DIR-601 A1 - Here are the flashing Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
sportsfan2005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
jb317 wrote:
Anybody get this router to work as a client bridge? If so, HOW!?!

Thanks in advance.

I spent about 4hrs trying to get the client bridge working, and never got it. Client mode does work. If your prepared to do some heavy setup on both your primary & DD-WRT routers, you can still connect to home groups and share files/printers with the rest of your network in client mode.
Sponsor
bail_w
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
W.I.C wrote:
I've been using dd-wrt on my DIR-601 for several weeks now.

The only performance issue that i've noticed is that the maximum TX power when using Wireless N is limited to 9 dBm...which is shockingly low. It doesn't get that much better when using B or G...they top out at 12 dBm.

The maximum TX power varies depending on the channel that you chose, so on certain channels the maximum TX power drops to 5 dBm.

That issue aside, the Wireless N transfer rate(150Mbit link) when sending files from wired lan to a wifi device is about 9 MegaBytes/sec, while the reverse, sending files from a wifi device to the wired lan is about 7 MegaBytes per second.

Overall those speeds are the same that I would receive when using the stock D-Link firmware.

Unrelated DIR-601 tip:

Using WiViz in the dd-wrt control panel will bring down ath0 99% of the time, making WiFi unusable. The easiest way to bring ath0 back up is to then simply click on "Site Survey" Cool

Anyone body knows how to increase the tx power? I just want it to be at 16...
Shelnutt2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having trouble getting ports to forward on this and to set a static ip address. If I set a static ip address via servies, my pc is given the address however it can no longer access the internet. I can ssh into the router, but I can't ping the web. The router and other devices can access the web fine. As soon as I remove the static ip, my computer can access the web again. (I restarted dhcpcd a few times and it didn't effect anything). I also can't get port forwarding to work, nor the web interface. I enabled port forward, I tried using a single port, a range, dmz and enabling the web interface. However I can't access it remotely not via ip address nor my ddns (ufteach.no-ip.org).

This leads me to believe somewhere something isn't working, in relation to incoming connection to the router. I have tried the four different firmware available, to no eval.

Now my other thing is I did buy this refurbed during tiger direct's $16 sale. I needed a new one since my WRT54G was down to needing a reboot every 30 minutes. So it might be the hardware, but I'd like your opinions before I ship it back.
bail_w
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shelnutt2 wrote:
I am having trouble getting ports to forward on this and to set a static ip address. If I set a static ip address via servies, my pc is given the address however it can no longer access the internet. I can ssh into the router, but I can't ping the web. The router and other devices can access the web fine. As soon as I remove the static ip, my computer can access the web again. (I restarted dhcpcd a few times and it didn't effect anything). I also can't get port forwarding to work, nor the web interface. I enabled port forward, I tried using a single port, a range, dmz and enabling the web interface. However I can't access it remotely not via ip address nor my ddns (ufteach.no-ip.org).

This leads me to believe somewhere something isn't working, in relation to incoming connection to the router. I have tried the four different firmware available, to no eval.

Now my other thing is I did buy this refurbed during tiger direct's $16 sale. I needed a new one since my WRT54G was down to needing a reboot every 30 minutes. So it might be the hardware, but I'd like your opinions before I ship it back.

You can give Gargoyle OpenWRT firmware a try.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1012
idk12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
after i secured my wireless with wpa2 personal. I can't access 192.168.1.1 anymore. It works before that is how i was able to secure my wireless. This happened to my wrt54g too, but i didn't know what cause it. Someone please advice.
idk12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
the connection keeps dropping. How can i reverse back to original firmware?
bail_w
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can revert back to the original firmware by 1.pressing the reset button while powering up the router.
2. Set your IP address and subnet mask to 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.0.1
3. When the power led turns flashing orange, go to a browser and enter 192.168.0.1
4. Browse the D-Link firmware and flash it.
rob0matic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
cant download firmware, how long till back up?
W.I.C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
bail_w wrote:
W.I.C wrote:
I've been using dd-wrt on my DIR-601 for several weeks now.

The only performance issue that i've noticed is that the maximum TX power when using Wireless N is limited to 9 dBm...which is shockingly low. It doesn't get that much better when using B or G...they top out at 12 dBm.

The maximum TX power varies depending on the channel that you chose, so on certain channels the maximum TX power drops to 5 dBm.

That issue aside, the Wireless N transfer rate(150Mbit link) when sending files from wired lan to a wifi device is about 9 MegaBytes/sec, while the reverse, sending files from a wifi device to the wired lan is about 7 MegaBytes per second.

Overall those speeds are the same that I would receive when using the stock D-Link firmware.

Unrelated DIR-601 tip:

Using WiViz in the dd-wrt control panel will bring down ath0 99% of the time, making WiFi unusable. The easiest way to bring ath0 back up is to then simply click on "Site Survey" Cool

Anyone body knows how to increase the tx power? I just want it to be at 16...

Late reply but if wireless range is important to you....switch back to the D-link firmware Wink, that's what I did.

The d-link firmware allows 19dBm (vs 9dBm on dd-wrt), which significantly increases the range of the router.

The other benefit of the d-link firmware is when using wireless-n the link speed always stays at 150 Mb/sec, and never drops down to 65 Mb/sec.

In dd-wrt the link speed would unexpectedly drop to 65 Mb/sec for some unknown reason, and stay there. Once that happens, the only way to get a 150 Mb/sec capable device to obtain that link speed is to reboot the router, or bring down ath0 (ifconfig ath0 down or disable via the web interface), and then bring it up again.

Another issue with dd-wrt, compared to the d-link firmware is that any "little" change in dd-wrt brings the entire network down, including the WAN connection, which to me is very very annoying, more annoying than d-link's "wait 15 seconds" screens which can be circumvented by hitting the "go-back" mouse button Very Happy
rob0matic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
found the firmware in case others are having troubles locating.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F
Oldtyme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi. I had no problems flashing my 601 to dd-wrt, however, I am having problems flashing it back.

1: I've followed instructions given.....the flash will upload, but then it just sits there. I never see the lights flash showing the flash was successful. The other orange lights just keep flashing. I've waited over 10-15 minutes one time & nothing.

2: when using the setup for dd-wrt the software itself seems so slow. Every time I change to a different screen it takes a minute or so too load.

Thanks.

(ps fwiw. I shouldn't have flashed it. I know computers but when it comes to networking I'm a dumbass) lol. )
Oldtyme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still no luck. Have been trying everything & anything.

On the plus side. After a reset my DD-WRT GUI is now much faster :\

I'm not even sure the image is uploading...it says it does, but then tries to reconnect to x.x.0.1 and never does...
Yes I set a static IP.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Oldtyme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to all the great help here....(is that sarcasm?) I was able to flash back to stock firmware.

IE9 & Chrome would NOT work. Had to install Firefox.

Just following up in case others have the same problem.
colin.p
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought two 601's, as they were quite cheap. One I kept stock and the other to play around with DD-WRT. I flashed the version listed on the website 16214. However, subsequent updated versions would not flash.
Reading these forums, I saw that it was a fairly common issue. Even though DD-WRT seems like a cool firmware, quite a few of the options don't work (logging and QOS come to mind).
When and if I ever buy a newer router, I won't bother with DD-WRT and go with someone else's FW, or stick with the manufacturers.
I have since hooked up my second 601, with stock D-Link FW and updates, logging and QOS work fine.

Registered Linux User #318277
The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648
gsiebrecht
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oldtyme wrote:
Thanks to all the great help here....(is that sarcasm?) I was able to flash back to stock firmware.

IE9 & Chrome would NOT work. Had to install Firefox.

Just following up in case others have the same problem.

I had the same problem, in fact I couldn't get firefox on linux to flash the stock back on, I ended up using firefox 9 on windows to get it to work.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: