Will dd-wrt support RT-N13U?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
grymster
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
amitg0123 wrote:

Eager to know how you managed to build the final firmware.

When I have time I will provide some script, patches, etc. and explanation how to get it done! Smile

But now I have to go and spend some time with my beloved wife Smile
Sponsor
amitg0123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
grymster wrote:
Ok!
First of all about what were removed from original firmware to free space for extra modules:
1. IPv6 support.
2. USB printing support.
3. USB serial support.
4. 3G drivers for Sierra and Option cards support.

I think it's not good idea to remove these features but you should have consider of removing some other stuffs like hotspot apps.
grymster wrote:

In attached file you will find the firmware itself.
This file have to be used with Asus Firmware Restoration Utility or by using tftp client.
If you don't know what it does mean - please forget about my build!

P.S. Just to be sure that uploaded file is intact,
file size - 3713631
file md5sum - d7c9b36dc880aaa4310aa03bd6e565a1

Looking at file size, I assume it's not for Asus N13U B1. Would you confirm whether this router is supported?
viking13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
grymster wrote:
Please enjoy your router with build-in FS and SWAP support!

Thank you very much!!! Very Happy

Swap is working!

Code:
root@white:/opt# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        29432        26112         3320            0         1364
 Swap:        65512            0        65512
Total:        94944        26112        68832

Since you didn't had time to add some more information, I had to do some aditional steps in order to make this work.

If there is a better way to do this, please point all of us in right direction.

I enabled USB storage and automatic mounting, but I didn't knew if there is a run-on-mount script, so I checked where kernel modules are, and added those lines to startup:

Code:
sleep 15
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/jbd/jbd.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/mbcache.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
sleep 10
mount -t ext3 -o noatime /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /opt

Then I used gouryella's way to install optware, samba and other stuff.

Finally I enabled swap with this line

Code:

/opt/bin/busybox swapon /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
viking13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
gouryella wrote:

This exort (putty) is working for me, try to run as mc -c

I think I should ask that question slightly different.

May main problem was that I can not edit /etc/profile

I found a way how to use another file that can be edited:

Code:
mount --bind /opt/etc/profile /etc/profile

Now I can change /opt/etc/profile and effect will be same as I edited original /etc/profile.

Thank anyway. Smile
grymster
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
amitg0123 wrote:

Looking at file size, I assume it's not for Asus N13U B1. Would you confirm whether this router is supported?

It's RT-N13U topic and firmware.
It has nothing to do with B1 version.

Last edited by grymster on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43; edited 1 time in total
Amunhateb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone help me please with very strange issue. I have recently changed my ISP. And starting script stoped to work =(. I don't know how it can be relayted. But when I plug back my old ISP, script is working, plug in new it does not =(. I tryed use this commands one by one via telnet, it worked perfectly. If I call all this commands one by one via web ui it works too. But when I call the whole script something goes wrong and non of commands seems to be started. My previous ISP provided me with Internet via PPPOE connection. My new one provide me with Static IP adress, Mask, Gateway, and DNS.
dinjo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the swap helping here ? And i still ask the question since B1 model has different build is this firmware working for B1 model ?
amitg0123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
grymster wrote:
amitg0123 wrote:

It's RT-N13U topic and firmware.
It has nothing to do with B1 version.

Thanks for clarification. I myself managed to build the kernel and router tools but unable to build the final firmware image.

It would be of great help if you explain how you managed to build the final firmware.

Thanks
grymster
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
amitg0123 wrote:

It would be of great help if you explain how you managed to build the final firmware.

Thanks

In attached file you will find my script which I used to build firmware. Also there are tools compiled from dd-wrt svn source for building final firmware.
Just replace insides of root_fs directory with your tree and set your directories in script file.

Warning!
Based on my experiences it would be great idea to have "usb2ttl serial cable"! In case of bricking your router you will be able to easily un-brick it Wink

Last edited by grymster on Sun Feb 16, 2014 18:13; edited 2 times in total
yutoon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Being able to produce custom builds is is a huge step forward. Kudos to you, Grymster.

Going back just over a year, Timekiller first proposed adding the ext2 drivers to the build, http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1620. (Presumably lesser-used items could be taken out, if needed, as amitg0123 refreshes a few posts back.) That ticket has remained open, suggesting BrainSlayer () may intend to do this, but no action thus far.

Why this practice (including ext2 drivers) isn't standard across all possible builds is baffling. Doing so makes it possible for the device to be self-contained.

While Gouryella is the best (three cheers for him ), what happens when his server (or anyone's mirror) is down and the router needs a reboot?

Don't know what the memory map looks like, but very much hope for a build with ext2, and only the junk ditched, if necessary (not IPv6 or USB printing). Chances are, that would be the final FW update for me.

The RT-N13U is a great little machine, even without swap. It's been running Asterisk (with GV and a second line registered) for months flawlessly. It provides wireless to my neighbors on a separate network, serves files from a small website, provides access to network storage and streams to the stereo via sound card. If only it could boot up without wget!
amitg0123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
grymster wrote:
amitg0123 wrote:

Thanks

In attached file you will find my script which I used to build firmware. Also there are tools compiled from dd-wrt svn source for building final firmware.
Just replace insides of root_fs directory with your tree and set your directories in script file.

Thanks grymster. I will resume my adventure to prepare a similar custom firmware for n13u.b1.

Thank you again...
grymster
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
amitg0123 wrote:

Thanks grymster. I will resume my adventure to prepare a similar custom firmware for n13u.b1.

Thank you again...

I believe that main hardware (except flash and RAM of course) are the same in both revisions of N13U therefore I think that N13U firmware should work on N13U-b1 too but I cannot check it.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
viking13 wrote:

Code:
sleep 15
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/jbd/jbd.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/mbcache.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.17/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
sleep 10
mount -t ext3 -o noatime /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /opt

It's not necessary to use full path to modules.

Code:

insmod jbd
insmod mbcache
insmod ext3

This will work just fine.

Also I forgot to check Web GUI automount setup page maybe it will work Smile

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
yutoon wrote:

While Gouryella is the best (three cheers for him ), what happens when his server (or anyone's mirror) is down and the router needs a reboot?

I was worried about that too, so I found another way to mount partition, that works without any internet connection or kernel modules in firmware:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mounting_USB_drive_without_located_onboard_fs_modules

Kirill's way require one more small partition on USB storage device where you put Gouryella's pacakge with kernel modules.

It works great and I used to use it, until grymster made firmware with swap support. All you need now is to flash grymster's firmware, and you will have kernel modules and swap right in firmware.

For everything else (how to install optware, samba...) there is nothing like Gouryella's way of doing those things in case of N13U!

Thanks Gouryella, Kirill and grymster!
amitg0123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

The n13u.b1 mod is here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=632565

enjoy!

Many thanks to grymster Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 57, 58, 59  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 51 of 59
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: