Linksys E4200 - no wireless + QOS stable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Rimsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 18:00    Post subject: Linksys E4200 - no wireless + QOS stable Reply with quote
Hi, I have been through the massive E4200 thread at least once and my head is spinning.

What I am looking for is a recommendations of a firmware version for my needs.

1) I do not need wireless
2) I need solid working QOS

So basically good QOS and general reliability without wireless. I know the wireless on the dd-wrt firmwarre for this model lacks a good 5ghz and I also read on some posts that the QOS may be buggy (hence me asking for a recommendation)

Come someone recommend a build that will cover this.

The official firmware has reports of the QOS not working properly and it seems rather flakey when I tried it Sad

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsor
pharma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you don't need wireless and want solid QOS try one of the variants of Tomato firmware for the 4200. I've been using Toastman's mod for 4 months on my E4200 with no issues ... the only issue is the 5 ghz doesn't work (only both work on the E3000), but it is being worked on. I have about 5 wireless clients connected and gets speeds of 300 for n-client routers. QOS is excellent!

Last edited by pharma on Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:19; edited 1 time in total
Rimsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
pharma wrote:
If you don't need wireless and want solid QOS try one of the variants of Tomato firmware for the 4200. I've been using Toastman's mod for 4 months on my E4200 with no issues ... the only issue is the 5 ghz doesn't work (only both work on the E3000), but it is being worked on. I have about 5 wireless clients connected and gets speeds of 300 for n-client routers.

Thanks for the reply mate- what build of Toastmans are you using?

thanks again
pharma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently using Tomato-E4200USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.7483MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-VPN-NOCAT. You can download from here
Tomato forum at Linksysinfo.org is pretty good for questions and setup info.

Good luck!
Pjotr12345
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
For several weeks I've been using QoS succesfully. In DD-WRT, build 15962. The Special edition, which I bought in the web shop. On a Linksys WRT54GL v. 1.1.

In this QoS setup, bandwidth has been divided in order to provide a maximum of 10 IP addresses with each their own part of the bandwidth. While this setup hasn't experienced a stress test yet (up till now, a maximum of 4 simultaneous connections), things look good: consistent internet speed for each client when tested with speedtest.net.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/tomato.html
Rimsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
On a Linksys WRT54GL v. 1.1.

I don't see how this is relevant as it's not even the same hardware.

But thanks anyway.
Pjotr12345
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rimsey wrote:

On a Linksys WRT54GL v. 1.1.

I don't see how this is relevant as it's not even the same hardware.

I deemed it to be relevant, because it shows that QoS in DD-WRT apparently isn't flawed generally, in all builds. So the QoS in DD-WRT build 15962 just might work on your particular hardware as well. Worth a try, I'd say.

Quote:

But thanks anyway.

I fail to see the gratitude (or even common courtesy) in your reply, but you're welcome anyway.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/tomato.html
Rimsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry but knowing that QOS works on a different router using different hardware really isn't relevant to my situation or anyone elses I could think of - especially if you read my initial post.
Quote:
I know the wireless on the dd-wrt firmwarre for this model lacks a good 5ghz and I also read on some posts that the QOS may be buggy (hence me asking for a recommendation)

The E4200 has know problems with the QOS - but the WRT54GL even on dd-wrt doesn't... It does not have a 5ghz radio either.

Quote:
I fail to see the gratitude (or even common courtesy) in your reply, but you're welcome anyway.

Ah I see English isn't your first language - well in the line
Quote:
But thanks anyway.

The "thanks" part is short for "thank you". Which is an expression of gratitude. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You for clarification.

Thanks <----- there it is again just in case you missed it.
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pjotr12345 wrote:
So the QoS in DD-WRT build 15962 just might work on your particular hardware as well. Worth a try, I'd say.

Very bad advice. That build cannot be used on the E4200 as support for the E4200 only occurred on much later builds. 16727 is the first build that supports the E4200. Also, the e4200 uses k26 with the newest wireless drivers and imo there are no really good working builds for the e4200 atm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: