Guide: NTFS Read/Write support now possible! (K2.4 & 2.6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
disco
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone explain me why everytime I mount a separate pen/hard disk it always mount in /opt, where I already have another partion (from separate hard drive, in this case, a usb pen) previous mounted there by automount?
My setup is a (temporary) 8GB pen, with optware, mnt jffs, all in ext3,
I'm trying to mount a ntfs 1TB western digital ext hardrive and I cannot find a way to do it!

BTW, fuse is automatic loaded (using BS 16214 mega).

I already tried adding the uuid of the partition to /opt/etc/automount and specifying the folder where to mount but I only get the router to crash!

Tried manually mounting the wd disk with ntfs-3g but I get a message saying that something similiar to this: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/ (already closed previous shell session, and don't remember the path exactly, sorry) is a directory and fails to mount.

Thanks you
Sponsor
Benjobobby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 17:48    Post subject: Error installing ntfs-3g Reply with quote
I'm trying to get NTFS support for my USB-attached 1T drive, following the post at the top of this thread. I'm running an E3000, with this build: dd-wrt.v24-16214_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e2k-e3k. I have USB enabled; I've enabled JFFS2 (Total: 2,304.00 KB / Free: 1,588.00 KB). I've created the ipkg-related /jffs directories, and downloaded the ntfs-3g...ipk file. When I run this:

ipkg -d root install ntfs-3g_2011.1.15-1-fuseint_brcm47xx.ipk

I get this error:

root@E3000:/jffs/tmp# ipkg -d ram install ntfs-3g_2011.1.15-1-fuseint_brcm47xx.ipk
Unpacking ntfs-3g...Done.
Configuring ntfs-3g.../tmp/usr/lib/ipkg/info/ntfs-3g.postinst: line 5: can't create /etc/filesystems: Read-only file system

I'm baffled. I understand that /etc is probably read-only, as it should be, but why is the installer/package trying to write anything there? By installing with the "-d root" option, doesn't that write to /jffs? This is really my first attempt at installing a package using ipkg, so I'm probably missing something fundamental.

Thanks in advance for any counsel you may offer. -Ben

EDIT 2011-03-20, 11:11Pacific: realized that this build actually has support built-in. What a dumb-ass I can be sometimes. Now just to figure out how to access it via my Win7 laptop.... -Ben
Maxrunner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the ntfs support independent of the hardware?what iam asking is, i have an asus wl-500gp v2 and it doesnt support ntfs officially.....will this method work with my router?
UnixNoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32    Post subject: Re: Error installing ntfs-3g Reply with quote
Benjobobby wrote:
I'm trying to get NTFS support for my USB-attached 1T drive, following the post at the top of this thread. I'm running an E3000, with this build: dd-wrt.v24-16214_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e2k-e3k. I have USB enabled; I've enabled JFFS2 (Total: 2,304.00 KB / Free: 1,588.00 KB). I've created the ipkg-related /jffs directories, and downloaded the ntfs-3g...ipk file. When I run this:

I get this error:

root@E3000:/jffs/tmp# ipkg -d ram install ntfs-3g_2011.1.15-1-fuseint_brcm47xx.ipk
Configuring ntfs-3g.../tmp/usr/lib/ipkg/info/ntfs-3g.postinst: line 5: can't create /etc/filesystems: Read-only file system

I'm baffled. I understand that /etc is probably read-only, as it should be, but why is the installer/package trying to write anything there? By installing with the "-d root" option, doesn't that write to /jffs? This is really my first attempt at installing a package using ipkg, so I'm probably missing something fundamental.

I am having the exact same problem trying to install NTFS support. I am however running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 which does not already include NTFS. My router is a WRT610N. I am a noob as far as DD-WRT /Unix/ Linux is concerned, so any help in solving this problem is much appreciated.

Some backgroud: I enabled JFFS2 support in the web GUI and mounted it on the 1st partition (ext3) of my USB attached HD to extend it's capacity. I was thinking of installing any additional ipkg packages to the extended jffs. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the above problem but I am including it for information.
Maxrunner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ave the asus wl500gp v2 and i still have some doubts regarding ntfs with optaware, do i still need a ext3 partition if i plan using the ntfs one ????i know that optware packages are loaded from the hdd so i was wondering if still need a ext partition to store there. can anyone confirm??
treska32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 17:41    Post subject: Re: Error installing ntfs-3g Reply with quote
UnixNoob wrote:
Benjobobby wrote:

I get this error:

I am having the exact same problem trying to install NTFS support. I am however running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 which does not already include NTFS. My router is a WRT610N. I am a noob as far as DD-WRT /Unix/ Linux is concerned, so any help in solving this problem is much appreciated.

Some backgroud: I enabled JFFS2 support in the web GUI and mounted it on the 1st partition (ext3) of my USB attached HD to extend it's capacity. I was thinking of installing any additional ipkg packages to the extended jffs. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the above problem but I am including it for information.

Same problem here? Anyone willing to help us Rolling Eyes

Thanks.!
Maxrunner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
optware package already contains the ntfs-3g driver.....
zzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, been a regular in the forum, just want to thank you all for bringing the best of my Router.
I have an Asus WL500GP and wanted to attach an NTFS disk to it without the need of using an EXT3 file system.

I've installed the last firmware Eko:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn17084/dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD_mini_usb_ftp.bin

Next followed the guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware
1-Enabled the jffs in WebAcess
2 - Option A: Preparing /jffs for /opt
3- Installed Optware (it gave a few errors but I carry on ...)
4- Installed ntfs-3g ... (see 1st post)

And thats it simple Very Happy
I now see my NTFS disk in the /mnt folder.

Now can you help me configuring the Samba in the WebAcess so it'll be access in Windows 7 machines ?

Thanks again
tashiy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all

I know this is old tread. I also have problems to mount with ntfs-3g.

I installed ntfs-3g with optware.

When I like to mount a ntfs partition I get the following error:

Code:
ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root

I also tried the load fuse.o and fuse.ko. But when I do a lsmod I dont see the modules.

Would be great if someone can give me a hint.

Infos:
DD-WRT: v24-sp2 (12/08/11) mega
Hardware: Linksys e3000
wuly12345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I insmod the fuse.ko unsuccessfully. my fireware is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mega.Sad
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
wuly12345 wrote:
I insmod the fuse.ko unsuccessfully. my fireware is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mega.Sad

I do not think there is a current module available for the 2.4 kernels. The only ones available for DD-WRT is on the 2.6 kernels.

Side note: The E3000 can use the 2.6 kernels, therefore it is possible to get the "big" firmware for it that has the ntfs support.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
dkdkdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Im running 17084M NEWD-2Eko-mini-usb-ftp on my WL-500gPV2 with 1USB stick with installed Optware, which is mounted to /opt. It has 3partitions - swap,opt,data.
Now, I want to add a 500GB external 2.0 USB drive, with only 1 partition, NTFS formated and prepare everything like its written in the first post.
But when its added to the router and restarted, the first drive/stick is not running optware and the mounts are messed cause of Automounting in ddWRT WEBGui.
Its obvious I have to mount everything manually
-1. stick, let it load everything
-sleep
-insmod fuse
-mount HDD with ntfs-3g
, but here stands the problem. "mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /opt" is not working for me
Crying or Very sad and the rest follows.
Any suggestion, help?
Thanks in advance
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the "WL-500gPV2" have more than one USB slot? If not, then you are likely removing your "stick" to attach the second storage drive. That is not possible as your "stick" has the necessary programs to mount the second storage area.

With one USB slot, he only possible way to make your drive work is with a USB hub (preferably a powered one as most routers do not supply enough juice via USB). Then you will still have to "manually" mount everything. As it is, you will have more control over the process at that point.

If that router does have two USB slots, then you like just have the wrong mount point.

Read! Peacock thread
dkdkdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus WL-500gp v2 has 2 USB ports.
...I tried another thing - partitioning mentioned external HDD to swap(swap-linux),opt(ext3),data(ntfs) and after installing Optware, that ntfs was automatically mounted. So support of ntfs is allready built-in.
But this is not the solution, as I really need to have
- USB pendrive in 1 slot running Optware
- USB 2.0 HDD in second slot for data and spinned down when not in use.

What about mounting them automatically through DDWRT webGUI before installing optware to the pendrive?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not realize that router had two USB slots. On the DD-WRT side, auto mounting two drives is impossible through the GUI, but *is* possible when using Optware.

"Optware the Right Way" (OTRW) was originally created by frater, but has been continued development by basmaf. The install of OTRW includes an automount script that takes care of any mounting for you on Optware startup. You might investigate into using OTRW even if the rest of its features you do not need.

As for the "spin down" feature, I think you will need to look for other forum member's progress on that because DD-WRT does not provide that feature by default. If your drive supports it, your drive may be able to automatically spin down.

Read! Peacock thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: