ASUS RT-N16 dd-wrt install issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17    Post subject: ASUS RT-N16 dd-wrt install issue Reply with quote
I have an ASUS RT-N16 which I have tried to flash with dd-wrt every which way I know how and am having a weird problem.
Once the router is flashed (either through using the default fw gui or using the recovery mode method)it will load dd-wrt (mini first then big). Then after settings seem to be in place if I turn the router off for an extended period of time (5 min+) the power light and a lan light will come on for about 5 sec and then all lights will turn off and router will be completely unresponsive. If I get a good flash of dd-wrt and leave the power on then the settings are good and the router seems to work fine, but even after leaving it in for a whole day (with just mini or big) reseting the nvram multiple times throughout the day it will still not boot up if unpluged for more than 5 min.
Sometimes it even has a rough time getting back into recover mode to reflash with included software.

What am I missing. I am using ie with a windows 7 machine. I have tried to flash it with different versions (older and newer) of the K26 and also with different versions of the default ASUS firmware installed. I have also made sure to telnet in and erase the nvram over and over again in the process. I am turning off windows firewall to use the recovery mode.

The router only has issues when dd-wrt is flsahed to it. If I get it back to recovery mode and flash it with factory default firmware the router behaves normally.

I know this is a weird issue. I have been beating my head against the wall for over a week. Hopefully there is something that I am missing that someone will be able to point out.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
read the last 3 useful links in my sig and the "why has no-one replied" sticky Smile
list of optware packages
broadcom announcements, peacock and recommended builds
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 18:41    Post subject: Other important info Reply with quote
This is the mini version I referred to earlier which I installed as par the wiki instructions (both through the default firmware and also ASUS's restoration utillity)
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx

and then dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

These are the versions I was using while having the above issues.

Are you thinking that it might be a 30-30-30 issue why the router is acting up after being unplugged.

I also thought it might have something to do with the nvram not being completely reset or some type of hang up there which is why I used the erase nvram command through telnet....

Just kinda at a loss. This is my first experience with the K2.6 dd-wrt while I have used 24 for a long time with ~ 30 Buffalo HP routers.

Let me know if there are other things that would clear this up and make it easier for others to help.

Thanks
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 19:58    Post subject: 30-30-30 Reply with quote
Under the wiki the 30-30-30 is not found anywhere. I followed the install instructions to a T (about 10 times or so by now). If someone has used the 30-30-30 at some point of the install let me know and I will give it a shot.

Thanks,
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can connect via telnet or ssh, and issue the "erase nvram" command, and then reboot.

Alternately, you can depress the red power button briefly when plugging in the power connector.

Both methods are described either in the Wiki, or in the RT-N16 thread, if I recall correctly.

Edit: Have you checked this thread?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88118

WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 21:39    Post subject: Main problem Reply with quote
Thanks.

Ya I have been able to telnet in and run the erase nvram command. Ya, that thread is nice a much easier read than the 100 pages of the other.

The problem I am having is that after I get dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin successfully up on the router and am able to access it and change settings, and even power cycle it. If I unplug it for more than 5 min the lights(power and used lan) come on for ~4 sec and then go off, the router is unpingable.
I have to put the router in recovery mode to bring things back up.

However when I put ASUS's firmware on the machine I don't have the same unplugged issue and things seem fine.

Any thoughts?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the peacock announcement and the wiki install for this router. If you failed to follow any of the instructions there, follow them now. If you did flash properly and are not doing anything that the peacock says not to, and are doing all that it says to do, return the router. It is not functioning properly. DD-wrt does put a higher load on the router.

Once you have complied with all the instructions in the peacock that apply, finally, do a proper hard reset of the router (30-30-30 won't work on this router...explained in the peacock/wiki). Don't configure it at all. If it resets, it is definitely defective.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router and did not experience any issues. Perhaps you have a bad router? Is it too late for you to return it and replace it with another?
cr0by
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 23:04    Post subject: ASUS on the phone Reply with quote
Thanks guys for all the responses.

I think I do just have a bad router. On the phone with ASUS getting my RMA as I type. :)

Thanks again all
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well when you get your good one just so you know as per the wiki you can use the recovery flasher to flash the initial firmware. I have actually flashed from asus firmware (post having dd-wrt on it) straight to tomato using the ASUS tool. I am not sure that the RT-N16 really needs a trailed build anymore for the initial flash. But I always follow the instructions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: