Buffalo WHR-G300N V1 is bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
bluppo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:17    Post subject: Buffalo WHR-G300N V1 is bricked Reply with quote
Hi!
I have occasionally bricked my router after flashing dd-wrt firmvare Sad

- the red DIAG light blinks twice every 2 seconds while POWER light is on.

I CAN flash again dd-wrt firmware via tftp32 ( flashed many times ) - this is not a problem - but it do not help.
Probably i have CRC-Error of eeprom or something like..

Is it bricked forever ?

Thanks for advice.
Sponsor
iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are positive that you can flash your firmware correctly, then make sure you have flashed it right just once and then "insist" on pressing the reset button and power+reset until it finally manages to get back to work (the reset is to clear the nvram region, which is where your problem may be at).
I once had a scare like that too, but I was lucky enough to be able to get it back to work by insisting on the reset button.

If you do not achieve any result, you will probably have to move on to the serial method in order to fix the router. Although it requires soldering the serial header, the chances of success in recovering that router are very very high. (Most of current Ralink SoCs feature a built-in monitor ROM just for that, so it is virtually impossible to brick a board with a bad flash.)
bluppo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
iVitor wrote:
If you are positive that you can flash your firmware correctly, then make sure you have flashed it right just once and then "insist" on pressing the reset button and power+reset until it finally manages to get back to work (the reset is to clear the nvram region, which is where your problem may be at).

Do you speak about hard reset ( 30/30/30 ) ? I did it too ,but i have not seen changes in illumination of the diodes while holding reset button.Still double flashing of RedDiag.

For the console method i need a converter that I do not have.

Thanks for the reply.
iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, from my experience the 30/30/30 method somehow doesn't work exactly as described in this router. It's the same concept, you will be trying to clear the nvram, but it is kind of a hit and miss process.
(I remember that in a very old build of dd-wrt, one of the firsts for this router, I attempted to do the 30/30/30 reset on a fully working router like yours and it went into a brick-state because of it. I was able to recover it by pushing reset over and over again until it worked, but from there after I just stayed with the "Reset to factory defaults" available in the interface.)

If you can solder the serial header to the board, and given the small cost of the cable required to do that, I would say to save the hassle and recover it through serial.

If you are feeling lucky, its a matter of making combinations of pulling/inserting the power cord and how long you press that reset button.
But this can only work if your router has a problem in the nvram region, not anything else.
bluppo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
iVitor wrote:

If you can solder the serial header to the board, and given the small cost of the cable required to do that, I would say to save the hassle and recover it through serial.

Yes, I give up Smile. I want to try the console, it seems this is what I need? The cheapest I could find - looks not so good.
Voltage 3.3 V and driver available.
dg9ekc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

go to www.buffalotech.com

go to Support|Downloads , download the 1.64 Version Zip File , extract the whrg300n-164 file and tftp it.

bluppo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
dg9ekc

Flashed stock 1.64 too, tftp2 wrote that everything is OK, but the router does not show that there is a process. Diag just stupidly continues to blink twice as if nothing was happening. Probably it is.

But when i flashing dd-wrt, then Diag blinks every second - the process goes and after flash router going to restart but then hangs with a double blink.

P.S. I always rename the file to firmware.ram.
Right?

Thanks for reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: