Taking The Plunge In a few Days!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Xerran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51    Post subject: Taking The Plunge In a few Days! Reply with quote
Hello all, after researching as much as i can i have decided to take the plunge and just ordered two WHR-HP-G54's and plan to flash them both with DD-WRT.v23 SP2, use one as a router and the other as a wireless bridge for a second PC and an Xbox 360. I know i am gonna love having QoS for my Vonage adapter. Any of you guys or gals have a similar set up? I would love to here any feedback/tips etc.
Sponsor
kenknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Xerran,

I have several units setup along with the QoS on the edge router. Works like a champ.

One thing worth mentioning is that I started with simple MAC address QoS and it didn't seem to catch it correctly on occassions, so I went back and added the L7 and Port based QoS and all is well in the world.

Cheers!
Ken
Xerran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Coolness, i received both of the WHR-HP-G54's from Amazon today, i unpacked & flashed one with 0 problems and everything went perfect on my first try Smile I did a trick that someone mentioned in these forums. I plugged the power cable in first then waited until the network icon on my desktop switched from "network cable disconnected" then immediately hit enter to begin the tftp flash with dd-wrt.v23_micro_generic, once inside the DD-WRT http web interface i simply flashed again using dd-wrt.v23_generic and once done I held the reset button for 30 seconds then set 85% of my uplink and downlink in QoS settings, set my Vonage VTA under "MAC Priority - Premium" and BAM my Vonage call quality now kicks major ass, no drop in call quality even while doing speedtests or with the Mrs. playing WoW and i can hit the telephone flash button to switch back and fourth between callers with ease and no dropped calls. Xbox Live works with no issues at all, at first the Xbox Live network test was telling me my NAT was "moderate" so i assigned my Xbox 360 a static IP and enabled port forwarding then performed another test and BAM it says the NAT is "OPEN". I was scared of the Broadcom chip burning out so i set Xmit to the Wiki recommended setting of 10 mW. I have not even set up the other Buffalo as a bridge yet as the router works perfectly with the wife's (Lord knows i had to make sure of this before she came home) D-Link DWL-G520M Wireless MIMO Adapter. I am so pleased with the WHR-HP-G54 & DD-WRT. Thank you so much guys for all your help, much appreciated. I hope this thread will help out other fellow DD-WRT newbies out there. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: