Auto Channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cellojoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 14:16    Post subject: Auto Channel Reply with quote
every time I change a setting, the router must reset. I'm wondering if I set the wireless channel to "auto", will the router reset each time it changes the channel??

WRT54G
DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) micro
Sponsor
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't just change channels at random when it's on Auto. With auto, it negotiates the best channel at start up, and remains there until you reboot, shut down, lose connection, etc. When changing channels, the router doesn't do a complete reboot, it shuts down the wireless, changes channels, and restarts the wireless...there's no way around that.

As to your opening statement that the router resets with each setting change, what do you mean by "reset". There are only a few setting changes that cause the router to actually do a complete reboot. Most setting changes cause the router to only pause briefly while making the change, then it returns to normal operation in a few seconds......again, there's no way around that.

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
bigo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be a good neighbor and set the channel manually to 1, 6 or 11...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7138&highlight=1%206%2011

If set to auto what algorithm is used to detect the best available channel? When I used the fon router (OpenWRT based) it selected channel 2 and messed up my wireless phone. Had to set it manually to get it to work.
cellojoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
by reset, I've found that it is just the wireless.
I've set the channel to 'auto' and it's now on channel one, so i guess i'll keep it on auto. does anyone know if the 'auto' setting prefers 1, 6, and 11? I'm in an apartment on campus, and no one that i know in the building has a landline, and therefore no cordless phones, if that makes a difference in choice of channels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: