How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? SOLVED!!! - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
On many routers you must run mini, not std, in order to use JFFS. That's because std uses all of the flash memory in a 4MB-flash router so there's not enough left for JFFS. See my detailed instructions, downloadable on page 94 of this thread as part of a ZIP that contains other pertinent stuff. Use the script you've got, not the one in the ZIP; yours is later.
Netgear WNR834Bv2 DD-WRT build 14896 mini with AutoAP -- also cool.
Linksys WTR54GSv1 DD-WRT build 14311 std (Client bridge for Ooma voip phone)
Linksys WAP54Gv2 DD-WRT build 14896 micro -- haven't figured out a use for it.
Sponsor
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
your a star, I definitely owe you a drink!

all went smoothly with your instructions and it's all falling into place. The mini build is faster too ... when selecting the build I presumed mini would mean less, but that doesn't appear to be!

The AutoAP now of course runs straight away (before I even get there to check it) and nvram variables are persisting. However when running commands it does seem to say nvram is locked and to wait, but the commands are then applied after a reboot so presumably im just not patient enough Smile

However I also tried it with pings again disabled and it just continued cycling through the AP's even though my Skype was signing in & out so clearly I was getting connected but the scripts not realising ... I'm assuming there isn't any reason it would try and check them all before picking one?

Would you happen to know the best way for me to go about working on this script? I just need to know how to run it and see some debug/error output and presumably a master reset would undo everything should I do anything extra stupid.
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, now there you have me. In trying to read & understand the script itself I reach the limits of my knowledge, not understanding it at all. Alas. And I know no way to attempt a trace or debug.
Netgear WNR834Bv2 DD-WRT build 14896 mini with AutoAP -- also cool.
Linksys WTR54GSv1 DD-WRT build 14311 std (Client bridge for Ooma voip phone)
Linksys WAP54Gv2 DD-WRT build 14896 micro -- haven't figured out a use for it.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe well when I said it all started to come together I wasn't kidding ... almost got my head around the syntax and running it is just via ssh/telnet exactly like your instructions ... so for now ive created another .sh file which im writing my own little test scripts and then run it via ssh just like you would the autoap.sh in the startup section of dd-wrt ... /jssr/autoap.sh &

I'm still convinced there's something not quite right with that script, but I seem to be hitting some deeper network related problem .... I've just spent hours not being able to get online either wtih AutoAP or manually through site survey ... on further investigation of this I have found that I was able to access parts of the captive portal. The portal service is split across two separate domains names, btopenworld.com:8443 the core part and btfon.com which I believe mainly provides auth data. So, I find I can browse btfon.com and do the login, but the login doesn't work properly and I'm unable to access the main btopenworld pages ... ok I figured it must be down!

BUT ... then i disable the network card I have linked to the repeater and enable a crappy USB wifi dongle, connect to any of the gateways and it all works perfectly with the exception of the dongle not being able to maintain a signal for long .... but it proves the service is not actually down.

This leads me to believe it's the router that's at fault so I've tried changing the MAC by cloning the PC, tried clearing arp tables on router and pc, factory reset on the router ... still no difference.

Which now means I'm completely lost and since this seems to happen daily its going to be a bit of a show-stopper Sad
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
right after much head scratching, resets and re-flashing I've found my problem is actually DNS

not entirely sure but it seems the router isn't resolving DNS requests to the connected WAN ... have tried playing with all the various settings, DNSmasq, DHCP, setting gateway/dns to the router ip, setting dns to the wan dns ... just doesn't seem to resolve. Only thing that's worked so far was adding the WAN dns to the network interface on the PC which isn't ideal, but the DNS server IP should remain the same between hubs anyway.

have you come across anything similar before?

Incidentally after getting it working again I have removed the WAN DNS ip from the PC interface and the router settings and its continued to work, but I suspect that's more to do with caching.

I'll keep digging and about to try some tests directly from the router via ssh, but if you do have any suggestions!
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also now playing around with AutoAP

first tagbak, how are you logging onto the BT-Openxone/BT-fon 'splash' screens to enter your details ??

secondly, how do you manually install the autoAP.cgi/exe ? ive been installing via a samba share using autoap_090711.sh file. but it seems you must have to actually embed the .cgi into firmware ?? is there away to transfer it, as the only firmware i can find it embedded are old builds ...

shame its not more integral into the dd-wrt system !
something like whats been discussed here a number of times
nn5i wrote:
TinCanWaveguide wrote:
... an idea I have had in mind for a long time is finally [plausible] enough to ask: is it possible to connect to ALL the good AP's [simultaneously], and aggregate all their collective bandwidth together?

Theoretically possible if you modified both the DD-WRT firmware and the AutoAP script very extensively. But anyone who had the skills and knowledge to do that would not be asking the question, I guess.
Alas, it seems infeasible.

ive been mainly trying to get it log onto my phones 3G hotspot app., but if it could log onto a number of them would be awsome where we have our LAN partys Smile
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
well just for a update and another plee for help !!!

for getting the GUI goin i have it all ON the router
(a LinkSYS WRT320N DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896 )
i got it all installed and loading at startup first creating a SAMBA(cifs) share, and copying it over from there... this is how

# so for INSTALLING
mount.cifs //192.168.1.140/inbox /tmp/smbshare
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap.cgi /jffs/autoap.cgi
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap.exe /jffs/autoap.exe
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap_090711.sh /jffs/autoap.sh
chmod 777 +x /jffs/autoap.sh
nvram set autoap_path='/jffs/autoap.sh'
nvram commit

# my STARTUP SCRIPT
mkdir /tmp/www/cgi-bin
cp /jffs/autoap.cgi /tmp/www/cgi-bin
cp /jffs/autoap.exe /tmp/www/cgi-bin
chmod 777 +x /tmp/www/cgi-bin/autoap.cgi
chmod 777 +x /tmp/www/cgi-bin/autoap.exe
/jffs/autoap.sh &

Now autoAP fires up fine, but i cannot acces the GUI by going to http://192.168.1.1/user/cgi-bin/autoap.cgi (with my correct IP)

and also even if i set up my own completely OPEN AP (which my phone can use fine) all i get is
00:53:47 Trying to connect to open AP: "gadget78" with MAC Address: 00:09:5B:B1:xx:xx
00:54:05 Failed to ping: "gadget78" Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Received IP Address: 0.0.0.0

and then after 5, ignores it .....
ANY ideas on either problem would be good Smile or on my previuos post too !!!!

Last edited by gadget78 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 21:21; edited 2 times in total
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You seem to be on the right track, to be honest I eventually figured out hacking the script as well and ultimately it really just doesn't seem to work ... i resorted to using .NET and talking to the router using SSH, I had much more success with this but haven't yet managed to get it even remotely stable and kept running into issues that are either the AP's falling over or possibly some kind of network / routing issue.

I also struggle to get DD-WRT to forcefully choose a channel, no matter what I have tried it seems to always scan for the strongest one ... not really looked into it, whether that's an error with my understanding of how it works or im not doing it right i couldnt tell you.

Ive also had some brief attempts at screen scrapping to do the auto login on the captive portal, but that will take a bit more work as I couldn't quite figure it out yet.

For now I have found just leaving it connected without AutoAP and logging in whenever the session expires is working out more reliable with longer connected periods.

The other thing I have also gone for is 'client' mode as opposed to repeater, then just add an EoIP tunnel for each gateway that I connect to so to bridge the network. I think its more stable and it definitely squeezed more out of the connection since repeater reduced performance by 50% i believe.

if i get anything worth while on the script side of things I will share it.
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
were you able to get the GUI going ??
ive read on some posts that the newer build of dd-wrt somehow stops it running ? so im presuming thats the prob i have ?

Yeah i HAVE now actually got it to connect even to my 3G phone, but will ONLY connect to AP's after a power cycle.

which is the same as you, it isnt because of AutoAP just that AutoAP sets it up first etc
Also proved by the fact that it JUST WONT change AP's Sad which is the whole point of the script !
again im sure its due to the newer builds of dd-wrt and AutoAP is now old really!

Is there a way of manually logging onto BT openZone ? or does that work ok when in repeater mode (not near BTopenzone here at home !)

cool will test out using an EoIP tunnel for each gateway etc ..

Be Great to get Auto AP just working as it should with GUI!
(of course Be even better to get it as 'part' of the firmware for the future, in place of site survey or summit)
And then just manually log into captive portals etc

Of course anything you can fix will be great Smile

also im pretty sure its coded to connect to stongest signal, there is a setting to order it differently. not sure if that affects the connecting preference too ?
nvram set autoap_preforder=0
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
another post i know, but i just dont see why this is not more integrated into firmware with site survey ??
or just expanded to the client sections ??

anyhows it seems i have now maybe found the problem?
it does NOT seem to be selecting the right channel on which the AP's are on ?
althou AutoAP is switching over the SSID etc its not selecting the correct channel that its on ...
(but will swop over on power cycle sometimes, althou it wont connect for me !)

switching to AP mode, the 'Auto' channel selection is selected so thats not the problem by the way.
so maybe what ever is controlling channel selection, could be the problem thats causng it not to retry the channels etc when swopping AP's???

Plus it seems mine now even after powercycling will not connect, just wont log onto any AP's now Sad even after re-flashed !
tried with and without AutoAP enabled too

when autoAP is ebabled just get the
00:53:47 Trying to connect to open AP: "gadget78" with MAC Address: 00:09:5B:B1:xx:xx
00:54:05 Failed to ping: "gadget78" Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Received IP Address: 0.0.0.0
why is it even trying to ping that gateway when its not even attempted to connect !!!

what build version / router are you using tagbak ???
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
biomecanoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to run AutoAP on my AP for a while now can you point me to a guide to make it run on the micro version of dd-wrt, is that even possible ?

I am running dd-wrt on a netgear wg602

Thanks
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone here know how to turn off the repeater so that autoap still works but you can only connect thru the wire?

thanks
ghz24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20    Post subject: repeater vs client Reply with quote
Quote:
anyone here know how to turn off the repeater so that autoap still works but you can only connect thru the wire?
on the top set of tabs pick wireless or type in http://###.###.###.###/Wireless_Basic.asp changing the #'s to your gateway address then where it says repeater use the drop down menu to change it to client then at the bottom hit apply settings.
You may need to "remove" the virtual ssid at the bottom of the page before changing to client but you shouldn't have to.
ghz24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
biomecanoid wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to run AutoAP on my AP for a while now can you point me to a guide to make it run on the micro version of dd-wrt, is that even possible ?

I am running dd-wrt on a netgear wg602

Thanks

Micro is to small to hold the script locally you can try the "Dynamically Download" instructions here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap#NVRAM_Variables
I've tried this and it works for a while then the router freezes and needs power cycled to recover.(maybe you'll have better luck) There is a built in firmware on sourceforge but I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work right.(and it's very old) The only method I suggest is the jffs technique. (which requires 4 meg of flash)
It is rock solid (at least on a wrt54g GL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 98 of 101
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: