Brick or not? WRT54G odd problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
leetpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Brick or not? WRT54G odd problem Reply with quote
I had successfully installed ddwrt about 2 months ago. I was trying to download a couple large files from rapidshare, and needed a new IP so I didn't need to wait 20 minutes between downloads. I'm pretty impatient, so I just pulled the power on my WRT54G V 6.0 to get a new IP address. (bad idea, don't do it) This worked the first time, but the second time after I plugged it in, the "A network cable has been unplugged" (WinXP) balloon wouldn't go away, even after the router had booted completely. The power light stays on, WLAN actually blinks twice rapidly about once every second, and the 1, 2, 3, 4 and internet lights stay solid. I've searched around, and I found a lot of articles that tell me to hold the reset button while plugging the cord, and waiting anywhere between 1 second and 20 seconds. I've tried it all, and nothing worked. One thing I've never seen mentioned though, is if the "network cable has been unplugged" message is normally displayed...most articles mention trying to ping the router after setting your own manual IP to 192.168.1.2. Of course I tried this, also while it was booting up, but it sort of seemed pointless unless the computer realized there was a link between it and the router, which apparently there wasn't.

What I need to know, that I couldn't find elsewhere, is if that balloon saying there is a network cable unplugged is normal behavior...from the outside, it almost looks like the router could be functioning normally, but with no connection to the computer.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, once after doing a hard reboot (holding the power button while plugging it back in) I actually did get more than nothing, it looked sort of like the main page of ddrwt after navigating to 192.168.1.1, except skimmed down to nothing. The background was white, there were no pictures or colours, and text in a few random places on the screen, and from what I could see they looked like the browser was trying to load the main page, but then it stopped and hitting retry just got more of nothing. No more resets after that helped either.

The only method I haven't tried is THIS one, shorting the flash chip. I'm not sure if that would help, anyone know of anything else I could try before taking that final step?
Sponsor
NS000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
have you do the following:

1.) set your local computer IP to 192.168.1.2 DNS: 192.168.1.1
2.) go to command prompt type "type 192.168.1.1 -t" (leave i alone)
3.) unplug router and look at the prompt shows "destination not avaliable"
4.) plug power back
5.) check for responding pings (should only be only a few packets before it stops responding.

if it doesn't work then the router is screwed, but if it respond try to tftp it again. You might have screwed the firmware by accident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: