Issues Setting up Client Bridge

monsieurdozier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 23:07    Post subject: Issues Setting up Client Bridge Reply with quote
I'm working on setting up a Client Bridge for my home.

My Access Point is a Linksys WRT54-G.
My Client Bridge is a D-Link DIR-601.

I followed the Firmware instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-601

I then followed the Client Bridge instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop to set all this up.

I followed the instructions, but I'm having a weird issue. If my laptop is running a static IP address, I can connect to the router, but it will not connect to the Internet. From what I can tell, it can see the AP. Under status, Wireless, I can click Survey Site, and the AP comes up. I can click join, and it says the client joined, but still no Internet.

If I set my laptop back to DHCP, it seems that I cannot get an IP address, and cannot connect to the CB at all.

I've looked around, but I'm at a loss on what to do or to try. It would seem that the CB is not connected to the AP, and isn't assigning IP addresses, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking into helping me with this problem.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Join only fills out the SSID for you. It will not connect until you apply the SSID and make sure that you've configured the correct encryption settings. You can view the Wireless Status page to see if the CB connected to an AP.
monsieurdozier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
More info:
Firmware Version:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/17/11) std - build 16214

I attached a screenshot of the Wireless Status Page.

I've tried logging into the AP by typing in the IP address in Firefox, but I'm not able to connect. In the trial in the screenshot, I disabled my Encryptions temporarily, just to see if I can get the two to talk. I'm not having any real luck and I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong.
hmt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have exact same problem. Wondering if you have this issue resolved? If so, can you share?

Thanks
HT
monsieurdozier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not get it resolved. I actually ran Ethernet under my house because I couldn't figure it out.
mtbdude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 23:16    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote
Client bridge router: WRT54G v1.1,
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini
Main router/modem: Ultraline Series 3 Model 9100EM (Verizon FIOS)
Accessing WRT54G w/ HP notebook running Win7 Home Premium SP1

Have gone thru' Peacock thread and set up client bridge according to Wiki.

Can access router only when static IP assigned to computer. Perhaps this is normal.

When network adapter is set to obtain addresses automatically IPCONFIG /all shows:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-1A-54-B5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.18.244(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

From general info I am gleaning on other sites, the IPv4 address of 169.254.x.x means an IP address isn't being obtained (from the main router?). And should not the Default Gateway be showing as 192.168.1.1?

Executing IPCONFIG /renew command (after release):

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

This router has actually worked as a client bridge under Tomato. I use it with a Slingbox. I am thinking that problem coincides with upgrading the computer from Vista to Win7, but it worked for some period of time after that. So not sure at all what is really going on. Nor is this something that I have any expertise with at all, and already know way more than I ever wanted to.

Hope this is enough info to figure out what is wrong.

One last tidbit -- I connected the WRT54G by ethernet cable to my desktop computer, which is normally cable-connected to the main router. It produced the same result: IP address 169.254.x.x, and would not access the router without a static IP. Hooking the desktop back up the the main router it returned to IP address 192.168.1.102. Something is up with my router...
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 0:14    Post subject: Re: same problem Reply with quote
mtbdude wrote:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini
[...]
Have gone thru' Peacock thread and set up client bridge according to Wiki.

You didn't read the peacock thread very well. Read the broadcom forum announcements carefully, particularly the link in my sig, and stop using a bad build.

mtbdude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:00    Post subject: ...didn't read Peacock very well Reply with quote
...likely not. There is a lot of info there, and I confess that it did confuse me a bit.

I will try again to glean from it the correct build. (Since you are more thoroughly familiar w/ the Peacock narrative, perhaps you could give me a hint?)

Do you think the issue that I mentioned, i.e., the IPv4 address of 169.254.x.x is due to that build?

Anyway, I will post back here if that will correct.

Thanks for fast reply.
mtbdude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:17    Post subject: gave up Reply with quote
After wasting a huge amount of time trying to get my Linksys router to work as an ethernet bridge, not to mention the inexplicable condescension received here, I gave up.

Bought a Trendnet TEW-650AP that has a client mode, and got it working in a few minutes. Cost was $30.

Will never know why that Linksys worked with Tomato, stopped, and then exhibited the symptoms mentioned here. Don't care anymore. It's heading to the recycle bin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: