[Fixed!] Bricked wndr3300, serial recovery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
appleguru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:51    Post subject: [Fixed!] Bricked wndr3300, serial recovery? Reply with quote
Tried to flash dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin over an old dd-wrt build on my WNDR3300, I think I bricked it.. .can't seem to get tftp working either... any advice?
WL1: 802.1X client mode, 9dbi directional panel antenna soldered to board (right antenna)

Last edited by appleguru on Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
appleguru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:
Tried to flash dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin over an old dd-wrt build on my WNDR3300, I think I bricked it.. .can't seem to get tftp working either... any advice?

...I should have read this first: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80420

...everything else I read seemed to indicate the 26 builds worked on the wndr3300 :-/

WL1: 802.1X client mode, 9dbi directional panel antenna soldered to board (right antenna)
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do not run the current K26 builds on a WNDR3300 it has a 4704 processor and it is NOT supported after 15314

You can run up to the current builds of the V24-NEWD though.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:57; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:

Things are really changing fast around here with the new router support. Adding support for new routers have eliminated support for others. Meaning, a router that used to run K26, may no longer because of the size of the flash, or the new drivers so that router needs to run older builds, or go back to K24 builds. I believe the 3300 is one of them but I may be mistaken.

In regards to fixing it, you should start a new thread so the build thread does not get side-tracked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:

Ok.. The mods split the thread so now we can start..

set a static ip on your rig: 192.168.1.x (x can be anything but 1), mask 255.255.255.0, gateway (not necessary but does not hurt) 192.168.1.1

Ping the router: ping 192.168.1.1 Do you get a responce with a ttl= ? if so, what is it.

if not, get a constant ping going: ping -t 192.168.1.1 and power cycle the router. during the power cycle as the router is booting (or crashing depending on how you look at it), do you get any responce with a ttl=xx in it?

If so, how many and what are they? If ttl=100, then you can tftp firmware, if not, then your only option is serial console to force the flash.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
BW...the problem with this router is that it doesn't start tftpd if it sees a valid kernel...even the wrong kernel. So you must start it manually using the tftpd command from the Serial Terminal.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
BW...the problem with this router is that it doesn't start tftpd if it sees a valid kernel...even the wrong kernel. So you must start it manually using the tftpd command from the Serial Terminal.

redhawk

Agreed.. I am / was hoping that it does not have a valid kernel cuz maybe the build was too big to flash. But if it did flash, and bricked with the firmware in place, indeed, serial would be the only way.

We need another all-nighter "nobody goes to bed till this router is fixed" project.. It has been a while. User Pock I believe.. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure its always worth a shot...but my most recent experience in bricking many 4704 and 4705/85 units has made me very skeptical that it will work. I've had to use Serial/JTAG to fix all my bricks lately with these newer K26 builds.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so, I repurposed my Arduino to work as a 3.3v USB --> Serial Adapter.

I used this guide here, using the hacked USB cable method: http://www.zoobab.com/use-the-arduino-as-a-serial-adaptor

I shorted Reset to GND, and tested in OS X's terminal using $screen /dev/tty.usbserial-A800eu06 9600

Connecting RX to TX on the Arduino confirms serial is working OK; terminal mirrors input.

I connected the arduino to the router's serial header that I soldered on. RX on the arduino --> TX on the router (and vice versa). Connected GND on router to GND on the Arduino, and VCC on the router to 3.3v on the arduino.

I'm not getting anything in my serial shell; been hitting ctrl-c for a while now! Help?

appleguru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, here's a shot of the setup

wndr3300_serial.jpg
 Description:
Bricked WNDR300 hooked to an arduino repurposed as a serial --> USB adapter
 Filesize:  218.26 KB
 Viewed:  20417 Time(s)

wndr3300_serial.jpg

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not at all familiar with your adapter. Is it indeed a TTL adapter (usb => ttl) or is it a usb to serial (rs232)?

It must be a ttl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there a specific baud rate/other settings I should use?

...my serial connection gets disconnected when I power off the router.

I installed minicom, which reconnects automatically. I currently have the baud rate set at 9600bps, with 8N1 set as stop bits and hardware flow control set to off.

Current methodology is to plug everything in, and fire up minicom, unplug router power, then plug it back in while holding down ctrl-c. So far, no dice getting a CFE> prompt...

appleguru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I am not at all familiar with your adapter. Is it indeed a TTL adapter (usb => ttl) or is it a usb to serial (rs232)?

It must be a ttl

It's an arduino, which amongst other things, has a built in FT232R (which I'm hijacking for this project). The FT232R is TTL, afaict.

Specsheet: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT232R.pdf

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:

I installed minicom, which reconnects automatically. I currently have the baud rate set at 9600bps, with 8N1 set as stop bits and hardware flow control set to off.

Current methodology is to plug everything in, and fire up minicom, unplug router power, then plug it back in while holding down ctrl-c. So far, no dice getting a CFE> prompt...

Bits per second = 115200
Data Bits = 8
Parity = none
Stop bits = 1
Flow control = none

I have never been sucessful just holding ctrl-c but I use hyperterminal.. You gotta start hammering ctrl-c when you power up the router.

You have less than 1 second from power up to stopping the boot. Maybe your adapter isn't coming up fast enough?? However, you should still see output even though you missed the window once you get your com params right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
appleguru wrote:

Bits per second = 115200
Data Bits = 8
Parity = none
Stop bits = 1
Flow control = none

I have never been sucessful just holding ctrl-c but I use hyperterminal.. You gotta start hammering ctrl-c when you power up the router.

You have less than 1 second from power up to stopping the boot. Maybe your adapter isn't coming up fast enough?? However, you should still see output even though you missed the window once you get your com params right.

Awesome!!! It seems to have worked!!!!

BTW, I had to hook up the RX on my arduino to the "RX" I marked on the WNDR3300 image above and the TX to the "TX" ....seems something got mixed up somewhere there..

Between that and baudrate, and I'm in... now lets see if TFTP works!

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: