How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
set to 120.

ill capture the logs next time it happens ... I guess it could be autoap_dhcpw might need to be higher (currently default at 15).
Sponsor
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
by endless loop of switching I meant .... it would join an channel .. i could see it get the SSID and IP in the web interface, plus trying to browse I was hitting the splash page ... but regardless AutoAP just kept trying another channel.
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you have misspelled watchinet=0? I did that once and was confused for a time.
Netgear WNR834Bv2 DD-WRT build 14896 mini with AutoAP -- also cool.
Linksys WTR54GSv1 DD-WRT build 14311 std (Client bridge for Ooma voip phone)
Linksys WAP54Gv2 DD-WRT build 14896 micro -- haven't figured out a use for it.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope got the t-shirt, it just ignores the setting I believe!

Startup script (essentially just default):

nvram set wl_ssid=""
nvram set autoap_watchinet=1
nvram set autoap_scanfreq="60"
nvram set autoap_rescandelay="120"
`cd /tmp; until [ 2 = 1 ];do /bin/sleep 30;
/usr/bin/wget -Oautoap.sh http://downloads.sourceforge.net/autoap/autoap_090711.sh;
chmod 777 ./autoap.sh;./autoap.sh;done` &

The cycling problem also just happened to me, for example the MAC ending in E4 in '2.htm' I know was working ... I waited and waited but it didn't pick it up so I had to go through the process of clearing the startup, rebooting etc.

AutoAP example logs:
http://www.jamie-lewis.co.uk/autoap/1.htm
http://www.jamie-lewis.co.uk/autoap/2.htm
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see any nvram commit in there.

Also you don't need to do the nvram commands every startup -- they persist.

nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your AutoAP.sh is newer than the one I've been using! I didn't know there was a newer one. I've downloaded the newer one and will try it out.

One of your commands sets autoap_scanfreq. I see no reference to that in either version of the script. Did you really mean autoap_checkfreq?

tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are right on the scanfreq should of been check, I have changed that and added the commit.

Still hasn't made much difference though. I can fairly confidently say the main problem is with aap_checkjoin() method as with the ping check disabled it never managed to identify a gateway as usable .... even despite the fact it would had to of been online to download the script in the first place! Which then also accounts for why it works with pings enabled, but only once I have managed to log into a captive portal first, then it will go round all the SSID's until it gets back to the one I managed to log into ... very frustrating!

I also tried moving not setting variables on the startup, but it seems to me their not persistent due to the fact the script is downloaded fresh each time?

also I tried changing the download URL to a local machine with IIS so that I could serve up my own file primarily to edit it, but also so I didn't need to get the gateway online to get the script in the first place ... but it just never runs that way Sad

I'm probably missing something fundamental or maybe the older script version works better. Either way it's driven me nuts and I can't get my head around the syntax on top of that ... possibly time to give up I think!
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giving up is no fun. I run mine in JFFS (see my instructions on about Page 91 of this thread)instead of downloading it each time, and haven't encountered any problems.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I get told jffs is a read only file system and looking through the control panel I cant find any real mention of jffs apart from under a DHCP setting where it says not mounted.

presumably I have the wrong firmware ... Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std?
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
On many routers you must run mini, not std, in order to use JFFS. That's because std uses all of the flash memory in a 4MB-flash router so there's not enough left for JFFS. See my detailed instructions, downloadable on page 94 of this thread as part of a ZIP that contains other pertinent stuff. Use the script you've got, not the one in the ZIP; yours is later.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
your a star, I definitely owe you a drink!

all went smoothly with your instructions and it's all falling into place. The mini build is faster too ... when selecting the build I presumed mini would mean less, but that doesn't appear to be!

The AutoAP now of course runs straight away (before I even get there to check it) and nvram variables are persisting. However when running commands it does seem to say nvram is locked and to wait, but the commands are then applied after a reboot so presumably im just not patient enough Smile

However I also tried it with pings again disabled and it just continued cycling through the AP's even though my Skype was signing in & out so clearly I was getting connected but the scripts not realising ... I'm assuming there isn't any reason it would try and check them all before picking one?

Would you happen to know the best way for me to go about working on this script? I just need to know how to run it and see some debug/error output and presumably a master reset would undo everything should I do anything extra stupid.
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, now there you have me. In trying to read & understand the script itself I reach the limits of my knowledge, not understanding it at all. Alas. And I know no way to attempt a trace or debug.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe well when I said it all started to come together I wasn't kidding ... almost got my head around the syntax and running it is just via ssh/telnet exactly like your instructions ... so for now ive created another .sh file which im writing my own little test scripts and then run it via ssh just like you would the autoap.sh in the startup section of dd-wrt ... /jssr/autoap.sh &

I'm still convinced there's something not quite right with that script, but I seem to be hitting some deeper network related problem .... I've just spent hours not being able to get online either wtih AutoAP or manually through site survey ... on further investigation of this I have found that I was able to access parts of the captive portal. The portal service is split across two separate domains names, btopenworld.com:8443 the core part and btfon.com which I believe mainly provides auth data. So, I find I can browse btfon.com and do the login, but the login doesn't work properly and I'm unable to access the main btopenworld pages ... ok I figured it must be down!

BUT ... then i disable the network card I have linked to the repeater and enable a crappy USB wifi dongle, connect to any of the gateways and it all works perfectly with the exception of the dongle not being able to maintain a signal for long .... but it proves the service is not actually down.

This leads me to believe it's the router that's at fault so I've tried changing the MAC by cloning the PC, tried clearing arp tables on router and pc, factory reset on the router ... still no difference.

Which now means I'm completely lost and since this seems to happen daily its going to be a bit of a show-stopper Sad
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
right after much head scratching, resets and re-flashing I've found my problem is actually DNS

not entirely sure but it seems the router isn't resolving DNS requests to the connected WAN ... have tried playing with all the various settings, DNSmasq, DHCP, setting gateway/dns to the router ip, setting dns to the wan dns ... just doesn't seem to resolve. Only thing that's worked so far was adding the WAN dns to the network interface on the PC which isn't ideal, but the DNS server IP should remain the same between hubs anyway.

have you come across anything similar before?

Incidentally after getting it working again I have removed the WAN DNS ip from the PC interface and the router settings and its continued to work, but I suspect that's more to do with caching.

I'll keep digging and about to try some tests directly from the router via ssh, but if you do have any suggestions!
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also now playing around with AutoAP

first tagbak, how are you logging onto the BT-Openxone/BT-fon 'splash' screens to enter your details ??

secondly, how do you manually install the autoAP.cgi/exe ? ive been installing via a samba share using autoap_090711.sh file. but it seems you must have to actually embed the .cgi into firmware ?? is there away to transfer it, as the only firmware i can find it embedded are old builds ...

shame its not more integral into the dd-wrt system !
something like whats been discussed here a number of times
nn5i wrote:
TinCanWaveguide wrote:
... an idea I have had in mind for a long time is finally [plausible] enough to ask: is it possible to connect to ALL the good AP's [simultaneously], and aggregate all their collective bandwidth together?

Theoretically possible if you modified both the DD-WRT firmware and the AutoAP script very extensively. But anyone who had the skills and knowledge to do that would not be asking the question, I guess.
Alas, it seems infeasible.

ive been mainly trying to get it log onto my phones 3G hotspot app., but if it could log onto a number of them would be awsome where we have our LAN partys Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 90 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: