Rosewill RNX-Easy4N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 17:58    Post subject: Lan Port LEDs not Working Reply with quote
I have an Engenius ESR-9753 and a Rosewill RNX-EasyN4 that I have installed DD-WRT on and since then on both units the LAN LEDs do not work. All four LAN ports work fine but no LED activity.

The Wireless and Power LEDs work as expected but the WAN LED is always on.

I have both units setup as a Repeater Bridge.

Last edited by chateau on Mon Aug 30, 2010 21:34; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
PatrickH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, yeah, all ports works fine here too.

Thank you for the information =)
minnesnowta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the instructions posted by mshneour on page 3 and successfully flashed my easy4n with ddwrt this weekend. Just posting as a thanks and to encourage anyone else on the fence about doing this to go!

So thanks to all on here giving such helpful info (including netmind for the tip on the cheap ca42 cable on ebay - got mine for $4 shipped).
jm77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to attempt flashing the following firmware to my RNX-EasyN4:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F

I have a standard serial port block and USB/serial adapter, wired as follows --

http://i.imgur.com/KPZZf.jpg

Standard Serial block:

Pin 2, brown RX
Pin 3, blue TX
Pin 5, block GND

RNX-EasyN4 (from top to bottom; or right-to-left in the board image below)

* Point 1
* Point 2
* RX point (to blue wire from serial)
* TX point (to brown wire from serial)
* GND point (to black wire from serial)
* PWR point

Trendnet TU-S9 USB to Serial adapter, COM5, 8N1, 57600, no flow control
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TU-S9&cat=49

The board itself:
http://i.imgur.com/SDU1m.jpg

Can anyone confirm whether this all looks fine? I've seen references to a TTL cable, and I'm not certain whether my setup will suffice.

Any assistance is appreciated. Currently, all I'm seeing is random garbage under PuTTY.

Linksys WRT610N v1, dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega (retired)
Netgear R6700 (current) - ???

Last edited by jm77 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 19:46; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
jm77 wrote:
Currently, all I'm seeing is random garbage under PuTTY.

That is because you are using a USB to RS-232 serial adapter.
The serial signal levels in the router are not RS-232 levels, they are 3.3V TTL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by jm77 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:38; edited 2 times in total
jm77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success!

Rosewill RNX-EasyN4, v.1.1.1 (http://i.imgur.com/fvKjm.jpg)

After doing some research, I purchased the following Nokia CA-42 data cable here: http://amzn.to/o2mtG2 (detected as a Prolific PL-2303 USB-Serial). The cable was obviously generic; I ended up tracking down a working driver here: http://edvoncken.net/2010/08/pl-2303-usb-to-serial-driver/

The cable above is a simple USB TTL 3.3v cable, and appears to be a crowd favorite among Arduino and other dev communities.

The wiring scheme was: blue GND, green to TX, white to RX

I connected via puTTY (57600,8N1), powered the router and got a proper boot sequence.

I then configured TFTPD32 http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ with the proper path and an IP address (as described in previous posts)

Downloaded latest firmware here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/Senao-ESR9752SC/firmware.bin

Booted the router and hit 2 immediately to load firmware.

Followed the prompts, and after a few minutes, hit Enter and voila! Done!

Boot process: http://pastebin.com/6NFdJ0fs

Linksys WRT610N v1, dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega (retired)
Netgear R6700 (current) - ???
Trinariest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 19:27    Post subject: Another Success! Reply with quote
Also used a CA-42 from a popular auction site for $3.50 shipped.

Other than a couple comments below, not much to add other than thanks for everybodys help...could not have done it without you.

The 30/30/30 reset would not work but signing in and selecting "factory defaults" does, but if you can't connect (ie forgot ip), you could get hosed. The reset button was enabled in the setup.

Another issue I came across was after changing the username and password, I could not sign in on the serial console.

I was positive I was supplying the correct ones so started trying different combinations and found that the username does not change in the serial console but the password does.

The username remains at "root". I did not search on this topic in these forums so it may have already been mentioned.

Mike
kajeremy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 22:07    Post subject: Missing menu items Reply with quote
Hey everybody! Following all the great advice here I've gotten everything ready to upgrade to dd-wrt, but when I putty in, I only get option 1) Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.
None of the other options are listed that you guys are getting, so when I press "2" it does nothing. I was running the latest firmware (1.1.1.47). I tried the all the other versions that are listed on Rosewills website (1.1.0.39, 1.0.6.21, and 1.0.8.22) Any suggestions on what else I can try? Is there something I need to do to enable those choices?
Thanks!
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I only get option 1) Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.

My experience was Option 2 is actually there it simply doesn't display for some reason.

I had to reboot several times and press 2 repeatedly to finally get the prompt to upload firmware.

You may try putting a 4 port switch (or whatever) between your Windows ethernet port and the router LAN port. This prevents Windows from loosing connection on the Ethernet port. Seems to help when having problems getting Option 2 to come up.

Also be sure Windows Firewall is turned off during this time.

Be patient, read all the posts above and keep trying. It will work sooner or later.[/quote]
kajeremy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 23:56    Post subject: It was a dumb mistake Reply with quote
I had a bad solder job on the rx on the router, which let me see the text scroll by on my pc, but my keyboard input wasn't being sent to the router. After rechecking that, everything worked great. I just hit 2 even though I only had 1 option in the menu. Thanks again for all the documentation and the quick reply!!!
mr_bubbles_34
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 15:14    Post subject: Trouble With Lan Ports? Reply with quote
Well, first and foremost, thanks for all of the useful information above, and for the fantastic images/video documenting exactly how to do this. I ran into a few hangups during installation, but eventually figured everything out and got DDWRT up and running on my EasyN4.

Now that I've got it up and running though, I seem to be having some trouble getting the LAN ports to work. For whatever reason, It seems I'm able to connect to the box via wireless (by connecting to the default ddwrt network), but when trying to connect via ethernet cable, I can't even get a ping response.

I'm very new to the software so I may have just missed something but has anyone else been experiencing this?

Edit I thought I should augment my post by saying that I've done most of the standard diagnostics, played with ip addresses, etc. Maybe a good question to ask is where I should look in the web gui settings to attempt to "manually" bind the LAN ports to the wifi network, if that's even possible?
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Now that I've got it up and running though, I seem to be having some trouble getting the LAN ports to work

Can't remember for sure but seems like I saw somewhere that others were having LAN problems with the latest build of DD-WRT on this or similar routers.

You might try an older build to see.

I know for sure the LAN Leds did not work back when I was using DD-WRT on this router but the LAN port worked fine.
tismon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forgive my revival, but I feel it is relavant. I'm trying to do this to my easyn4, but I can't seem to find suggestions for a good header to use. Although I've looked around and searched the forum, I couldn't find any listed.

Thanks
kajeremy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 23:54    Post subject: openvpn Reply with quote
Again, great postings guys. I've had this working for a few months now thanks to you guys. I'm curious if anyone has added openvpn to this router? I have a little time coming up, might give it a try but I figured no since reinventing the wheel if someone's already done it. Any thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: