DIR-601 A1 - Here are the flashing Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh can you check if the wireless settings are like that ?
Sponsor
alfer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if this version works with the DIR-600 rev A1? I tried to install but got a message from the factory firmware saying "The uploaded firmware file may not be correct. You may have uploaded a file that is not intended for this Gateway, or the uploaded file may be corrupted."

Yet according to the supported devices page at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link, the D-Link DIR-600 A1 is supported by "DIR601A1 v.24 SP2 - build 16172 - 20110209". However this version is nowhere to be found. Do I need to edit something in this bin to trick the d-link firmware into accepting it perhaps?
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I remember well, the DIR600 was supported since a while, look at dd-wrt support list.
alfer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kensiko wrote:
If I remember well, the DIR600 was supported since a while, look at dd-wrt support list.

Checked the database - DIR-600 rev A1 is not listed (B1 is, but B1 is based on RaLink, whereas my A1 is an artheros based device).

The supported devices list at the link above does list the DIR-600 rev A1 but I can't find the build specified, 16172.
W.I.C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
DIR-600 Rev A1 and the DIR-601 appear to be same hardware devices. The DIR-601 PCB has DIR-600 A1 printed on it, and is likely nothing more than a refreshed DIR-600 A1 that they market under their "Green" initiative.

Furthermore, I have previously flashed my DIR-601 with stock DIR-600 A1 firmware in the past without any issue. However this cannot be done via the web GUI; You need to access the emergency bootloader/firmware recovery page to flash your dlink with any firware that you want.

This is how i have flashed my dir-601 with dir-600 A1,openwrt,gargoyle, and dd-wrt firmwares.

Our D-link's are essentially unbrickable, so you need not worry Very Happy

Download the latest version of dd-wrt for the dir 601/600 A1 here:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/03-17-11-r16454/dlink-dir601a1/dir601a1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

To access the emergency firmware uploading page, you need to:

- Hold down the reset button until the internet connection/globe LED is solid yellow, and the power LED is flashing amber. All other LEDs should not be lit.

- Change the IP address on your wired lan connected computer to 192.168.0.x (x being anything other than "1"), with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

- Now type in http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser.

You will be presented with the emergency fimware recovery/uploader page "D-LINK Firmware Upgrade System ".

- Select the firmware which you would like to flash to your router, then click "Send".

- The firmware uploading page uses a simple timer to falsely display a firmware update completion percentage. You can disregard it. You'll know when the firmware has been updated when you see all of the leds on the router flash simultaneously, which indicates that the fimware update is complete, and the router has been rebooted.

-Once the above has occured, you can set your lan adaptor to obtain an IP address via DHCP, or change your IP address to 192.168.1.x (x being anything other than "1"), with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

-Type in http://192.168.1.1 to determine if your DIR-600 Rev A1 (now turned into a DIR-601) is running dd-wrt.

:D
Dr.X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51    Post subject: DIR-601 Reply with quote
Hello.

I have downloaded and flashed for my DIR-601 and seemed to go well, but it does not offer "repeater" mode. Is there a different file I should have used?

Thanks for any help you can supply.
-Dr.X
alfer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
W.I.C wrote:
DIR-600 Rev A1 and the DIR-601 appear to be same hardware devices...

W.I.C you are the man! I used emergency room to load this firmware to my DIR-600 rev A1 successfully and its working great! Only one minor thing I ran into trouble with, to get into emergency room, I had to unplug the router, then hold down the reset button as I plugged it back in. Once plugged in, keep holding for about 3-5 seconds then release - you should see the orange globe blinking slowly, at that point, point your browser to 192.168.0.1 (assuming you have set a static IP of 192.168.0.9 or something else on that subnet on your PC) and you will see the emergency room interface. Chrome didn't work for me - I got an invalid hardware ID message when I tried the first time, but after I reset the router and tried with firefox instead I got it to load no problem. Hope this helps anyone else looking for dd-wrt on their dir-600 a1!

ETA: By the way can anyone update the wiki? If not can someone edit the entry for dir-600 a1 to point to this thread at: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link
Dr.X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Alfer
Hey Alfer, can you take a look to see if you get a "Repeater" option in the configuration settings (don't activate it if that's not what you want tho)? All I get is AP, Client Bridge ect...

I flashed mine using dir601a1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin and it will work fine as an AP or router or whatever I want but will NOT offer me a way to do a "universal repeater mode". URM requires that there be a "repeater" option in the basic configuration page, but that does not appear on mine (that was the whole reason for me flashing in the first place).

Can you tell me what version you flashed with?

Thanks for any info you can supply.
-Dr.X

[edit] ps: oops. not the basic config page, but the wireless configuration page.... or something like that... can't remember now. LOL Sorry. Smile
alfer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Dr X - No repeater mode on mine either. I'm pretty sure I read a post somewhere that said Artheros devices such as ours can't handle repeater mode. The suggestion was to look into using WDS instead so you might want to read up on that to see if it will work for you.
Dr.X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alfer.
I'm going to investigate WDS now. (what the heck is that? lol)

On a good note tho, the router gave me some experience playing with dd-wrt. That's a good thing.

Take care and have fun with this cool little router.

-Dr.X
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't know this WDS thing but a 30 seconds search gave me that link:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3628576/DD-WRT-Tutorial-2-Extend-Range-with-WDS.htm

Hope this will help.
Dr.X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Kensiko.

Yes, after my last post, a simple google search told me what it stood for. I thank you.

Anyway, most of what I have gotten from WDS descriptions tell me this is not likely to be my solution. I already have a DWL-800AP that has repeater functionality, but has to be configed to the AP I want to repeat. I wanted the repeater mode that I saw in the article about open networks and automatically connecting to them. I had planed on putting one in my vehicle, leaving it there to find the strongest open network, letting it relay that to me in the building, making sure I parked close enough to send that signal into the place. Then when I turn on my laptop, it could have a choice between using the free signal apparently emanating from the parking lot, or if none available, switch to my paid wireless solution. Looks like WDS needs configuration with every connection I would want to relay. Might be too much work for the short bursts of needs I would have.

Thanks for the answers anyways. I'm off to research what router I would need to buy to have that fancy functionality :-)

-Dr.X
kensiko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 14:56    Post subject: Up-time 17 days Reply with quote
I now have an up-time of 17 days, that would never have been possible with the original firmware.

Really, really, big thanks to dd-wrt guys !
sportsfan2005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this update! I was looking for a cheap wireless N solution for my entertainment center (Samsung TV, Xbox 360 (no wireless version), WII, and my media pc).

DD-WRT works great on this router in client mode. Best of all I picked up a refurb as a weekend special on BestBuy.com for $20. With only one hardware revision currently available, this is one of the safest routers available for online order.
jb317
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody get this router to work as a client bridge? If so, HOW!?!

Thanks in advance.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: