How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
well just for a update and another plee for help !!!

for getting the GUI goin i have it all ON the router
(a LinkSYS WRT320N DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896 )
i got it all installed and loading at startup first creating a SAMBA(cifs) share, and copying it over from there... this is how

# so for INSTALLING
mount.cifs //192.168.1.140/inbox /tmp/smbshare
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap.cgi /jffs/autoap.cgi
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap.exe /jffs/autoap.exe
cp /tmp/smbshare/autoap_090711.sh /jffs/autoap.sh
chmod 777 +x /jffs/autoap.sh
nvram set autoap_path='/jffs/autoap.sh'
nvram commit

# my STARTUP SCRIPT
mkdir /tmp/www/cgi-bin
cp /jffs/autoap.cgi /tmp/www/cgi-bin
cp /jffs/autoap.exe /tmp/www/cgi-bin
chmod 777 +x /tmp/www/cgi-bin/autoap.cgi
chmod 777 +x /tmp/www/cgi-bin/autoap.exe
/jffs/autoap.sh &

Now autoAP fires up fine, but i cannot acces the GUI by going to http://192.168.1.1/user/cgi-bin/autoap.cgi (with my correct IP)

and also even if i set up my own completely OPEN AP (which my phone can use fine) all i get is
00:53:47 Trying to connect to open AP: "gadget78" with MAC Address: 00:09:5B:B1:xx:xx
00:54:05 Failed to ping: "gadget78" Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Received IP Address: 0.0.0.0

and then after 5, ignores it .....
ANY ideas on either problem would be good Smile or on my previuos post too !!!!

Last edited by gadget78 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 21:21; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You seem to be on the right track, to be honest I eventually figured out hacking the script as well and ultimately it really just doesn't seem to work ... i resorted to using .NET and talking to the router using SSH, I had much more success with this but haven't yet managed to get it even remotely stable and kept running into issues that are either the AP's falling over or possibly some kind of network / routing issue.

I also struggle to get DD-WRT to forcefully choose a channel, no matter what I have tried it seems to always scan for the strongest one ... not really looked into it, whether that's an error with my understanding of how it works or im not doing it right i couldnt tell you.

Ive also had some brief attempts at screen scrapping to do the auto login on the captive portal, but that will take a bit more work as I couldn't quite figure it out yet.

For now I have found just leaving it connected without AutoAP and logging in whenever the session expires is working out more reliable with longer connected periods.

The other thing I have also gone for is 'client' mode as opposed to repeater, then just add an EoIP tunnel for each gateway that I connect to so to bridge the network. I think its more stable and it definitely squeezed more out of the connection since repeater reduced performance by 50% i believe.

if i get anything worth while on the script side of things I will share it.
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
were you able to get the GUI going ??
ive read on some posts that the newer build of dd-wrt somehow stops it running ? so im presuming thats the prob i have ?

Yeah i HAVE now actually got it to connect even to my 3G phone, but will ONLY connect to AP's after a power cycle.

which is the same as you, it isnt because of AutoAP just that AutoAP sets it up first etc
Also proved by the fact that it JUST WONT change AP's Sad which is the whole point of the script !
again im sure its due to the newer builds of dd-wrt and AutoAP is now old really!

Is there a way of manually logging onto BT openZone ? or does that work ok when in repeater mode (not near BTopenzone here at home !)

cool will test out using an EoIP tunnel for each gateway etc ..

Be Great to get Auto AP just working as it should with GUI!
(of course Be even better to get it as 'part' of the firmware for the future, in place of site survey or summit)
And then just manually log into captive portals etc

Of course anything you can fix will be great Smile

also im pretty sure its coded to connect to stongest signal, there is a setting to order it differently. not sure if that affects the connecting preference too ?
nvram set autoap_preforder=0
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
another post i know, but i just dont see why this is not more integrated into firmware with site survey ??
or just expanded to the client sections ??

anyhows it seems i have now maybe found the problem?
it does NOT seem to be selecting the right channel on which the AP's are on ?
althou AutoAP is switching over the SSID etc its not selecting the correct channel that its on ...
(but will swop over on power cycle sometimes, althou it wont connect for me !)

switching to AP mode, the 'Auto' channel selection is selected so thats not the problem by the way.
so maybe what ever is controlling channel selection, could be the problem thats causng it not to retry the channels etc when swopping AP's???

Plus it seems mine now even after powercycling will not connect, just wont log onto any AP's now Sad even after re-flashed !
tried with and without AutoAP enabled too

when autoAP is ebabled just get the
00:53:47 Trying to connect to open AP: "gadget78" with MAC Address: 00:09:5B:B1:xx:xx
00:54:05 Failed to ping: "gadget78" Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Received IP Address: 0.0.0.0
why is it even trying to ping that gateway when its not even attempted to connect !!!

what build version / router are you using tagbak ???
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
biomecanoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to run AutoAP on my AP for a while now can you point me to a guide to make it run on the micro version of dd-wrt, is that even possible ?

I am running dd-wrt on a netgear wg602

Thanks
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone here know how to turn off the repeater so that autoap still works but you can only connect thru the wire?

thanks
ghz24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20    Post subject: repeater vs client Reply with quote
Quote:
anyone here know how to turn off the repeater so that autoap still works but you can only connect thru the wire?
on the top set of tabs pick wireless or type in http://###.###.###.###/Wireless_Basic.asp changing the #'s to your gateway address then where it says repeater use the drop down menu to change it to client then at the bottom hit apply settings.
You may need to "remove" the virtual ssid at the bottom of the page before changing to client but you shouldn't have to.
ghz24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
biomecanoid wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to run AutoAP on my AP for a while now can you point me to a guide to make it run on the micro version of dd-wrt, is that even possible ?

I am running dd-wrt on a netgear wg602

Thanks

Micro is to small to hold the script locally you can try the "Dynamically Download" instructions here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap#NVRAM_Variables
I've tried this and it works for a while then the router freezes and needs power cycled to recover.(maybe you'll have better luck) There is a built in firmware on sourceforge but I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work right.(and it's very old) The only method I suggest is the jffs technique. (which requires 4 meg of flash)
It is rock solid (at least on a wrt54g GL)
johnvpr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tested all firmware on this tread on my wrt54gl an the best point I've got is that the list of AP is availeble but it cant connet to any!!!

is there any other router maybe with it's original firmware that can work as repeater and connect to strongest AP in a list?
johnvpr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone got autoap.sh running on a WRT54GL v1.1?

i've tested many firmware and autoap.sh but always get:
Failed to ping: "router" Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Received IP Address: 0.0.0.0
johnvpr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm now testing my wrt54GL 1.1 whit fw "dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.aapng.20070822RC1b.zip"

i've insert prefered Aps, but strange thing is that the only way autoap connect to a router with WPA password is to insert in:
Wireless-> Wireless Security->wl0
Security mode: wpa personal
WPA algoritm: TKIP
WPA shared key: thePassword

if i have in Wireless-> Wireless Security->wl0
security mode: disabled
I have failed to ping gw 0.0.0.0 ip 0.0.0.0
DougVL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I started using DD-WRT in 2009 on a WRT54Gv8.2 and it worked out well and made a great repeater. Since then I've picked up a couple other models of WRT54G routers and upgraded them to DD-WRT as well.

The functionality I would really like to add to them is the AutoAP. Most DD-WRT builds fail to work correctly with the downloadable autoap.sh scripts posted at SourceForge. And I've tried the one firmware version that I can find with AutoAP embedded in it. I've installed many versions of the firmware to test the scripts on. Some of these combinations work partially, from not finding any suitable AP's to not showing the name of the AP it did connect to. Many versions of the firmware go into some kind of loop while running the AutoAP resulting in a very high processor load and no response to trying to change screens on the web gui.

What I'd like to find out now is if it's possible to find a list of which versions of firmware contain the embedded AutoAP programming. I've only been able to find the one on SourceForge, and it doesn't work with any of my routers or firmware builds.

I've also tried modifying the two versions of the script available on SourceForge and having the router startup script wget them from my PC via its ethernet connection to a router running micro_plus_ssh and to another running the mini version of DD-WRT. But I can't find the conflicts between the script versions and the firmware versions. It seems to be in the results of the router's site_survey function output and the AutoAP script parsing that output. The lack of a reference book for bash scripting is also a problem. I can find some info on line, but it's usually a bit too unrelated for this beginning scripter to use. And I haven't found any references to the usage of the DD-WRT 'wl' and site_survey functions.
ghz24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:16    Post subject: I Reply with quote
I can post the "restore/back-up file for a wrt54g gl that has been running autoap for 2 years straight
but you'll have to use the same build version and model.
I used svn 12548 newd eko.
If any one is interested
S2Nice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) I am neither a coder nor an expert, so I can only speak from my experiences with AutoAP.
2) I've had it running on several different wrt54gX versions and firmwares, wget'ing the script from the sourceforge link or from my own server, but never has it once worked FOR ME with the "baked in" versions.
3) Maybe it's in the setup. Following the wiki instructions letter-perfect seems to work well for me, but going from memory doesn't always work out. There could be some unknown, subtle differences that make the wiki instructions for setup incompatible with the baked-in versions.
4) Try a hard reset, re-flash with a known-good dd-wrt version for your hardware, and follow the setup instructions letter-perfect for your best bet at getting AutoAP to work. That has worked well for me whenever I ran into problems.
5) Here's where the snake eats his own tail. Refer to 1, above.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 91 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: