HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
badkarma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spent the last 4-5hrs trying to get my WZR-HP-G300NH's working in repeater bridge mode. I was running build 14998 from Buffalo's site on both routers. On secondary router I set it to client bridge, and then same SSID/WPAkey for vAP. Sometimes it would work for a minute and then the connection would drop.

Out of desperation I upgraded to build 16783 from Buffalo's site and it seems to be working better. I had a laptop connected to the 2nd router for quite awhile but then DHCP fails. It seems DHCP broadcast traffic works initially but afterwards it just stops. If I manually give my laptop static network details, everything works fine. Anyone have any suggestions? Wireshark on laptop shows broadcast traffic from DHCP request not being responded to... I'll have to trace the routers with tcpdump...
Sponsor
konnichiwa2222
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 16:22    Post subject: Have a problems with Security Mode WEP in repeater Reply with quote
Have a problems with Security Mode WEP in Wireless Mode client? I was successful in repeater mode Security Mode WAP. However I can not use passwords WEP for repeater. The router ( Tp-link wr740n v2.5) can not get default gateway.
Are you in this case ?
TRBN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
badkarma wrote:
Spent the last 4-5hrs trying to get my WZR-HP-G300NH's working in repeater bridge mode. I was running build 14998 from Buffalo's site on both routers. On secondary router I set it to client bridge, and then same SSID/WPAkey for vAP. Sometimes it would work for a minute and then the connection would drop.

Out of desperation I upgraded to build 16783 from Buffalo's site and it seems to be working better. I had a laptop connected to the 2nd router for quite awhile but then DHCP fails. It seems DHCP broadcast traffic works initially but afterwards it just stops. If I manually give my laptop static network details, everything works fine. Anyone have any suggestions? Wireshark on laptop shows broadcast traffic from DHCP request not being responded to... I'll have to trace the routers with tcpdump...

I am having this exact same problem. Two WZR-HP-G300NH's, setup one as a client bridge. It logs into the primary fine, I can log a client into the vAP for the first couple minutes, but the DHCP does not seem to traverse the client bridge after a few minutes.... Even the running client will loose its DHCP acquired IP.

TRBN
badkarma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems to be intermittent for me. Build 16783 is definitely better, but DHCP isn't consistent. The actual layer 2 connection is fine, it's just DHCP that's flakey. Thinking of trying a different build.

What build are you on? I'm thinking of trying build 17201 but I won't be able to until next weekend likely.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/

TRBN wrote:

I am having this exact same problem. Two WZR-HP-G300NH's, setup one as a client bridge. It logs into the primary fine, I can log a client into the vAP for the first couple minutes, but the DHCP does not seem to traverse the client bridge after a few minutes.... Even the running client will loose its DHCP acquired IP.

TRBN
Krashnburn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 13:20    Post subject: Dir 825 repeater setup Reply with quote
I got a Dir-825 trying to set it up as a repeater i have tried to set it up with the other configs that im reading about here. but no go can some one pls help me i have ww-wrt ver pre sp2 i can see other networks it says im successful in conecting but no go
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01    Post subject: Re: Dir 825 repeater setup Reply with quote
Krashnburn wrote:
I got a Dir-825 trying to set it up as a repeater i have tried to set it up with the other configs that im reading about here. but no go can some one pls help me i have ww-wrt ver pre sp2 i can see other networks it says im successful in conecting but no go

Well with language and lack of specifications like that no one is going to help you. I'm getting a similar problem though. I have a DIR-615 e3 which I've managed to make boost the signal of my main router but it doesn't give internet access for some reason, and I also can't connect to my router to use the webgui to try to mess with settings.

Whats wierd though is if I connect to my main router where I want to extend the signal I'll be getting like, 1 bar, and then when I plug my router in it boosts the signal to 5 but then I no longer get internet. What the fuck?

I think d-link is just a worthless piece of shit company.
KrissO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55    Post subject: Re: Dir 825 repeater setup Reply with quote
Krashnburn wrote:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
That's the procedure I used (maybe not in the order given).

First follow ALL steps (1 to 10) under "Instructions" at the top.
Step 5 Virtual Interfaces Section -> Make sure you use a different SSID, at least to start with.
Then browse down to Atheros and follow the remaining steps. Be sure to read the troubleshooting. A lot of people seem to have security settings making problems, so I recommend having those off at first to eliminate problems.
KrissO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did actually buy a DIR-825 yesterday and have managed to get a working repeater out of it.

At first I suddenly lost all connectivity to the router. When I came back from work later it was up and running again.

So here's where the problems started. One of my wireless adapters has dual band so I though it'd be nice to have a 5ghz connection to the router so I could communicate faster with the wired clients.
So I added another VAP and gave it another SSID. It seems the router didn't like this at all. After hitting apply settings a couple of times, both VAP's were now showing up on the network. I did at some point manage to get internet connections on both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz AP's on two of my pc's at the same time, but after reconnecting or similar it wouldn't give me internet on either of them anymore. Can't remember the exact details, either way it's having trouble. Even after removing the 5ghz VAP, I first had to re-add the other one, hit apply a couple of times and even restart the router to get it to work as normal again with a single VAP.

Has anyone else had issues with adding multiple VAP's?
kcmok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 23:44    Post subject: Re: Dir 825 repeater setup Reply with quote
Swashy wrote:

I have a DIR-615 e3 which I've managed to make boost the signal of my main router but it doesn't give internet access for some reason, and I also can't connect to my router to use the webgui to try to mess with settings.

Whats wierd though is if I connect to my main router where I want to extend the signal I'll be getting like, 1 bar, and then when I plug my router in it boosts the signal to 5 but then I no longer get internet. What the fuck?

I think d-link is just a worthless piece of shit company.

See my links here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=644203#644203
m_gardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 19:45    Post subject: Thanks!!! Reply with quote
bobbyboy wrote:
epper wrote:

Can someone help me on how to configure my fonera?

I tried to do what's written in the wiki:
- wireless mode to "client bridge"
- created a virtual interface

I think there has to been somethjing else to do, no?
I think for example that I should connect the fonera (dd-wrt) to the primary router (specifying the WPA 2 Personal password); but how? Neutral

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Hi i'm not an expert at all but this is what I've done to make my Dir 300 work(firm 12533) as a reapeter using a Fonera tutorial so should work even better for you.(sorry for my english i'm italian)
First I've assigned my dir 300 an IP in the same "root" of my router:originally my dir 300 was 192.168.1.2 but my router was 192.168.0.1 so I changed the dir 300 to 192.168.0.99
After that in the dd wrt panel:

SETUP:
BASIC SETUP:

Wireless setup
connection type: disabled
stp:disable

Optional settings:leaved the default settings

Network Setup
Router IP
Local adress:192.168.0.99
subnet:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.0.1
local dns:192.168.0.1

Wan port
Assign wan port: checked

Network adresss server settings
DHCP type: DHCP forwarder
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

SECURITY
Firewall:disable

WIRELESS
BASIC SETTINGS changed only these settings:

wireless mode: client bridge
wireless network mode: only G (probably should work even with "mixed")
Network configuration: bridged

When I created the Virtual interface i've chosed A SSID name different from the router (ex: Router was sitecom virtual interface was dd-wrt) and my virtual Interface settings are:

Name wireless: dd-wrt_vap
Broadcast SSid:enable
Wireless mode:AP
WMM:disabled
AP isolation:disabled
Net config:Bridged

Then in wireless security I've assigned Wpa personal(WPA 2 was not working) to the 2 interfaces with the same password(the same of the Router)

Obviously in the end you have to join your network: Status>Wireless>site survey

The dir 300 works like a charm for me!
I hope this helps you (and whoever needs a repeater)

I'm not sure if and how can I add the screenshot of my dd-wrt panel but I will try if needed.

Bye
[list=]

Well no expert or not you are the only one to provide a working guide for dir-300 and well structured too!

What could be added is to add the ssid for the Ap instead of dd-wrt under your section
WIRELESS
BASIC SETTINGS

I didn't manage to set anything but g-mode, however I managed to set personal wpa2 for security (set first on repeater and then on AP).
Thanks everyone!
[/list]
kalda01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:59    Post subject: Client bridge issues with WR941ND Reply with quote
I configured WR941ND as client bridge with V24-SP2 and I can access the LAN but internet access is only working for a minute or two.
I found that changing "Default GW mode" to manual under WIRELESS/BASIC settings and providing the IP of the main router, allows for a much more stable bridge connection
kalda01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 14:00    Post subject: DD-WRT builds Reply with quote
Where can I found older builds for WR941ND ?
TurboTronix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't make my dir825 connect to my dir615. I get ip address error. Also I got no repeater mode in v24 sp2.
freddy88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can connect my wrt160nl in client mode + Vap but only with router with sep and wpa security, with wpa2 I don't connect, why?
nilsleven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 16:01    Post subject: DIR-825 question Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to run D-Link DIR 825 as a repeater bridge (client bridge + AP). There's a strange problem. It works fine when I set the 2.4GHz radio (ath0) as a 'client bridge' and 5GHz radio (ath1) as an 'AP'. The DIR-825 sees the main AP and when I connect to the ath1, then everything works fine.

But when I try to make a VAP for either radio, the DIR-825 loses connection to the main AP.

So right now I can only use 5GHz on my 1st floor and yard. But I would like to have 2.4GHz coverage as well.

It's probably worth mentioning that _without_ encryption everything works fine. But as soon as I start an encrypted VAP, things go wrong. I have tried with WEP, WPA, WPA2, with both AES and TKIP, with the same passcode as the main AP, and with different, with the same SSID as the main AP and with different. I have power cycled the unit. To no avail.

Can you suggest some ideas what could be wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: