TFTP server not working in DNSMasq, WRT54GL 1G MMC/SD Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aclar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:31    Post subject: TFTP server not working in DNSMasq, WRT54GL 1G MMC/SD Mod Reply with quote
In the "Additional DNSMasq Options" I put:

dhcp-boot=thinstation.nbi.zpxe
dhcp-range=192.168.1.101,192.168.1.150,255.255.255.0,24h
tftp-root=/mmc/thinstation
enable-tftp

When I boot a diskless workstation, I receive an IP address from the DHCP server, but I get an error message: “PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout”. I’ve tried v24 RC2 standard build 9/4/2007 and various earlier builds but the boot file transfer never works. Do the dd-wrt builds actually have a tftp server compiled in the DNSMasq service? The “enable-tftp” command seems to kill the DNSMasq service completely as can be verified by typing “ps” on the router’s terminal. If I remove the “enable-tftp” command, apply settings, then type “ps”, I can see the DNSMasq service running. So I’m wondering if the DNSMasq service doesn’t really have a full feature set of the commands listed here: http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

I have the same problem on two routers: (1) Linksys WRT54GL, (2) Buffalo WRT-HP-G54. Do I need to install and run a separate TFTP server package? But this doesn’t seem necessary, because the dd-wrt wiki states that you can enable the built-in tftp server: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server#Enable_TFTP_server

Does the order of my commands make a difference? Surely someone else has succeeded because the usefulness of booting from a router without the need for a separate computer can not be understated. As you can see, my boot file resides on a 1G SD flash card mounted inside the router. The WRT54GL router was customized with the 1G flash card by Tekunix Corp.
Sponsor
aclar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:19    Post subject: Obstacle to making router a PXE boot server! Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad I found the answer to my previous post: The TFTP service which normally comes compiled with DNSMasq is not present in all of the dd-wrt builds - probably to save space. I could see from my boot log that DNSMasq was compiled with the "no-TFTP" option. This is a pity because if it were present, one could effectively turn their router into a PXE boot server. This of course would need the SC/MMC flash card modification to accomodate the large boot file.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread is ancient, but, given that we have 8Mb ROM / 64Mb RAM boxes out there now, what is involved in getting a built in tftpd service working in DNSMasq ?

I have had a play around with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) big - build 15962 but I can't seem to get any build info on dnsmasq.

I'll spend some more time on this, maybe put in a feature request.

Any comments anyone ?

Thanks in andvance
Chris
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Answer: Compile your own

Read the build from source wiki

Learn how to use the firmware mod kit

Learn how to check out the soruce (without the kernels you dont need if you want to get it all in this lifetime...its over a gig with a single kernel)

Learn how to cross compile

An overview of getting dnsmasq and TFTP working can be found here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144727

I hope this helps someone

/C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: