DIR-601 A1 - Here are the flashing Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 17:22    Post subject: DIR-601 A1 - Here are the flashing Instructions Reply with quote
In the supported devices wiki this unit is listed as supported, but I can find no threads on installation, and there is no wiki guide. I am prepared to write a wiki guide, and I have this router, if someone is willing to give me some guidance on flashing. It says build 16172 is to be used in the supported devices wiki.

I have the hardware to recover by jtag and serial if need be.

Edit: Seems the supported router wiki must refer to the changeset, not the build as there is no 16172 build that I could see. However, this is in the 16214 release that is after that change:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/02-17-11-r16214/dlink-dir601a1/

Here are the steps:

Download this file:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/02-17-11-r16214/dlink-dir601a1/dir601a1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Plug a cable into the LAN port of your router. Never upgrade except with a LAN cable connected to your router from your computer, and make sure your firewall, virus protection and wireless are OFF in your computer.

On your router, hold the reset button down for 30 seconds. Yellow power light should blink orange and then all lights should return to normal.

Set a static IP on your computer of 192.168.0.9. If you don't know how to do this, you should not be messing with third party firmware.

Login to the router at 192.168.0.1. Admin is username and password is left blank. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RETURNED TO FACTORY DEFAULTS

Go to the firmware upgrade page. Select the dir601a1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin that you downloaded earlier to upgrade

Hit UPGRADE.

WAIT FOR THREE MINUTES WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING. TIME THIS!

An orange soccer ball like icon will light on the front of your router.

Change your computer IP back to AUTO IP and AUTO dns.

Check your LAN connection status. You should have an IP on your computer in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

Logon to your router at 192.168.1.1

SELECT the username (make ALL the dots blue highlighted) and enter one that you will remember.

Select the password and enter one that you will remember, and then enter these and go in and configure your router.

Now in wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-601

SUPPORTED DEVICE Wiki also updated.
Sponsor
Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Infinite thanks for this... took a bit of Google digging to find this topic myself (the top Google result for "dir-601 dd-wrt" is a pointless trollfest). Many thanks for the guide. Seems the only hardware version available right now is A1, so it's worth a shot (currently shopping around for a router to use as an access point, once I find one that plays nice with DD-WRT, it's sold!).

Update: Bought it, followed the guide (was already factory reset out of the box, heh), and it works GREAT! Thanks for the guide, I think D-Link owes ya one. Or two, rather, since I plan on buying one for myself this weekend (although I'll be keeping that one stock, most likely). I really love the stock interface, but in this scenario we needed a pure AP that only DD-WRT can provide. And for that, it works great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to see what the newer Dlink 1.02NA update had so I flashed back to the factory firmware and added the instructions from another dlink to the wiki.

I'm not sure if it's just my device, but have you found that with the present build of DD-WRT, the Channel Width's options are only 20,10, and 5 mhz?

I want to be able to set it wider to 40 or 40/20, which you can with the Dlink firmware.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
dasartis wrote:
I wanted to see what the newer Dlink 1.02NA update had so I flashed back to the factory firmware and added the instructions from another dlink to the wiki.

I'm not sure if it's just my device, but have you found that with the present build of DD-WRT, the Channel Width's options are only 20,10, and 5 mhz?

I want to be able to set it wider to 40 or 40/20, which you can with the Dlink firmware.

You can with dd-wrt as well, set you modes as AP and N-only or NG-Mixed, then apply, after the apply it should then let you set the widths.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
dasartis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! Such a simple fix. It pushed my wireless speeds from about 40 mb/s to about 65 mb/s.
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Falcon4 wrote:
Infinite thanks for this...

Glad I could help!
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 18:48    Post subject: Ahh, finally !! Reply with quote
I waited so long to get support of DD-WRT on this router, it's a cheap router and I think the hardware is good but the firmware is lacking stability.

I'll try your procedure once I have some free time.
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 22:41    Post subject: Success !! Reply with quote
Ahh what a relief to have dd-wrt at last !!

I was afraid a little bit when I hit "upgrade FW", because the router just stayed with previous IP, I never saw the orange light. But fortunately, when I unplugged and plugged the router, it booted on the dd-wrt firmware.

Thanks a lot !

I have one question, do you know how to configure manually the dns to communicate with dlinkddns ? I don't want to create another account for dynamic dns on a new site, it would be the third one.

Edit:
Huh I had good luck because I was able to configure it !

DNS Service: Custom
DNS Server: dlinkddns.com
User Name: Yours
Password: Yours
Host name: Yours
URL: /nic/update?
Additional options: --dyndns_system dyndns@dyndns.org --ip_server_name checkip.dyndns.org:8245 /
plankeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 0:32    Post subject: Can't flash DIR-601 back to factory Reply with quote
dasartis wrote:

I tried the instructions for flashing the DIR-601 back to factory firmware, but was unsuccessful. For one thing, setting an IP of 192.168.0.x before flashing back doesn't make sense, due to the router having DD-WRT on it at the time, which has a 192.168.1.x ip. That aside, the DD-WRT firmware upgrade utility returns with an error when trying to upgrade to the factory firmware.

If anybody else has done this successfully, please check over the steps in the wiki and let me know what changes, if any need to be made. This router had poor performance for me on DD-WRT, so I want to get it back to factory firmware before taking it back to the store. Thanks.
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Poor performance ? In what situation ?

dd-wrt always gave me better performance and stability compared to the original firmware.

There are a lot of settings maybe you have to play with them.
W.I.C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using dd-wrt on my DIR-601 for several weeks now.

The only performance issue that i've noticed is that the maximum TX power when using Wireless N is limited to 9 dBm...which is shockingly low. It doesn't get that much better when using B or G...they top out at 12 dBm.

The maximum TX power varies depending on the channel that you chose, so on certain channels the maximum TX power drops to 5 dBm.

That issue aside, the Wireless N transfer rate(150Mbit link) when sending files from wired lan to a wifi device is about 9 MegaBytes/sec, while the reverse, sending files from a wifi device to the wired lan is about 7 MegaBytes per second.

Overall those speeds are the same that I would receive when using the stock D-Link firmware.

Unrelated DIR-601 tip:

Using WiViz in the dd-wrt control panel will bring down ath0 99% of the time, making WiFi unusable. The easiest way to bring ath0 back up is to then simply click on "Site Survey" Cool
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't test the wireless that much, but I saw that the transfer speed was not at 150 mbps like yours, not sure why.

But for the db, you can look at the wireless advanced settings, I know there is a field with the db in it.
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah I found the culprit, the channel width was not at 40 MHz.
plankeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 14:02    Post subject: DIR-601 stuck on DD-WRT Reply with quote
kensiko wrote:
Poor performance ? In what situation ?

dd-wrt always gave me better performance and stability compared to the original firmware.

There are a lot of settings maybe you have to play with them.

I could never get it to connect to any of my pc's at anything higher than 72Mbps, with much lower actual throughput.

I'm trying to use Beyond TV Link over wireless and am having trouble finding a router that can handle it consistently. When running it on a hardwired connection, it runs smooth as butter, but over wireless, it seriously depends on proximity to the router. I feel that if I could at least get a consistent 150Mbps connection, I could get enough throughput for it to work.

But, I really need an answer to my other original question as to how to get the factory firmware back on the unit. Do I have to resort to FTP'ng it?
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe you took the good guy :P

I use TV streaming for maybe 4 years now. I've been playing with many software and only had problems since upgrading to Windows Vista or 7. The problems disappeared when I switched to the DIR-601 because of the higher speed.

But today, I found a really good software that is not having problems with low connections: Mediaportal (open source). Try it. If you feel it is slow, I may help you do the same thing as I did, switch to a file sharing mode.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: