Recommended VLAN capable build for Linksys E2000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 13:44    Post subject: Recommended VLAN capable build for Linksys E2000 Reply with quote
I picked up a refurbed E2000, and I want to find a build that has working VLANs and trunking through the GUI. 14929 is the generally recommended build, but the wiki says it doesn't support VLANs on the E2000. The wiki says builds over 15508 have VLANs fixed, but the peacock says everything other then 14929 is the devil and will sell your children to the gypsies... Any recommendation for a relatively stable build over 15508 would be appreciated.

Features it that need to work inaddition to VLANs:
PPTP VPN client (just using connection type on basic setup page)

Things I'd like it to support but could live without:
Multiple SSIDs on separate VLANs

What I have read on those newer builds seem to imply that most everything works, I just don't want to take stabs in the dark.
Sponsor
ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 14:21    Post subject: 17201 is not cutting it. Reply with quote
Since no one answered, I'll post my experience with 17201. I can't get my bridge assignments to save through a reboot.

I need the WAN interface to be on VLAN 1. After going through all the changes needed to put the LAN on VLAN 2, and the WAN on VLAN 1, it seems to work fine. Before I get into PPTP setup, and trunking, I give it a reboot, and everything goes to shit. When I finally figure out how to get in to the web interface through wifi, I find that the ports are still assigned to the VLANs I put them on, but the bridge assignment have reverted to original, which means the WAN port is now the only one on LAN bridge, along with wifi. I'll have to try another build tomorrow, cause I can't leave my LAN on VLAN 1.

On a positive note, I can verify that trunking worked.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this page about the WAN port assignment problem, adjust the fix at the end for vlan1 since that's what you want the WAN interface to be.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reconfigure_VLANs_for_802.1q_Compatibility

ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03    Post subject: script didn't fix it Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion, but no dice with the start up script. VLAN 1 gets assigned to the LAN bridge on reboot. Is there a similar script to force the LAN bridge to VLAN 2?

FWIW, this router will be providing access to my VPN provider. I have VLAN capable 5 port switches to distribute my lan throughout the apartment. With trunking, can route the vpn presence to whereever I want it. If I can set up VLANs on my NIC, I can even access both from my HTPC at the same time (VPN for streaming media from the US, regular lan for shared resources) The switches require that one port is always assigned to VLAN 1 for management. Since they're only 5 port switches, I don't have enough ports at every location to dedicate one to what would endup being VPN access if I can't get the VPN'd LAN bridge off VLAN 1.
tws101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use build 16785 that should work for you.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

The only issue I have is I can't assign a default vlan 1 to accept untagged frames on a tagged port.

I specifically need this as the APs I have deployed are using vlans based on SSID but the managment traffic is all untagged and I have no way of tagging it.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:10    Post subject: 15508, 16785 & 17201 all fail Reply with quote
15508, 16785 & 17201 all fail to hold the LAN bridge assignments though a reboot. Since 15508 was the first time the vlan GUI worked, it doesn't seem like it has ever worked right. Can anyone verify that an E2000 can hold a LAN bridge assignment other then vlan 1 through a reboot?

My test has been just moving ports 1-4 to vlan 3 and moving the LAN bridge to vlan 3 (save, apply settings, wait, verify setting on networking tab, reboot). Every time, the LAN bridge gets assigned back to vlan 1. The ports all stay where i put them on vlan 3. I've also tried adding vlan 3 to the LAN bridge and leaving on Vlan 1 too. After reboot, same result, LAN is only on vlan 1.

Am I just out of luck? Can this be done with scripts/command line? I've seen commands for assigning ports to vlans, but I don't know how to assign bridge via commands.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the VLAN page are you changing the "assign to bridge" setting to "none" for VLAN 1? Are you assigning another VLAN (say VLAN 2) to the LAN bridge?

Could you please post screenshots of your VLAN and Networking page settings that you're trying to use before rebooting AND after rebooting.

If you're configuring everything correctly and it's still not holding then I should be able to come up with a script for you. As I said in the linked guide, the 'sanity checks' in the startup routines sometimes prevent you from configuring things exactly as you want to because they think they're correcting problems with CFE default variables (or ones from another firmware because you didn't hard reset as you should).

ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote
I didn't grab an after shot of the networking page, because it reverted to the default and you should be familiar with that.

I returned to 17201, because on 15508 the networking page showed both vlan 1&2 being assigned to br0. That was after making the same changes to the vlan page and WAN assignment on the networking page, and giving it time to take effect (2+ mins). It took less the a minute for the changes to register on 17201.

I always select reset settings when flashing the firmware and I've reset using the front button while power on after screwing this up with other changes, and this problem is persistent.

Edit: I tested this with 17598, and had the same problem. I think I found another person who had the same issue on this thread at StrongVPN.com

http://strongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3135#p3135

That setup sounded so perfect that that's what I want to do now. I still have the same problem. I need a vlan other then 1 assigned to br0, and for it to survive a reboot.

The VAP question I had is moot now.

Networking.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.61 KB
 Viewed:  14927 Time(s)

Networking.jpg

vlan before reboot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.3 KB
 Viewed:  14928 Time(s)

vlan before reboot.jpg

vlan after reboot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.1 KB
 Viewed:  14930 Time(s)

vlan after reboot.jpg

ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:44    Post subject: partial fix Reply with quote
Under my original post, I needed to move the WAN interface from vlan2 to vlan1 & br0 from vlan1 to vlan2. Every reboot cause those settings to revert. Every attempt i made to move either of those interfaces to any other vlans would get reset after reboot. The new plan requires 2 vlans to be on br0. adding another vlan to the LAN bridge on the VLAN page gets reset on reboot, but putting "brctl addif br0 vlan3" in the startup script* survives and is reflected on the Networking page. It doesn't show on the VLAN page, but I think it still works.

The bridge assignments on the VLAN page getting reset is probably a bug that should be reported. I don't know if this is only limited to the E2000. Is there anything else I should test to try and isolate the problem?

*found in a similar but most likely unrelated bug report by phuzi0n http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/1927
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it seems that your "assign to bridge" settings on the VLAN page just won't hold at all. I rarely ever tried those settings because they're one of a few redundant options and they're more limited (you can only assign to the LAN bridge br0 or none at all) than the the Networking page counterpart which can assign to any bridge. I think the VLAN page bridge settings should be removed entirely.

I'd be interested to know whether the Networking page bridge settings will hold or not, but you've already found the solid solution of using brctl directly.

ddkore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18    Post subject: sorta Reply with quote
I wouldn't call brctl a "solid" solution, and it turns out that bridge assignment made on the networks page seem to stick just as well as brctl. Two things happen with every reboot. vlan1 is always assigned to br0, and WAN is assigned to vlan2. It can get a little sticky, with the WAN being on a vlan2 and vlan2 assigned to br0 if you brctl vlan2 to br0. That doesn't really work very well.

I can get multiple vlans on br0 now. If only I could get that awesome script I found to work. I'll start another thread to see if anyone can help me get that working.
the joker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55    Post subject: help Reply with quote
so i'm new here. and i try to find the info i need but i can't find that.. so i found this thread becous i hate to open new topic's

so my problem that i need a little help to.
i have build a net work in my home.. i have a fiber line network and that's working VLAN based.. my main router i have confugurated and every thing works. but on some places i want TV and internet.. so i get my self a linksys e2000 and i have dd wrt running on it.. but i came at a point that i don't know what i need to do next. it could be that i don't understand how VLAN works.. or DD wrt it's user interface is just to hard to understand..

but what i want to a complish is the next thing

so port 10 on my main router that's on routerOS..
that is cluttery free !

as you se i put a few vlans over this port
vlan 10.6 = internet
vlan 10.4 = tv
vlan 10.7 = land line
don't minde the 10 in front that's only the name of the vlan interface to keep every ting orginized so that i dont get a headache when i want to add or change. Wink

as you can see for example the id of vlan 10.6 is to set to vlan id 6

so what i want in dd wrt is that poort 1 2 is internet
3 for tv and 4 wil pass trough vlan 7..

how do i set this up becouse the user interface drives me crazy ..
if i understand well
the WAN connection is vlan2
the switch connections are on VLAN1
and

switch lable
1-2-3-4
nvram
4-3-2-1

please help
big thx

router board 3.PNG
 Description:
its set to bridge local (thats internet)
 Filesize:  23.96 KB
 Viewed:  8333 Time(s)

router board 3.PNG

router board 2 .PNG
 Description:
vlan ID
 Filesize:  12.42 KB

router board 2 .PNG

router board.PNG
 Description:
port 10 main router
 Filesize:  3.38 KB

router board.PNG

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the CLI to set-up vlan.

To see the current configuration:

nvram show | grep vlan./ports

Use a "t" to tag the vlan on the port.

nvram set vlan6ports="0t 5"
nvram set vlan6hwname=eth
nvram commit

Presume the processor is on port 5 and the wan on port 0. Check with the first command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: