Linksys e1000v2 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Silly Wabbit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's great news that there's support for v2 now. I'm new to this DD-WRT world so I want to ask some questions and hopefully you guys can go easy on me please.

I currently have E1000 v2 and E3000 and both are on stock FW. My goal is to have the E1000 be a wireless bridge to extend the coverage a bit. I've been reading on how to flash the FW but I'm scared that I would brick them (not so much of the E1000 tho).

So here are my questions...
I know that before/after the flash, the router must need a 30/30/30 reset. I read the wiki about it but I just want to know if there is any way to confirm if I did the 30/30/30 reset correctly.
My next question is... Is it necessarily to also flash the E3000 in order to bridge the two?

Thanks!
Sponsor
deexii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the best fw to use on the e2000 v2? I am concidering all my options on my next router and notice that in the DB the only one is a K2.6. Is that my only option and best option?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
support for the E1000_V2 started at build 16758. Since, eko has compiled & posted 16773, and BS has posted 16785.

Soooo.. either 16758, or 16773, or 16785 are your choices and one of them will be the best. (stick with the initial build tested on the router (16758))

NOTE: PPPoE was not tested. auto (dhcp) for wan connection type was tested and passed the test.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going forward, will the e1000v2 bin be an initial-flash or must-use?
fnpony
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 15:35    Post subject: Re: Linksys e1000v2 now supported Reply with quote
First, I'd like to thank everybody who contributes to this sucess. I have used DD-WRT since 4 years ago with Linksys 54GT. Recently bought one E1000V2 and really happy to see this new achievement.

One simply quesiton: "simply update" means no "30/30/30" reset?

Thanks.

[quote="Eko"][b]Linksys e1000v2[/b] is now supported. Please use attached firmware for flashing. You can simply update from original firmware GUI. After flashing be sure to restore to factory defaults.

thx Barryware for testing and patience.

Feedback welcome![/quote]
[/u][/b]
mvram
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:46    Post subject: Re: Linksys e1000v2 now supported Reply with quote
fnpony wrote:
First, I'd like to thank everybody who contributes to this sucess. I have used DD-WRT since 4 years ago with Linksys 54GT. Recently bought one E1000V2 and really happy to see this new achievement.

One simply quesiton: "simply update" means no "30/30/30" reset?

Thanks.

Eko wrote:
Linksys e1000v2 is now supported. Please use attached firmware for flashing. You can simply update from original firmware GUI. After flashing be sure to restore to factory defaults.

thx Barryware for testing and patience.

Feedback welcome!

[/u][/b]

I'm no expert, but after upgrading two router, a WRT54G and a E1000 i can let you know that.

Yes you can just upgrade from the original GUI. As i write this I'm using my new E1000 V.2 with ddwrt on it, and everything seems to be working great.
bellwd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:55    Post subject: Linksys E-1000 V2 Reply with quote
I just bought a couple of E1000 for a brige connection. Now that i have it out of the box it is a E-1000 V2.1 Any chance of getting a tweeked version of the firmware for the V2.1?
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:36    Post subject: Re: Linksys E-1000 V2 Reply with quote
bellwd wrote:
I just bought a couple of E1000 for a brige connection. Now that i have it out of the box it is a E-1000 V2.1 Any chance of getting a tweeked version of the firmware for the V2.1?

Find it here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=138056
Lobotom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, thanks to you I'm enjoying my new DD-WRT'd E1000 v2.
Nevertheless I'm a lil disappointed since using openVPN is what drew me to DD-WRT in the first place, and even though I'm glad to own a DD-WRT'd router, I'd like precise info on wether I have a chance to flash a firmware that includes openVPN.

barryware wrote:
support for the E1000_V2 started at build 16758. Since, eko has compiled & posted 16773, and BS has posted 16785.

Soooo.. either 16758, or 16773, or 16785 are your choices and one of them will be the best. (stick with the initial build tested on the router (16758))

NOTE: PPPoE was not tested. auto (dhcp) for wan connection type was tested and passed the test.

I honestly must say you got me confused there, did you mean 16758, 16773 and 16785 are all good to go, or rather you meant it was a bald choice to not stick with the one FW mentioned on top of the thread?

Also I saw mentioned above the "small" versions. Am I taking a risk with these FW? Have them been tested?

The newcomer to DD-WRT that I am would appreciate any info/feedback.
bn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, all!
I'm new to DD-WRT, mostly because I never had a supported router.
I have an E1000V2 though, so I am very glad that it is supported now.
I am disappointed by the network speed, though, which forced me to revert back to the original firmware for now.
By testing on speedtest.net nearest server, with original cisco FW my download speed was ~92Mbps, and upload ~74Mbps, with ping of 4-7ms. With DD-WRT download was 65.09Mbps (tested multiple times and it was always this precise number, so I guess that is what it is maxing out at), and upload ~40Mbps, with ping of 10-12ms. I must say that this is quite a big performance hit.
This was done on DD-WRT build 16758 (the one posted by the thread author) with nearly all the settings left at default (only thing I changed was disable telnet, enable sshd and set the WAN static IP settings). Needless to say, the only things connected to the router were one PC and the WAN cable. Does anyone have any suggestions to increase the networking speed? Maybe something that could be disabled? (I only need a few specific things from DD-WRT, but I would like to get rid of the speed issue before that).
I also tried to search the forums, but didn't really find anything that could help me..

So, thank you in advance Smile
Lobotom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi bn,

indeed it is a big performance hit, even though 60/40 is enough to make many drool in envy. Very Happy

I don't know if it's the case for you as it is for me, but my DD-WRT router is positioned as a secondary router.
(the wild < ISP modem/router < 192.168.0.x < DD-WRT < 192.168.1.x)
if so DD-WRT gurus advice to set the piece to "router" mode rather than "gateway", the main difference being "router" mode doesn't perform NAT translation. (Set in Setup tab, Advanced Routing sub-tab).
It's just an idea but it feels NAT is 'not native' extra work for a router and possibly affects performance.

Off different motivation I tried the "router" mode myself yesterday, but being the thick noob that I am, I failed to set routing properly (or was too lazy to set my primary router to route 192.168.1.x properly or something) so I can't compare my results here. *shame*
Lobotom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, about PPTP VPN, which is my forced choice since I can't run OpenVPN client:
spent several hours trying to connect to a VPN service provider... And I simply couldn't get it to work. The best I could achieve was to have the router (from Putty) ping the PPTP server (not even sure the ping went through the VPN or outside of it though).

My question on this is essentially an update on a one-year-old discussion: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=451383 ends up with Vibranto turning green against Buffalo (which I can understand) and leaves me with the conclusion that PPTP shouldn't be expected to work. Can anybody let me know if the technicalities of this past discussion are still current nowadays ?

I've tried my eyes at the wiki pages about PPTP clients and running scripts and stuff, but hey, this is way over my head (as of yet Wink.

Course of action:
1. give a try at PPTP with E1000's native FW, just for fun
2. flash up an openvpn_small.bin FW and see if the E1000 gets bloated up and/or mis-functions.
3. Let ya know if I'm in the grassy meadows of OpenVPN or mourning my E1000.

PS: I prolly should have tested further the bandwidth question for feedback to bn, but, well sorry not on my list right now.
xsever
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:19    Post subject: Bandwidth Reply with quote
Any update in the horizon to fix the speed hit?

I am used to DD-WRT offering a performance boost.

Thanks,
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 17:09    Post subject: Re: Bandwidth Reply with quote
xsever wrote:
Any update in the horizon to fix the speed hit?

I am used to DD-WRT offering a performance boost.

Thanks,

No, DD-WRT enables things that require more processing than stock firmware does. The main thing for WAN performance is that it uses a different method of NAT that is required for many features that DD-WRT offers, so it can not use the simple/fast method that stock firmware does.

If you want better throughput then you need a faster CPU. It may be possible to OC the BCM5357 CPU to ~500MHz but it has not been tested thoroughly, and when you OC too far it is very difficult to recover.

xsever
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I am going to do some benchmarks this afternoon and report back with long range and short range results both for wired and wireless cases.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: