZR-HP-G300NH (atheros)
Belkin F7D3301, F7D3302, F7D4301, F7D4302 (broadcom)
D-link dir-825 (atheros)
jjplus JA76PF, Sparklan WAPD-182N (atheros)
Linksys E2100L (atheros)
Netgear WNDR3700 (atheros), WNR3500L (broadcom)
Arada MaxR-7200, MaxR-7300 (broadcom)

I'm not certain if the Atheros based routers are as viable, since Broadcom is currently better supported. But I wanted to keep at least a somewhat open perspective. You will almost never see some of those on ebay, but it doesn't hurt to try!

My criteria was something like this:

1. usb support (for Optware)
  2. 8MB flash (for Big build)
  3. fast cpu (around half a gigahertz, so most of those are 420-680mhz)
  4. 64MB ram (hey, why not?)
I also wanted to use OpenVPN so when I make calls on my school wifi, my sneaky classmates can't tap or snoop my call :p

I don't know about the minimum requirements for Asterisk, but hopefully this is enough. The router will have to encrypt (VPN) and then relay SIP packets (Asterisk) with a very low latency. I sort of disregarded the general advice given here on the site, "for absolute stability, use a k24 build." The Belkin Play I got requires (afaik) a 2.6 kernel eko build. So you might take issue with my list, or disregard my advice entirely. To each his own Very Happy
wellspear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04    Post subject: Re: Router Selection Process for Asterisk Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:

Of the lot, the BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH has 32MB FLASH ROM X 64MB RAM. A good candidate, memorywise, for the Mega Build.

Definitly. 64 MB RAM is great for that.
okki
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
For a house or a small business Asterisk on your router is perfect for tying in all those different telephony services. Memory is generally under 15% with Asterisk loaded with multiple active channels. 64 MB is more than enough. I use the WNR 3500L. Indeed, I would use Broadcom for the most trouble free experience. Apart from the time it took to realise the requirement to power cycle the router before USB works for the first time, I've never had any major problems.

BTW, I read Google Voice now supports SIP. That may ease up the installation, doesn't it? Since you now don't need the GV module? EDIT, I'm sorry, it seems you can only call to GV numbers with SIP now, not make calls.
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone had success with Ubiquiti routers? I ask because they have very powerful radios. Not sure that they have USB ports though.
STARDOUSER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
okki wrote:
For a house or a small business Asterisk on your router is perfect for tying in all those different telephony services. Memory is generally under 15% with Asterisk loaded with multiple active channels. 64 MB is more than enough. I use the WNR 3500L. Indeed, I would use Broadcom for the most trouble free experience. Apart from the time it took to realise the requirement to power cycle the router before USB works for the first time, I've never had any major problems.

BTW, I read Google Voice now supports SIP. That may ease up the installation, doesn't it? Since you now don't need the GV module? EDIT, I'm sorry, it seems you can only call to GV numbers with SIP now, not make calls.

They disabled that as soon as it was discovered (again). Same thing happened last year too. I have a hunch that we won't see real GV SIP support till at least next year, when they start charging for the service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: