NAT Problem with Xbox 360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
special43543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 16:53    Post subject: NAT Problem with Xbox 360 Reply with quote
Before I begin, let me start by saying that I am well aware that this is a beaten to death conversation. However, for the life of me I cannot get my NAT status to open.

I have a Motorola SBG900 modem/router in the living room. In my gaming room, I have the Linksys WRT54G-TM router with DD-WRT v24-sp2(11/14/09) installed. I am using this as a "Repeater Bridge". To set this up I followed all of the steps provided by the guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge. Next I followed all the steps to set my Xbox up to the router from this guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Configuring_for_Xbox_360.

When that failed, I followed a guide specific to my Motorola modem to open ports by this guide http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/Xbox_Live_360.htm.

I have read numerous threads regarding this and I have had no luck. I guess it is important to say that my Xbox is currently set up on automatic (dynamic) ip setting as I cannot get the DNS configured correctly on my Xbox. I brought up the command prompt to get all of my information by typing "ipconfig /all" and typed that DNS. I used a "public" DNS of "8.8.8.8" and used my default gateway as well. No such luck yet. However, I have read that you do not need to have a static ip to get this to work.

My default gateway is 192.168.0.1, so my router I set to 192.168.0.2. The UPnP setting are both set to enable, I have ports 3074, 88, and 53 all open with a static lease on my Xbox's MAC address of 192.168.0.22 with the ports forwarded to that IP address as well. The Xbox currently lists the automatic IP as 192.168.0.7. At one point, I enabled a DMZ on that static lease ip with no avail. The only way I have gotten it completely open is to disable my NAT setting on my modem. I have also forwarded all those ports and did a static lease that matched the router on my Motorola Modem.

Any questions, thoughts, ideas, concerts please voice them. I have been over and over this and just cannot get it to work.

Thanks,
Jason.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
the repeater bridge is transparent.. except for the part about expanding your network wirelessly, it is no different than a dumb switch connected to your main router via a cable. The point I am making, you do not use upnp on both the bridge and the main router. Only the main router.

One or the other, not both in regards to upnp or port forwarding. If you only have one xbox, I suggest:

turn off upnp. Set the xbox up with a static IP on the xbox, not a static lease in the router. Why are you using 8.8.8.8 for your dns? use your isp's dns.

Forward ports 88 & 3074 to the xbox's ip. port 53 is outgoing and does not need to be forwarded.

make sure you follow the wiki in regards to setting up the repeater bridge. Make sure all check boxes are cleared from the firewall tab and the spi firewall is off.

Unless you actually need to repeat the wireless signal, consider setting up your device as a client bridge and connect the xbox via cable to the bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only started forwarding the ports on both routers when the DD-WRT one failed to alone. So you are saying that I should not change any of the bridge settings and just my Motorola router?

I have two Xboxs. One is connected directly into the modem/router in the living room, the other is in the gaming room connected to the dd-wrt client. I took your suggestion to change the wireless mode to a client bridge because I do not need the wireless signal.

Currently, I have also turned off all port forwarding on my client and disabled the UPnP settings. There are no UPnP settings on my Motorola modem/router.

My modem/router has ports 3034 and 88 forwarded, but again I cannot get my Xbox to recognize a static IP. When I type "ipconfig /all" it lists 3 DNS servers: "68.105.28.11", "68.105.29.11", and "68.105.28.12". My Xbox only allows for a first and second DNS. The Xbox automatically lists the first two DNS, which I put in there manually and it still says cannot find DNS servers, but passes the ip address test.

So the summary of changes are my Xbox is set to automatic IP, the client has no ports forwarded and UPnP is disabled with only the primary router forwarding ports 3074 and 88. My NAT is still moderate. Perhaps my biggest problem is getting the Xbox to a static IP?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok.. two xbox's is a different story.

Now you must use upnp.

so... your main router is the motorola, and the dd-wrt router is now being used as a client bridge.. yes?

remove all port forwards and turn on upnp in the main router only, not the bridge. The client bridge is just a wireless nic now.

let the xbox's get their ip via dhcp of the main router. The xbox behind the bridge will get a dhcp ip.

when you test your nat, power up one xbox and run the xbox live test. then power up the other and do the same. If your motorola does it right, both should have open nat.

there is a page on the xbox forum with tested and approved devices for open nat & upnp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I removed all port forwards and UPnP settings from the bridge. There are no UPnP settings on my motorola mo.dem/router though.

If I do not create a static IP for my Xbox, how will I know the IP address since it is constantly changing?

Do I create a static dhcp lease? I tried that before and it didn't work. Once I had the dhcp lease set up I turned on DMZ and that didn't work either. I could try a total NAT passthrough which is insecure. The only way I have gotten an open NAT is by disabling the NAT entirely. I'm not sure what else to do.[/i]
special43543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just now did a NAT pass through using the Xbox's MAC address with a "bypass firewall (true DMZ)", rebooted the modem and my xbox still says moderate.

Besides disabling the NAT entirely, I don't know what to do.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
well.. I suspect the problem is with the modem. I am not familiar with the device so I can offer no additional help.

Is it possible to put the modem in bridge mode, and use your router as a router? Meaning, if you set up the router for a wan connection type of dhcp, will you get a real wan ip?

If you connect the xbox directly to the modem, does it get open nat?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The modem does not have dd-wrt on it. I suppose it would be useful to mention that I just moved and I am trying to set up a new network. Previously I was using a Motorola modem that had no router features and was using a regular G Linksys router as my wireless and the current Linksys G DD-WRT as a bridge. My nap was open just fine. So perhaps it is the modem...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
special43543 wrote:
The modem does not have dd-wrt on it. I suppose it would be useful to mention that I just moved and I am trying to set up a new network. Previously I was using a Motorola modem that had no router features and was using a regular G Linksys router as my wireless and the current Linksys G DD-WRT as a bridge. My nap was open just fine. So perhaps it is the modem...

I am sure it is a pita but you should try the xbox connected directly to the modem. If you can not get open nat then, any further attempt is futile.

Possibly explain the problem to your isp. It is amazing what they may be able to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
if your modem has a DMZ then statically assign an IP to your xbox and place that IP you gave your xbox in the DMZ after that there is no need to forward any ports to your xbox...
special43543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's replies. Just in case anyone else has that modem, I did hook it up directly to the Xbox with still a moderate NAT. I got rid of that modem and now I am using the Motorola SB5120 and it works fine. I am using it in addition to a separate Linksys Router that has the option to prioritize bandwidth by MAC number and open up ports accordingly. I enabled the UPnP, forwarded the ports and set my DD-WRT linksys as a wireless bridge with no ports forwarded and did not mess with any ports. It works like a charm, just like it previously did.

Long story short, my particular Motorola SB900 router functions were not working properly.

Thanks again,
Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: