WHR-G300N Repeater Bridge works but no internet access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Rolla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had this exact same problem running even the latest build of SP2 (17084)

I connected wireshark to both sides of the repeater bridge and listened to what was going on. It turns out every device on the RP is trying to ARP for the gateway (10.0.0.1) on my network. The gateway will assign an IP address and then it sits there. Eventually the gateway will arp for the MAC address of the connected client and the internet starts working on the client. Until that ARP arrives from the gateway the computer is without internet.

Typically, a router will not forward ARP requests so this behavior would be expected. However, SP2 is supposed to have an ARP mac address translation system that gets around this barrier.

From the RP to the gateway all ARP requests are unanswered and never translated to the gateway side.

From the gateway to the RP all ARP requests are translated perfectly.

My conclusion from this is the ARP mac address translation function is broken even in the current build. My solution? use static DHCP entries (which also creates static ARP entries). This seems to give each computer internet access right away and the connection is maintained.
Sponsor
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: