Best modem to go with WRT54GL? This post in English/Deutsch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
midwich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 20:12    Post subject: Best modem to go with WRT54GL? This post in English/Deutsch Reply with quote
Hi there,
I have DD WRTv23SP2 running on a WRT54GL: and it is fabulous.

I am using a Linksys AM200 modem with it. Problem is: I'm a long way from the exchange, and my line's downstream SNR at night is usually 2-3dB. Disconnects happen a lot then.

I'd like to use 'DMT Tool' (http://dmt.mhilfe.de) to increase the target SNR on the line, but it isn't compatible with the AM200. So: does anyone know a good modem that works with DMT Tool, is known for dealing well with low SNRs, and also works great with the WRT54GL running DD WRT?

Thanks for any suggestions ! Very Happy

Hallo dort,
habe ich DD WRTv23SP2, auf ein WRT54GL zu laufen: und es ist fabelhaft.

Ich benutze ein Linksys AM200 Modem mit ihm. Problem ist: Ich bin weit von dem Austausch, und abwärts gerichtetes SNR meiner Linie nachts ist normalerweise 2-3dB. sich trennt geschehen viel dann.

Ich möchte ' DMT Werkzeug ' benutzen (http://dmt.mhilfe.de) um das Ziel SNR auf der Linie zu erhöhen, aber sie ist nicht mit dem AM200 kompatibel. So: kennt jemand ein gutes Modem, das mit 'DMT Werkzeug' arbeitet, bekannt für niedriges SNRs gut beschäftigen und bearbeitet auch großes mit dem WRT54GL, das DD WRT laufen läßt?

Dank für irgendwelche Vorschläge! Very Happy

Last edited by midwich on Fri Feb 09, 2007 23:29; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get one of the "Thomson SpeedTouch" Series... They are the best for crappy lines and they are supported by DMT.
I have one as well (SpeedTouch 516v5) and it works like charm Smile

Webcam Kiel
midwich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
CaScAdE wrote:
Get one of the "Thomson SpeedTouch" Series... They are the best for crappy lines and they are supported by DMT.
I have one as well (SpeedTouch 516v5) and it works like charm Smile

Thanks CaScAdE, I do believe that is excellent advice - I have heard nothing but the highest praise for Thomson Speedtouch products, and the 516 model looks exactly what I wanted and is compatible with DMT v7.31 too. There have been yet more disconnections earlier this evening, so I'd better get on with the ordering!

Thanks very much again Very Happy

CaScAdE wrote:
Erhalten Sie ein der "Thomson SpeedTouch" Reihe... Sie sind für crappy Linien das beste und sie werden von DMT gestützt. Ich habe ein außerdem (SpeedTouch 516v5) und es funktioniert wie Charme Smile

Dankt CaScAdE, glaube ich, der ausgezeichneter Rat ist - ich habe nichts aber das höchste Lob für Thomson Speedtouch Produkte gehört, und die 516 vorbildlichen Blicke genau was ich wünschte und bin mit DMT v7.31 auch kompatibel. Es hat dennoch mehr Trennungen früh heute abend gegeben, also würde ich besser an mit der Einrichtung erhalten!

Dank sehr viel wieder Very Happy
midwich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi CaScAdE,
well, I ordered a Speedtouch 516 and it is due to arrive tomorrow! I've been going through the manual already though, and I'm afraid I've one more favour to ask: how you think it best to link the Speedtouch 516 to the WRT54GL, so that both are separately accessible from a computer.

Here's my setup using the AM200 and the WRT54GL:

AM200 :
Connection Type : RFC 2364 PPPoA
Local IP Address : 192.168.2.1
DMZ : Enabled to 192.168.2.2

WRT54G :
Connection Type : Static IP
IP Address : 192.168.2.2
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.2.1
DNS : 192.168.2.1
Local IP Address : 192.168.1.1

My problem is: I don't think the Speedtouch 516 has a DMZ setting? Could I just forward all ports to 192.168.2.2 (the WRT54GL) instead in some way?

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
All the best,
midwich
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://modem.ip.goes.here/Help_Basic.htm#b_publicip_cfg
Quote:

Assign Public IP [Go to parent level]
Introduction

This page allows you to assign the public IP address of your Internet Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network. You might want to do this if:

You do not want to use the Network Address Translation engine of your SpeedTouch™.

This device is running server applications (web server,...) and you want it to be accessible from the Internet.

You can also achieve this by creating a port mapping for the specified server, as described in Game & Application Sharing.

This device has to be considered as the unique access point to your local network (DMZ).

It is not recommended to use this feature as this device will loose all security offered by the SpeedTouch™.
Accessing the Assign Public IP page

Proceed as follows:

1 On the Home Network menu, click Devices.

2 In the Pick a task... list, click Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device.
Assigning the public IP address to a device

Proceed as follows:

1 Click the Edit link of your Internet connection.

2 In the Device list, select the device you want to assign the public address to.

3 Click Apply.

4 The SpeedTouch™ prompts you that you will have to make some adjustments as a result of the new configuration, click OK.

5 Release and renew the IP address of the device.

For more information, see your operating system’s user guide or help.

6 If needed, reassign server applications to this device.

Webcam Kiel
midwich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this - so fast! I was actually reading this very section in Chapt. 4 of the manual too. I don't quite understand:

Does this mean the WRT54GL is assigned the 'outside' IP address, e.g. 54.212.45.23 or whatever (and maybe should be set to pick up a dynamic IP address then rather than a static one), and not for example 192.168.2.2?

I guess it might be clearer once I have the modem - I'll give it a go and see Very Happy
midwich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi CaScAdE,
good news on getting the Speedtouch 516 to work with WRT54GL router. The external IP address suggestion didn't work - although I was able to get the modem to pass the external IP details to the router nothing appeared to be working really - I think because my ISP is PPPoA, and DD WRT only supports PPPoE of course.

Instead, I adapted the settings below:

AM200 -> Speedtouch 516v6 :
Connection Type : RFC 2364 PPPoA
Local IP Address : 192.168.2.1
*** DMZ : Enabled to 192.168.2.2***see notes below.

WRT54G :
Connection Type : Static IP
IP Address : 192.168.2.2
Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.2.1
DNS : 192.168.2.1
Local IP Address : 192.168.1.1

The Speedtouch doesn't have a DMZ setting, so I just made one manually: I forwarded all ports (1 to 65534 from memory) to the IP address of the router (192.168.2.2 in my case). The way the Speedtouch GUI seems to work, this meant created a 'device' called the WRT54GL, with the right IP address first, then linking the port forwarding rule to it. I finally disabled DHCP on the modem, and then connected the modem to the router, and the router to the comp.

With an ISP using PPOPoA, I can now access from my computer either the modem (192.168.2.1) or the router running DD WRT (192.168.1.1), and so can apply DMT Tool to the modem very conveniently. Ironically, the modem is so much better than the AM200 that the SNR is very robust - and so I don't need to change anything!

Anyway, thanks again for your time.
occamsrazor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might also be interested in looking at this product:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor100.html

...which I am looking to get, although I've seen no reviews of it yet and it is a bit pricey.

Also, I believe another way to connect the two is with a PPTP tunnel, which avoids having the two on different subnets... although frankly I don't really understand too much about this. But have a look here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=688429

Cheers, Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: