WBR-G54 -- Guide to install dd-wrt plus return to ORIGINAL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
oab2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:07    Post subject: WBR-G54 -- Guide to install dd-wrt plus return to ORIGINAL! Reply with quote
I have recently gone through the process of taking a perfectly fine Buffalo WBR-G54 and installing dd-wrt and then easily returning it to original factory resets. It is very easy and I have been able to repeat it a few times.

Since the wiki jumps around a bit for this model I am going to go step by step through the process of going from factory original to dd-wrt and then back to factory original.

For all of this I used the lan and not wireless as I have had problems before with firmware upgrades failing. Also make sure you download the files you need beforehand.

Files you will need:
    TFTP client from Linksys found here
    A telnet/shell program. I use putty for windows found here
    openwrt white russian found here
    The dd-wrt v23 SP2 final (15.sep.2006) found in the download section
    Buffalo WBR-G54 Firmware from AhMan's website, it is at the bottom of the page.
    Buffalo Tech's newest firmware for the WBR-G54 Should be 2.20_1.16yada_yada

There are two parts to this: Part 1 walks you through going from the Buffalo original to dd-wrt. Part 2 tells you how to go from dd-wrt to buffalo original.

PART 1: I want to try dd-wrt

Step 1 - Backup: Make a backup of your settings in the Buffalo's save settings menu (under management).

Step 2 - Restore: Restore to factory defaults. This will require changing your lan ip. I just had my nic set to dhcp and used windows command box to change.
Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Step 3 - Verify: After the Buffalo rebooted I made sure that it was running the factory defaults.

Step 4: - TFTP openwrt: For my tftp process I used the Linksys tftp program because it worked. When I used the command box it failed to transfer at times. I also used a switch so my nic didn't keep popping up saying it was disconnecting and missing the very short window of tftp time. Get the Linksys tftp program ready, by selecting the openwrt file, the ip of the Buffalo (should be 192.168.11.1), 5 trys and unplug the Buffalo. Hit "Upgrade", then quickly plug the Buffalo back in. This may take a couple times to get the power off and the upgrade at the right time. Once it says upgrade complete just sit tight for a time and let the unit reboot.

Step 5 - Hello openwrt: Open wrt is used because we need to clear the nvram since it has some junk that can hinder our dd-wrt install. Using your browser go to your buffalo. It should still be at 192.168.11.1 When it comes up click on a link and it will ask you to set your password. Use admin. Now use putty, and ssh into your unit using username: root and your password (should be: admin). To clear the nvram type this:
Code:
mtd erase nvram
reboot

The shell ssh will lose it's connection and the Buffalo will restart. While this is happening switch your lan cable from the lan side to the wan on your WBR-G54. The reason for this is because clearing the nvram also clears the wan/lan designation information, thus switching them.

Step 6 - Fix the Wan & Lan: When the unit is up and running login by browser to verify that your wan & lan are messed up. If so you should login easily by using the wan port. I say if because some may not have this problem but every time I did it I did. Now login by putty again. We are going to get this corrected by typing:
Code:
nvram set lan_ifname=br0
nvram set lan_ifnames="eth0 eth2"
nvram set wan_ifname=eth1
nvram commit
reboot

Step 7 - Install dd-wrt: After the unit has restarted it is time to get Linksys tftp ready again. This time use the dd-wrt (I used the standard generic), put in admin for password or whatever you made and get ready. Once the Buffalo is completly up and running unplug it. Then, like last time, hit upgrade on Linksys and plug in the Buffalo. It should then install the dd-wrt and then it will reboot (it takes some time, 1-2 minutes.)

Step 8 - Enjoy dd-wrt: After the unit reboots you can use your browser to login. User is root and password is admin. It's has changed however to 192.168.1.1 so make this change. Go ahead and have fun.

PART 2: I just want my WBR-G54 back

Part 1 - Backup: Of course you should make a backup of your dd-wrt setings, you may want them someday.

Part 2 - Restore: Use the restore to defaults setting. NOTE: This will set your ip back to 192.168.1.1 so change your pc's ip accordingly.

Step 3 - Verify: After the Buffalo rebooted I made sure that it was running the factory defaults.

Step 4: - TFTP openwrt: I used openwrt as a mid step to get back to the original Buffalo firmware because it worked. Have not tested skipping this step. Get the Linksys tftp program ready, by selecting the openwrt file, the ip of the Buffalo (should be 192.168.1.1), 5 trys, enter your password and unplug the Buffalo. Hit "Upgrade", then quickly plug the Buffalo back in. This may take a couple times to get the power off and the upgrade at the right time. Once it says upgrade complete just sit tight for a time and let the unit reboot.

Step 5: - Same 'ol openwrt stuff: Just like the first time we are going to login by browser (ip may or may not have changed to 192.168.11.1). Click on a link and set the password to admin. Then use putty to login ssh and we are going to again erase the nvram. To clear the nvram type this:
Code:
mtd erase nvram
reboot

Then the unit will drop your ssh connection and reboot. Once again it has switched the lan and wan ports, so take your lan cable out of the lan port and put it in the wan port. After the unit has restarted, loginin with putty using ssh again. We need to fix the wan & lan by typing:
Code:
nvram set lan_ifname=br0
nvram set lan_ifnames="eth0 eth2"
nvram set wan_ifname=eth1
nvram commit
reboot

Step 6 - I want my MAC back! As you noticed the installation of dd-wrt changed all your MAC addresses. If you are like me, you may want your original Buffalo MAC's back. Here is how it works. The MAC's for your WAN & LAN were stored in the nvram, but the Wireless MAC is not, so it will still show up as the Buffalo original MAC in openwrt. So grab a pen and write down the MAC's off your Buffalo's housing on the back. Here is how the Buffalo stores it's info:
From openwrt's site wrote:

OpenWrt Documentation

Buffalo WBR-G54: eth0 = lan, eth1 = wan, eth2 = wifi

After the unit reboots plug the lan cable back into the lan port and login again using putty in ssh. We are going to put in our Buffalo MAC address for the Lan & Wan. NOTE: we don't use eth# but we use et#. If you want to know why go read... um that stuff I read late one night.
Code:

nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (use your mac)
nvram set et1macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (use your mac)
nvram commit
reboot

After the unit reboots we want to make sure that the MAC's are changed. Use your ssh program and login and type:
Code:

nvram show

Scroll up and look for your et0macaddr & et1macadder they should equal what you just changed them to.

Step 7 - Time for the original: Well once again we open Linksys tftp program, use admin for password, correct ip, and point it to the Buffalo firmware that you downloaded from AhMan's website. Unplug the Buffalo, hit upgrade, plug in the Buffalo quickly and watch it upgrade the firmware. Once it has done that wait a moment or two and then login in by browser. The ip will be 192.168.11.1. Go to upgrade firmware and install the Buffalo Tech firmware. After it has upgraded and restarted go to Save/Restore and restore the backup that you made of your WBR-G54 settings before we started this whole ordeal (you did make a backup right?).

Step 8 - Sit back and enjoy the fact that you have done something your grandfather would never understand!

Hope you enjoyed all this, now for my reason for doing this.

I installed dd-wrt but had some problems with it slowing at times and also the wan locking up my isp's stuff. So I wanted my original firmware back. I really like dd-wrt and will probably continue to try it as later builds come out. I have not tried AhMan's version yet, that may be my next step. I found his site when I was searching desperately for a way to get back to the factory original.

So Long from Beautiful Wyoming USA.
Sponsor
lukechris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
WOW WOW WOW Thanks SO much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: