WRT54G (4) Bricked? (Flashing power light, no DHCP or WLAN)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Dustybrainbox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04    Post subject: WRT54G (4) Bricked? (Flashing power light, no DHCP or WLAN) Reply with quote
First of all, I hope this hasn't already been covered. I read the announcements, the wiki, and did several searches, but I was unable to find anything that dealt with this specific issue.

I'm not at all well versed in routers or networking, but I'll do my best to describe the situation, and the solutions I've tried so far. I do appreciate your time, so I'm hoping to avoid anyone having to ask me questions just to figure out what's happening.

Model: WRTG54G ver. 4
Firmware: Factory

Summary: I was trying to link the WRTG54G to a BEFSR41v4, the 41 was to be the primary router, and the 54g was going to be the secondary. I disabled DHCP on the 54g, and changed its default ip address to 192.168.1.12 (in an attempt to avoid conflict.)
I plugged the modem into the 41, and connected port 1 to port 1 on the 54g. It worked! I was able to connect to my wireless network, everything was groovy.

At that point, I had everything in the same room, because it was so much easier to reset, connect, check, etc. But since it was working, I took the 54G into the room where I wanted it, hooked it up (port 1 to port 1). No WLAN. I was able to get internet through it when hooked up via Ethernet, but no WLAN, and I wasn't able to connect to it through the IP address I'd assigned.

After messing around with it for a while in vain, I figured I had messed up somewhere, and needed to do a factory reset. It seemingly will not reset. (I've tried the 30-30-30 reset several times.) I would just go ahead and assume that it's bricked, but I can still get internet through it so I don't know for sure. I've tried pinging it, but neither the IP address I (think I) assigned, or the default address respond.

Weirder still, sometimes, if I plug it directly into the modem, it will broadcast WLAN again. But the moment I unplug it, or switch it around, it won't come back, even if I again plug it directly into the modem. I have no clue what's going on here, and it's driving me crazy.

Again, I appreciate your time, hopefully this is a valid post, and hopefully I've provided enough information. My biggest problem is that I can't get it to factory reset. If I could do that, I'd be in good shape.
And I know this isn't a DD-wrt question in the sense that I don't have it flashed, but I've heard you guys know these routers inside and out. And the Linksys forums are just awful.

Thanks again for your time.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
if your router does not respond.. you may have to resort to serial or jtag.. Check out the peacock announcement near the top of the forum.. Note 6 I believe.. Same rules apply whether stock firmware or dd-wrt in regards to determining what state your router is in.

Navigation

Jump to: