Best WRT54G and WRT54GS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Zachariah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 17:58    Post subject: Best WRT54G and WRT54GS Reply with quote
I have searched, googled, and read the wiki, and looked at the tables at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G and http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-6b2369a6aabba3642915213936b680fdedcffe0d

But I can't find anywhere where anyone has claimed which of the WRT54G routers is best and which of the WRT54GS routers is best.

Is the best one the one just prior to the first one that has reduced RAM, etc? (since that's the newest one that isn't crippled)

Or, is there something else to consider?

Following my logic, the best ones would be:
the WRT54G CDFA/v4 (or CDF9/v3.1 if the extra 16Mhz is more important) and
the WRT54GS CGN5/v3 (or CGN4/v2.1 if the extra 16Mhz is more important)

Is this a simple question to answer, or does it depend on what you want to use the router for?

(edit: added v# to each serial)

Last edited by Zachariah on Sun Feb 18, 2007 21:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ofbarea
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
For hardware:
Best WRT54GS: V3 (Latest model with large memory), but any V1 to v3 will have the same amount of memory.

Best WRT54G: V4 (Latest model of the original G series). I like the switch for turning/on and off wifi.

For third party Firmware compatibility:
WRT54G v2 (almost everything will run on this one). Also it was a very capable switch chip for v-lans...

Very Happy

BY this is just my opinion... You are free to pick up anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: