wrt54g mystery ip since configuring as bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
saultmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 17:17    Post subject: wrt54g mystery ip since configuring as bridge Reply with quote
Hello

I am trying to configure my linksys as a wireless bridge, and have got to the point of configuring the router. The flash/install of dd-wrt went fine, configured a static ip as per the faq found on the dd-wrt site, all settings as listed, now with the pc hardwired to the router since the beginning I cannot get back to the wrt menu. It is not under the ip assigned to it, also wont respond to the typical router ips'. network configuration in vista shows an ip address of 169.254.112.133, not even close to my home ips'.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
your client bridge has not connected to the AP via wireless. Hence, your pc is not getting a dhcp ip from the main router via the client bridge.

set a static ip on you pc in the same subnet as the main router & client bridge.

you should then be able to access the client bridge.

typically, non connection issues (client bridge & AP) is caused by encryption.

turn off wireless encryption on both devices, get then connected, then turn encryption back on.

use wep or wpa2 personal+aes.
saultmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok got to the dd-wrt menu, was an ip conflict, changed settings as per faq again, restarted pc and router, back to square one. Nothing took, back to that dang 169.254.112.133 address again. Is this a default of some kind because its not anywhere close to the address pool here. Is there a faq out there in plain english that anyone has had success with?
saultmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
by encryption you mean the security?
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Encryption means wireless security type.

You should follow the wiki on linking routers, choosing the type of link you are after. It appears you are repeatedly changing the IP of the router to one that already exists on that subnet.

You might also read the networking for dummies (no offence) sticky linked in the "retired stickies" sticky at the start of this forum.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
saultmanca wrote:
by encryption you mean the security?

Yes..

also the 169.~ ip is a default ip your pc assigns itself when it can not get an ip from the dhcp server.

It can't get an ip cuz your client bridge is not connecting to the host ap. Reason as stated earlier is typically an encryption (wireless security) issue.

Or.. you have something set wrong.. gateway perhaps on the client bridge. The gateway should be the ip of the main router.

Is the wireless light blinking?? If so, it is not associated, connected to the ap. I'm talking about a steady blink.. not a solid light flickering with traffic.

No diff than the wireless nic in you laptop.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the wiki on making the wrt54g a repeater bridge, followed it to the letter *twice*, still the same result. Also followed the tips appended to the article regarding specifying a channel, etc. These boxes just will not talk to each other. The room I am working on them I have a laptop wired to the linksys, and desktop wired to the dlink 655. With this I can work on both routers at once. I want to use this linksys to connect my wdlive box to the network, as running a wire is not an option. If I cant get the laptop to connect theres no way the wd box will. I am not a novice at setting up networks by any means, so I am sure I have buggered up something simple, just dont know what.
saultmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been reading thru the stickies and announcements, appears 13064 is a stinker, for what i need to do what would be a GOOD build?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
lemme axe this question..

you say you have a wrt54g (no version) but I can assume it is one of the blue / grey boxes with the two antennas on the back.

what is the wireless light doing?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
saultmanca wrote:
Been reading thru the stickies and announcements, appears 13064 is a stinker, for what i need to do what would be a GOOD build?

KEEP reading....
saultmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
The linksys I am trying to turn into a client bridge is the wrt54g, v8. It currently has dd-wrt micro v24 build 13064. My main router is a dlink dir655. Back to the stickys.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
saultmanca wrote:
The linksys I am trying to turn into a client bridge is the wrt54g, v8. It currently has dd-wrt micro v24 build 13064. My main router is a dlink dir655. Back to the stickys.

gonna axe just once more..

what is the wlan light doing when configured but you are unable to connect???????????

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update, flashed up to 14311, double then triple then quadruple checked security settings and found key setting that was incorrect, changed it and a minute later the new mail gong went off. All is good, gonna hook it up downstairs and see what kind of run time it will give me. Thanks all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: